Wanted - bass amp under 1000 euro (1 Viewer)

alansan

Must be:

- in very good condition with NO issues

- a separate power amp and cab, preferably equiped with a horn/tweater

- equiped with a limiter/compressor

- quiet at high volumes, ie. no hiss

- at least 300w

- capable of fitting in a medium sized car

Suggestions welcome.

Alansan

Have a look on thommann website.nice galien kruger heads for about 700 up.Cabs are expensive for bass.Im going to build my own.you can buy speakers from ampeg at about 70euro for a 10" and 85euro for a 12" and wood is pretty cheap.
alansan said:
Must be:

- at least 300w

Suggestions welcome.

Alansan

alansan said:
Must be:

- at least 300w

Suggestions welcome.

Alansan

i use (as does the dude from waiting room i think) a laney 4X10 with an R4 head, 300w. for under a grand laney or GK are probly your best bet, unless you build an aul scoop box yoursel

Thanks for the recomendations lads. Eoinbox, excuse my ignorance as I havn't actually ever used one, but Laney doesn't have the best rep for quality. Whats your take?

Tied an ashdown 300 watt head the other day with a fender p and it sounded great.You can get the 300watt head and 4x10 cab for 819 euro from that savage shop in blackrock near dundalk.The staff are cool too.

Beat It Music 0429321700

Thanks for that Brian, I'll compare that price to a few city center places. How would you rate Ashdown compared to GK?

I've heard that the Ashdowns have the quality that Trace Elliots were famous for. Actually TE is back in production having been bought by Gibson, interesting to see if the quality of their stuff has survived the corporate takeover.

Wouldnt be over the moon about the trace elliot sound.Its kinda dead.The Ashdown sounds pretty similar to the GK I played through but in fairness the only GK I ever played through was 100watt combo in loop,mighty sound though.The way I see it unless you are going for a fully valved ampeg head etc the difference between the decent quality solid heads e.g. GK or Ashdowns is pretty minimal.The Ashdown has a lot of adjustability soundwise on it compared to the GK though.If you can I advise you to visit that shop because the staff have no problem letting you try the stuff out.Not like the condescending cunts you encounter in some shops in Dublin.

alansan said:
Thanks for that Brian, I'll compare that price to a few city center places. How would you rate Ashdown compared to GK?

I've heard that the Ashdowns have the quality that Trace Elliots were famous for. Actually TE is back in production having been bought by Gibson, interesting to see if the quality of their stuff has survived the corporate takeover.

Does anyone else hate Trace Elliot gear? Whenever I've played through one of those yokes it just sounds fuckin awful. Really processed, ugly, stupid sound.

I have a Laney cab and a Peavey head. Both are really good I think. If I had the money though and didn't mind breaking my back carrying it around I'd get an Ampeg.

brian/heathons said:
Have a look on thommann website.nice galien kruger heads for about 700 up.Cabs are expensive for bass.Im going to build my own.you can buy speakers from ampeg at about 70euro for a 10" and 85euro for a 12" and wood is pretty cheap.

You can get really cheap guitar cabs from Thomann .. those Behringer things. Do dey not have the same for the old bass, no?

No I know the cab your looking at though.But Im actually going for that 4x10 ashdown myself.399 and I can buy it here so cant argue there.Im not a huge lover of trace elliot either Hugh.
hugh said:
You can get really cheap guitar cabs from Thomann .. those Behringer things. Do dey not have the same for the old bass, no?

i got one of these for around half price in a sale recently

ABM410Combo.jpg

ABM C410T-500 EVO II Combo
575W 4x10" + tweeter bass combo

i'd recommend an ashdown amp for sure....
(well, so far anyway...)

its REALLY heavy though...

ps: Hugh, your amp set up always sounded pretty good anytime i used it in the past...

swingkid said:
ps: Hugh, your amp set up always sounded pretty good anytime i used it in the past...

Ah yeah, I've no complaints but ...... I played through the Ampeg system that Richie Redneck bought and it sounds unbelievable .... I have amp envy ....

hugh said:
Does anyone else hate Trace Elliot gear? Whenever I've played through one of those yokes it just sounds fuckin awful. Really processed, ugly, stupid sound.

I have a Laney cab and a Peavey head. Both are really good I think. If I had the money though and didn't mind breaking my back carrying it around I'd get an Ampeg.

i fuckin hate traces, just an awful, awful brand.(tho i do sometimes bypass the eq and pair a trace 1 X 15 with my laney - its their eq thtat so sucky).
i heard they're back in production alright, i presume for another 2 years till they spend all their cash on lime green paint again.
ive never ever had a problem with the laney, its quite a particular sound tho. i always found the ashdowns a bit too subby and muddy for my liking, but if thtas what youre after theyre fairly solid, and not toooo expensive.

what kind of gear in in connollys? sounds intriguing....

Ampeg half stack, top of the range DW kit with a case of cymbals and bits and bobs the size of a very large couch, set of vintage guitar amps including a fender that i always loved, amazing sound. If you're really lucky, paddy'd let you use his guitars and basses - fender jazz and p, teles and strats - all round a seriously kitted out place.

This is good info, however subjuective, for an amp newbie like myself. Even though I've been playing for about ten years I've always spent all me sheckles on the bass itself rather than the amp. :rolleyes:

Jedi or Hugh, could you compare the Ampeg to the Laney/Peavey please. I presume the Peavey is solid state. All my basses are active so I was thinking that a valve head might the way to go. I've played through a few Gallien Kreuger and Warwick combo amps in rehearsal rooms with my Sting Ray for example, and I always find the sound very sterile. I also recently played through a Marshall head and cab with the same bass - nice and warm without the solid state farting distortion at higher volumes.

Swingkid, what kind of bass do you play through your Ashdown? Can you give me your opinion on the overall sound?

Thanks everyone.

alansan said:
Swingkid, what kind of bass do you play through your Ashdown? Can you give me your opinion on the overall sound?

Ephiphone Eb 3

It has a nice warm deep sound i guess...
The "sub-harmonic generator" and "value drive" dials are pretty cool...

I'm no expert whatsoever though, they have them in music maker. You should try it out there....

alansan said:
Jedi or Hugh, could you compare the Ampeg to the Laney/Peavey please. I presume the Peavey is solid state. All my basses are active so I was thinking that a valve head might the way to go. I've played through a few Gallien Kreuger and Warwick combo amps in rehearsal rooms with my Sting Ray for example, and I always find the sound very sterile. I also recently played through a Marshall head and cab with the same bass - nice and warm without the solid state farting distortion at higher volumes.

I'm not much of an amp expert so can't really help you too much here. Ampeg certainly has a deeper/fatter sound, really full. Definately better in my opinion but they cost a lot as far as I know .....

Go to a music shop and try 'em out if probably the best bet. I wouldn't trust impressions of amps in rehearsal rooms too much. They always have cheap gear that's totally battered around. You should go to that music shop in Blackrock near Dundalk as well. They have an amazing range of stuff .....

Like the man says, you get what you pay for, and ampeg gear is much more expensive than laney or peavey. If i were going for budget amps, peavey all the way. Very nice amps. But if i were buying an amp for life, without thinking about it i'd save for the ampeg, it really is as good as it gets.

Hi Alansan,
I have an ashdown rig for sale.
ABM300H = 325w tube / solidstate head
ABM210H = 300W 8 ohm with horn 2x10.
No compressor but it does have a tube octave.
fits very nicely into the back of my car, with room for more amps.
and I would let both go for €950
mobile 0872471798

all the best
Sean

alansan said:
Must be:

- at least 300w

Suggestions welcome.

Alansan

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back