US work permits (1 Viewer)

dudley said:
does anyone know if there is a specific work permit for musicians travelling to the US?
US embassy is €3 a minute to phone, so trying to hold off on that 8)

€3 a minute jeez there just making it easier all the time to get to america:rolleyes:

i've heard from a lot of people that what to do is this:
there is a visa that allows you to carry out your business in the US but not actually earn any money. it's a lot easier to sort out, and your story is that you are going to the US to record your new album (not going on tour), all you need is to know someone with a studio who will sort you out with fake "contracts" or whatever. definitly enquire along those lines, it will explain all your equipment.
as for merch, fill your personal luggage with your band t-shirts, etc and its highly unlikely they'll reef through it all.

don't go under the 90 day rule, as you simply will not get. if you aren't carrying any musical instruments then you are fine, also if you fly from somewhere else in europe (ie not dublin or shannon, then you will also be fine)

its quite complicated actually, basically if you are travelling with a band from ireland with no visas, dont. even if you arent getting paid you still need a work visa. those can cost 1000 euro or more, the benfit being you can use it numerous times up to a year (again depending on what visa they decide to give you on that particular day)

PM me

The performance visa takes 6 months to get and costs $900 (from what I remember). You can get it fast tracked in 3 months but it costs a lot more.
Contact these guys:
http://www.tamizdat.org/
Mail Matt Covey ([email protected])
They provide the service and will also advise you how to go about it on your own.
Matt was in a band called Skulpey who were based here in the mid 90's.

$900! yikes!

we'll be lucky to earn half that 8)

we got through without visas before, but this time out i am feeling cautious about it.

i think the recording studio route is the way forward, but i don't know anyone with a proper company over there. or do i...hmmm

the guy who explained it to me had a recording set-up in his basement which he regularly recorded bands in. he sorted out the "contracts" with a few foreign bands and got them into the country no hassle. check it out.

damien said:
i've heard from a lot of people that what to do is this:
there is a visa that allows you to carry out your business in the US but not actually earn any money. it's a lot easier to sort out, and your story is that you are going to the US to record your new album (not going on tour), all you need is to know someone with a studio who will sort you out with fake "contracts" or whatever. definitly enquire along those lines, it will explain all your equipment.
as for merch, fill your personal luggage with your band t-shirts, etc and its highly unlikely they'll reef through it all.
Thats the one alright, non-paying gigs and business meetings is allowed.

Dudley, just all check in seperately. Don't all wear Dudley Corporation T-Shirts and act as if you are all travelling solo.

Just because you are carrying a guitar doesn't mean you need a work permit.

Are you bringing amps and drums over or renting them there?

lmd64 said:
Also change your name to the Dudley Social Club, so it won't seem like you're intending on carrying out cutthroat mergers and takeovers on Wall Street when you arrive.

If they ask if you or any members of yer family are in the IRA apparently its a serious question and they dont take kindly to smirking.

most likely backline is provided, waiting to hear

considering buying a guitar over there maybe too (and not having to bring one), as they is cheap....

the best bet is to fly from dublin to london or amsterdam or paris and then on to the states. the guys who do the checking in dublin and (especially) shannon are arseholes - for them, being posted to ireland to do this is the INS equivalent of been sent to leitrim or balbriggan or athy. so they do everything they can to piss off the natives

it could work out cheaper too, provided u are prepared to travel with air india - mmmm, air india lon to new york.

when u land in the US and clear immigration there, they usually just stamp your pastport, say have a nice day and resume eating their burgers

Pilchard said:
the best bet is to fly from dublin to london or amsterdam or paris and then on to the states. the guys who do the checking in dublin and (especially) shannon are arseholes - for them, being posted to ireland to do this is the INS equivalent of been sent to leitrim or balbriggan or athy. so they do everything they can to piss off the natives

it could work out cheaper too, provided u are prepared to travel with air india - mmmm, air india lon to new york.

when u land in the US and clear immigration there, they usually just stamp your pastport, say have a nice day and resume eating their burgers
you left out the bit where they look at the name on your passport and go "hahahah! Are you the Peter Brady!!?!" and you smile like no american passport person has ever said it before.

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Peter_Brady_t-shirt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back