Vista (3 Viewers)

SONYMEGADRIVE

my new computer is shippin with vista preinstalled

what should i do?

just roll with it? turn off all the stupid aerovision crap?
wipe the whole thing and install xp?

vista pros:
- robert fripp sound effects

my new computer is shippin with vista preinstalled

what should i do?

just roll with it? turn off all the stupid aerovision crap?
wipe the whole thing and install xp?

vista pros:
- robert fripp sound effects
suck it and see

then check out Vista. you're paying for it anyway.

if you don't like it, go for a Ubuntu / Vista or Ubuntu / XP dual boot.

pete: no doubt

peter: how come? what badness y'heard?
i've not done too much reading about it because i have
better things to do with my time, but i mostly see people
ragging on it for ripping off other OSs / applications,
which i couldn't care less about

In the couple of vista machines we've had in work, the biggest problem seems to be with drivers. Techie contractor spent about 2 days sorting out his machine when he upgraded his old laptop.

We've also had some new Dell desktops with Vista pre-installed and even then some of the drivers didn't work.

Trucks, I dunno.

I didn't work on the machines but I heard people giving out.

Tell ya what, after years of learning how computers work by fucking them up in a bunch of different ways, the main thing I want outta my Pc is that it's stable and compatible.
Especially since I'm running extremely finnicky recording software.

As far as I can see, it's gonna take Vista a good while to settle down to the point where's it's as reliable as an XP SP2 install.
Why be one of the guinea pigs?

XP will work with pretty much any hardware/software you've got.

Vista might not.

In here, we upgraded a couple of machines to Vista because we figured our customers would be upgrading too and we'd need to support them. Turns out that some of our graphics cards (big, high-end, supposedly DX10-compliant nVidias) don't work with Vista yet. So swapping into an older graphics card, we found that the sound drivers weren't working either. And the networking was incredibly flaky. So we decided that our customers wouldn't dare upgrade yet and we went back to XP.

Not saying that you'll have the same experience - one of the machines we tried it on was a freebie prototype from AMD. But I'd say wait a bit, maybe until Vista SP1 when they'll have hopefully ironed out most of the bugs.

why be a guinea pig? because all new machines are coming bundled with vista - i have no choice - wiping it seems a little excessive. i'll probably dual boot.

i know the ehmms and maybes about it still being pre-SP, i'm just looking for any actual horror stories, not "well everything else always sucked" - i know that!

i've installed it on 3 machines

- a fairly recent dell laptop
- a shuttle XPC, nvidia nForce4 chipset, nvidia 7200 video card & a WinTV 150MCE tuner card
- my main PC - ASUS motherboard with onboard sound & NIC, nvidia 7600GT & another WinTV card.

In each case I put the 64bit edition on, which is meant to be a bit flakier than the 32bit, but I've not had a single driver problem with any of my peripherals on any of the installs. In one case I had to install an XP driver for a USB2 WiFi thingy, but that's it. Oh and Vista works way better with my camera than XP does.

My sister got a dell laptop with vista in it yesterday and it seems ok. Didnt install much on it but what i did worked fine.

I found one thing weird tho, when i pluged in my external hard drive vista picked it up ok but that old icon by the clock to disconnect it wasnt there and i couldnt figure out how to do it. What i did then was went to divice manager and clicked disable divice, hope that worked ok was in a bit of a rush.

Anyone got any ideas how to get that little icon by the clock back cause my sisters a bigger retard then me and will just flip out?

the main problems people are going to have is older hardware, since your pc will be new you should be ok.

Make sure you have 1 gig ram ( more if you can ) minimum, i ran it for a month on my home pc
its ildes with about 600 mb of ram with the effects turned off.

i tried the 64 bit version so i had loads of driver problems as there are not many 64 bit vista drivers out there yet. also loads of apps i tried when nuts when i tried to install them.

i would try and stick with it and see how you get on, all driver stuff should be ok for you. it is slightly more secure than xp and looks very nice.

i know alot of people wont touch vista untill there is a major service pack.
business wont touch this for at least 3 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back