washingcattle's STOP SNITCHIN thread (1 Viewer)

yeah so basically if we cant tell the truth we cant evolve. stigmasting someone with the ability to tell the truth, through the metaphor's of birds and as a 'snitch' if probably bad.

Even by your standards, Ann Post, your arrival at this conclusion based on your three quotes is subjective/convoluted/weird in the extreme. I... sort of admire this.

ah i left out a whole first part of that, i thought there was plenty in it as it was. chapter one would have been about how i thought the kerry rapist handshake thing was a liittle like 'to kill a mockingbird', or at least it reminded me of that quote. i think the kerry rapist handshake guys are snitches, they're all the lads out side the classroom saying 'it wasnt me dobbed you in' when somone broke a window at school.

Ok dude, discussion moved. I have no interest in philosophy, but I am interested in making the place I live into a nicer place to live.

Here an example from my own life - some local head-the-ball is dumping lorry loads of rubbish into the ditch up the hill, which is not only illegal and fucking manky but fucks up the (already poor) drainage in the surrounding land. Here's another example - someone in work boasts to me about how her extravagantly wealthy da is avoiding tax. Here's another - some fucker 100m ahead of me on the road is obviously pissed and a danger to other road users. You think I should mind my own business? Why?

Okay now let's be fair the example that that got all this started was of people fiddling the dole and my point was that this is none of your business. The pissed guy is dangerous and therefore it's not so much snitching as public service. In the case of the dumping guy it would be snitching if you just came straight out without any tangible proof and gave his name to the gardai as for the tax evader once again none of your fucking business. You're being wound up by hear say and conjecture, It's not like you have his tax returns on your desk. There is a massive difference between witnessing a criminal act and reporting it, and just going out of your way to get someone. The main difference is that in the case of the tax/dole fiddler/dumper they're annoying you, you know who they are and on some level you want them to pay for this (this may be overtly or subconscienciously) In the case of someone doing something genuinely dangerous it's your own safety that's at risk.

Basically you can pick examples of what is out and out snitching etc all day there aren't any hard and fast rules, but for me I draw the line between doing speaking up for the good of the public which is okay it is an honourable motive, and speaking up to just plain get someone caught because you have suspicions and they irritate you without ever having any genuine impact on your life. Slice this any way you like I'd say the majority of cases of "snitching" are done for vengence. If you want to make the country better we have democracy my friend stand for election.

I'm Dying with flu. and I'm not insane. Well possibly.

and again I don't want to sound like I'm accusing Egg at all.

I just don't believe that anyone "does the right thing" purely because it's the right thing to do. I could be wrong maybe Egg has an impecable moral code. The way Egg describes the people he wants to snitch on suggests that above all else he dislikes the person as much as the crime, I mean if it was his own father dumping or not paying tax it would be a different story. I'm sure any of us would have strong words but no one would grass on the old man right? I'm just saying it's human nature to do things firstly for self satisfaction and secondly because of the law (or well any other reason really). I mean surely this is not some new concept is it?

I'm suggesting that especially in the case of the tax fiddler Eggs issue is that the rich bastard is getting a break he's not and he'd like to get even firstly and secondly that it's wrong.

I could be wrong maybe Egg has an impecable moral code.
Haha. You've been posting here since 2005 and you don't know what kind of fella I am? I'm a force for good, dude

washingcattle said:
I draw the line between doing speaking up for the good of the public which is okay it is an honourable motive
Grassing up a tax evader or someone who's obviously too wealthy to be getting government aid is for the good of the public. The reason they can continue to do it is no-one snitches

hmmmm,egg is a force for good i've found.
the dumping one is tough,i fucking love the mountains and nothing pisses me off more than being in the middle of nowhere and finding some prick has dumped rubbish all over the place,wankers of the highest order.would i rat on em though...hard call.

Haha. You've been posting here since 2005 and you don't know what kind of fella I am? I'm a force for good, dude

Grassing up a tax evader or someone who's obviously too wealthy to be getting government aid is for the good of the public. The reason they can continue to do it is no-one snitches

I have no doubt of your good intent. And again I think this thread should be about the moral implications of snitching the all important why Snitch/why not snitch question.

I would say that the the reason that people can evade tax has nothing to do with snitch/no snitch culture and far more to do with inadequecies on the part of the authorities to actually catch, stop or punish anyone.

As I was ranting earlier the nature of snitching as morally ambiguous as any thing else in the human condition so what starts with "let's all help get the tax cheats" can easilly end in East Germany or Salem or the war on terror and has done over and over again through out history.

I would like to point out that there is a huge difference between reporting a crime to the authorities and reporting a person to the authorities and if the basis for reporting a person can be the slimmest piece of evidence like a claim by the suspects daughter or whatever then you're going down a very trecherous path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back