US politics (5 Viewers)

Oh I just remember that my Da used to work in a slaughterhouse in the 70s/80s, and back then they used to kill the pigs with CO2 ... again I presume that means they died of anoxia. He said it was way more humane than the old way (which in fairness was just cutting their throats and letting them bleed out)

Oh I just remember that my Da used to work in a slaughterhouse in the 70s/80s, and back then they used to kill the pigs with CO2 ... again I presume that means they died of anoxia. He said it was way more humane than the old way (which in fairness was just cutting their throats and letting them bleed out)

everything is relative....

Some people deserve to die for their crimes.
The main problem with US capital punishment, for me, is that the system kills way more black people than anyone else. And the innocent projects turn up too many bad convictions.

I'd have no problem having Fred West or the likes of Larry Murphy squirm for 20 minutes under nitrogen gas. At a certain point, you have inflicted too much misery to be allowed go on.
I know that's not how everyone feels about it.

The main problem with US capital punishment, for me, is that the system kills way more black people than anyone else. And the innocent projects turn up too many bad convictions.

I'd have no problem having Fred West or the likes of Larry Murphy squirm for 20 minutes under nitrogen gas. At a certain point, you have inflicted too much misery to be allowed go on.
I know that's not how everyone feels about it.

I think that's a problem with the US criminal/justice system in general rather than purely the capital punishment end of it.

I probably feel less strongly about capital punishment in principle than given some of my other politics I should do, but it's terminal nature is unkind to mistakes, and I think there's a degree of hypocrisy about the practices associated with in the US at least.

I don't really believe in anybody "deserving" anything tbh, whether that's bad or good. The criminal justice system is actually useful because it mitigates risk - if someone has done something that harms other people then there's a high chance they'll do it again, so they get locked up for a while to keep everyone else safe. They get let out after a while because people change, but we keep an eye on them via the probation system for a while to be sure.

I don't really believe in anybody "deserving" anything tbh, whether that's bad or good. The criminal justice system is actually useful because it mitigates risk - if someone has done something that harms other people then there's a high chance they'll do it again, so they get locked up for a while to keep everyone else safe. They get let out after a while because people change, but we keep an eye on them via the probation system for a while to be sure.

apropos of nothing, but you've reminded me of something.

I read a book years ago about some of the theoretical basis of this stuff... there are as I recall 4 principles that are used to justify incarceration, (and with the exception of #3 capital punishment)

- retribution
- protection (of wider society)
- rehabilitation
- deterrence

each society, and indeed societies at different times, place greater emphasis on different principles.

someone who actually knows this stuff will be along in a min to correct me I'm sure..

Not so much applying to incarceration per se, but I assume one of the functions of the criminal justice system is to take that retribution out of the hands of the victims, or their families.

Is it easy to tell if a rat is stressed?
Yes. Extremely.

back then they used to kill the pigs with CO2
That’s what’s used now for rats. It produces a different physiological response compared to nitrogen and kills more quickly and effectively. It’s still been questioned now as being too stressful so it’s recommended to give a gas anaesthetic instead. Increasing CO2 causes hypocapnia, which is your body’s suffocation trigger system. Nitrogen asphyxiation will first deny you of oxygen, and then cause hypocapnia as your body uses all its oxygen and turns it into CO2.

In any case, CO2 is usually used by increasing slowly from zero to a low level which knocks the animal out. Then you ramp it up to kill the animal. It takes about 2 minutes to kill a rat versus (I think) about 10 for nitrogen, with the animal conscious for about 3-4 minutes at first.

Interestingly, the injectable used in US executions*, sodium pentobarbital, is also being phased out for veterinary/scientific purposes due to its short term stress effects on animals. It also is being restricted in its use as it’s frequently used as a mode of suicide by people like farmers who have access to it for livestock. Dignatas in Switzerland also use sodium pentobarbital but give it orally (which is presumably easier when the person wants to die).

*Although not right now as the EU has banned exports of it to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back