WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CARTHY!! (1 Viewer)

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, how many times I gotta tella ya: we're unbeaten in our section, we scored two in Amsterdam before the Dutch even got the finger out. When Figo came to town half of the West Stand got up in a blimp and dropped a lofty on his desperate head.

When was the last time we were beaten at Lansdowne Road??

More importantly: why does everyone in Ireland act like we have a third rate side? Read this:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,542533,00.html

If we lose to the Dutch, Vinny, I'll even buy your pessimistic ass a consolatory ale.

Vinnie (31 Aug, 2001 02:16 p.m.):
You lot are worse than the English for delusions of grandeur. this Dutch team is capable of tearing us to shreds. If Harte is out we will be fielding an entirely 2nd string back four (possibly the worst since Phil Babb, Alan Kernaghan and Staunton started on the same team) against one of the most lethal strikeforces in the world. If the gods are with us we can get a point but God help us if they score an early goal. It could turn out to be a goddamn massacre. I'm still very very excited tho. Possibility of a World Cup. Oooh baby. If they qualify we can have a virtual celebration on this board.

*Lets off party popper* Woo woo

cyclotron (31 Aug, 2001 03:11 p.m.):
hp (31 Aug, 2001 01:01 p.m.):
Well Spurs may not be the Dutch back four but are they any better?

Are the Dutch back 4 any better ? I reckon so, yeah. Hard one to prove though.

Duff actually ran right through the Spurs midfield en route to goal, didn't he..?

And another thing, when was the last time a Dutch forward scored in a big game when their backs were against the wall?
Patrick Kluivert, France '98 v. Brazil with 3 minutes left when they were 1-0 down.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with Vinnie on this. I fear the Dutch. But I fear the 'Carthy also...

Ah yes Kluivert world cup 98 semi final, how many chances did he have on that night?Who won the game Brazil
Shit loads, Who won the game on penalties? Brazil
Brazil were a piss poor team at the time(as France showed in the final)
Holland should have got to the final with the amount of possesion and chances they had but Kluivert just couldn`t convert
Like against Italy last year
I hate to repeat myself but Holland`s footballers have no backbones
Agreed Staunton is shit but Razor Keane can win the game for us
Harte is fit also

we lost to scotland, that was the last time we lost at landsdowne. whihc was interesting because Harte dint play that game either and Mick 'Prick' McArtless played Kilbane at left back.

i feel suddenly unwell.....

Harte is fit also

yes...depending on one man to win the game against the netherlands is a very good tactic.

I prefer Angeline Jolie myself.

I thought Harte was out?

hp (31 Aug, 2001 03:28 p.m.):
cyclotron (31 Aug, 2001 03:11 p.m.):
Well Spurs may not be the Dutch back four but are they any better?

Are the Dutch back 4 any better ? I reckon so, yeah. Hard one to prove though.

Duff actually ran right through the Spurs midfield en route to goal, didn't he..?

And another thing, when was the last time a Dutch forward scored in a big game when their backs were against the wall?
Patrick Kluivert, France '98 v. Brazil with 3 minutes left when they were 1-0 down.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with Vinnie on this. I fear the Dutch. But I fear the 'Carthy also...

Ah yes Kluivert world cup 98 semi final, how many chances did he have on that night?Who won the game Brazil
Shit loads, Who won the game on penalties? Brazil
Brazil were a piss poor team at the time(as France showed in the final)
Holland should have got to the final with the amount of possesion and chances they had but Kluivert just couldn`t convert
Like against Italy last year
Harte is fit also

how many chances did he have on that night?
Shit loads
Who won the game Brazil
Ummm......
Who won the game on penalties?Brazil
Erm...Holland ? Ah shit, I give up.
Yeah. Came back from two-nil down against us in Amsterdam. Damn you bendy orangeists !!

i dint say we were gonna win with ian harte. i don't actually think he's any good, BUT he does have a left foot and that's where he plays. Picture this: Overmars legging it at Kilbane or Kelly on the left and them not having a clue. it diminishes our chanes of keeping a clen sheet.

still, if we score five, we might just wing it.

If we lose to the Dutch, Vinny, I'll even buy your pessimistic ass a consolatory ale.

I'm not being pessimistic. Really. With a full strength team i think we can beat most sides but with that back 4 (it's even worse than the back 4 against Portugal, a game in which we should have been 3-0 down at half time) I really am not very confident. Hopeful beyond hope itself but not confident. If we can get at them in midfield and not concede an early goal I think we can get a result. Also, bear in mind that this Irish team has pretty much picked itself for the last two years. Now with so many injuries McCarthy's tactical ineptitude will once again rear its ugly head. The last time this happened we found Ian Harte on the right side of midfield. *Shudder*

To all you doubters
Holland had no backbone
Kluivert couldn`t score on the big occasion
Hollands back four were as shit/good as spurs back four
Ireland won
Don`t mean to say I told you so
But... I told you so

i've been to nearly all our home games for the last 15 years and never has the whole crowd been so wound up and mental - i swear the sheer force of will made kluivert miss those sitters. and everyone stayed in the stadium for 10-15 minutes afterwards dancing around and whooping and not one bad word about the dutch, none of this you're not singing anymore attitude and the dutch supporters were fantastic. why is it that even though most dutch people are so down to earth their footballers lose the head so easily. kluviert and van nistle-whistle had lost the plot after two minutes and never looked like doing anything. kilbane was regularly beating the hell out o mechiot. overmars was however fantastic and it's a miracle holland didn't score but what a day. can you believe mcateer is 30!?! f!*k me, i'm getting old. bet you those FIFA goons land us in some shite hole in South Korea though (once we trounce whatever Asian part timers we end up playing in the play-off, what a larf).

anyways - Come On Cyprus on wednesday, oh wouldn't it be sooo good if Portugal slipped up (fat chance though).

make one yourself, just like an authentic estonian.

we arn't playing on wednesday are we? we're playing in october. portugal won 7-1 th'other night, which annihilates our goal difference. if we win 15-0 we might get through.. but still, no complaints. what a day.

joss (03 Sep, 2001 11:08 a.m.):
Where could I buy an Estonia kit?

"ESTONIA
Blue, Black, White"

You could just wear a blue jumper, black slacks and white tie!
Or write or mail the EFA

Estonia Football Association
Eesti Jalgpalli Liit
Voidu 16
Tallinn EE0012

Founded: 1921
FIFA Affiliation: 1923

[email protected]

Class result, poxt the footy coupon though,and very weird to see most of the pubs near me almost empty, even the all day shams had bailed and couldn't last the distance. Of course we're all fickle fux, dismissing the former hatred of bigmouth mac, should beat Iraq in the play-offs though. Dust off those mule Ireland songs for another blast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back