warp records lose the plot... (1 Viewer)

nEiLo said:
heard a bit of that on boomkat today... liked it and was thinkin' a buyin' it... but now ME = :confused:

To be fair, I heard a few tunes and thought they were alright. But when I saw them live... Oh boy did they stink.

Not only that, but they seemed to think the new Autechre album was worth releasing. Their albums always seem to take a few listens to get into but Untilted is the most underwhelming thing i think i've ever heard!!!!

i saw chok rock last weekend and i thought they were really good - more rockier than i had expected, but that funky electro rock that they do is great - a nice break from the repetitive stuff that afx and autechre et al have been putting out. i'll be buying it. as for maximo park - fuck knows

chutneyfarmer said:
Not only that, but they seemed to think the new Autechre album was worth releasing. Their albums always seem to take a few listens to get into but Untilted is the most underwhelming thing i think i've ever heard!!!!

give it a few listens;)

nEiLo said:
give it a few listens;)

I'll give it another few spins anyway. I love almost everything they've done and i've bought every cd of theirs that i can but i dunno, it just seems like there's no ideas on it or something. Draft, while not the most exciting album they've done, at least sounded nice. This one seems a tad lifeless. I dunno though, their albums are definately growers, so i'll hang on in there with it.

carddevil said:
as for maximo park - fuck knows

well warp are obviously jumpin on the postpunkfunk whatever bandwagon being driven by the futureheads and bloc party and are ca$hin in....

i think theres been a change in their signing policy since one of the 2 guys who started warp died.

to be honest (and this is all just my opinion), warp records have shifted from being one of the most interesting and innovative record labels into being just money-hungry unadventerous distributors of the most derivative lazy stuff. its been so many years since they were actually to be regarded as supporting the notion of quality control.

to be fair i think they're trying to move away from electronica, which has got very boring the last few years into something a bit more live and band oriented. hence maximo park, !!! and chok rock. there's so much electronica and warp imitators out there i wouldn't blame them for wanting to move into a different direction. they did sign milanese though, but his e.p. is fairly shite to these ears.

yeah i think so too. what they were doing when they first started sixteen years was innovative and pioneering... and innovative for quite a while but electronic music is not the ground breaking genre that it used - in many ways it has become boring. even on this board big warp fans and fans of autechre and aphex for example have complained about the lack of creativity etc. that said maximo park are not doing anything original either. may be warp have to sign them because sales of the electronic stuff have nosed dived. i heard that the first warp gig last weekend was only half full - five years ago anything with warp on it would be packed out...

there's little music that i've come across recently that i find new and exciting - chok rock appear to have something more that the average signed band and i thought that they sounded very refreshing. there's an english indie pop band that i have heard recently called beastellabeast that were good too. that american indie / electronic singer / songer writer khonnor - his album is great. as for musical innovative and pioneering i think we have to wait and see what emerges...

My favourite Warp stuff was always the stuff that was really weird and idm-y but that I could still dance to and still mix into electro/techno sets, eg some Autechre, some Aphex Twin, Phoenecia, some Richard Devine tracks, all the LFO etc.

Nowadays there are lots of labels releasing much better versions of the above, Warp have chosen the weird hip-hop, eletronic-indie direction which I'm sure loads of people like, but I don't like it so much.

I think there still is a huge amount of good music being released, but none of the labels releasing it are as big as Warp so a lot of people don't hear about it.

Some recent stuff I bought that's great:

Monolake - Invisible Force (Monolake)
Limbertimbre - One Big Hit (Pretension Records)
Grime Dubs - Grime Dubs Volume 1 (Werk) [Don't be put off by the Grime title, unlike mos Grime I've heard this is really good)
The new Autechre album, give it a few listens people, it's good!
Dynarec - Distant Signal (Nature Records) [this is about a year old actually]

Yeah, Monolake is pretty much out there on his own for electronica you can dance to and listen to at home. Pretty much everything I've picked up by him is brilliant.
The new Autechre album is great - best in years imho.

Warp pretty much has gone down the toilet though as a quality label :(
They always did non-idm stuff though - Red Snapper, Jimi Tenor, Nightmares on Wax etc. I just think that (!!! aside) most of their output over the last two years has been average at best.
You just have to look at their Arcola label to see that they've lost it.

At least Rephlex seems to have gotten it's shit together over the last few years.

Thayl said:
Warp have chosen the weird hip-hop, eletronic-indie direction which I'm sure loads of people like, but I don't like it so much.

a lot of the lex stuff seems to be pretty good, they've hooked up a lot of the anticon bize and that fog fella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back