Venues?? (1 Viewer)

kollin

I was just wondering has anybody (out of all the old gig putter on-ers here) ever applied for a grant to officially open a proper venue for gigs. Like say, under the banner of "youth club" (like The Warzone?) or something like that...Is it possible?

(There's a target on my arse, I'll give you three shots...)

1) Buying a venue costs more than a few cans of Dutch Gold.
2) Renting a venue needs people to sign contracts and ensure that rent is paid on time.
3) It would need to be in town, otherwise it's pointless.

Now take the above three points and create you own venue!

A start would be The Federation of Music Collectives in Ireland,
space 28,north lotts dublin 1(above Loop rehearsal rooms)
t: 8782244 / 8747970 f: 8726827 . The person to speak to there is Angela, she'll let you know of grants available etc. She used to be involved in the Cork Music Collective. The IFC has had dealings with Giro's and the Derry music collective also.

e: [email protected]

every time i've thought of doing that its always occured to me how much people in dublin take things for granted, and if one was to open up such a space how much extra work it would generate, eg cleaning... aside from all the hassle involved in actually getting the grant, finding the space, etc..

Kollin, we tried to do it a few years ago, before the Celtic tiger and were close. We set up a workers co-operative and got approved for funding but business people kept geting in our way. I have tons of info if you want.

Carmel and Ella have talking about trying to look into doing something like this again recently too. It's a fuck of a lot of work...but maybe its time to try again.

It can't hurt to try anyway. Galway has a serious shortage of venues plus the only rehearsal space here is over priced and has SHITE equipment...and every band around practices there. Niall, I would like to get that info off you. Giz an e-mail....

Kollin
I jsut sent you a private message. One thing we foundout pretty quickly when we were trying to do stuff. It is important to be involved because you want to be involved and not beacuse you thnk it's a good idea. There's a huge difference in that line of thought. It is a lot of work but if it's something you really want to do the workload won't be the breaking of you.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back