Unpopular Opinions (7 Viewers)

the usual sort of people who get invited on the late late to talk about mental health are the 'well, i won three all ireland medals but still struggle with depression' which is not the sort of person most people who deal with it would relate to maybe? he's more of a cipher so comes with less of that baggage, maybe?
Pun intended?

His fiction is decent, maybe not quite as good as it thinks it is, but i'd still recommend giving it a read.

I grew tired of his podcast but I suspect he reaches an audience beyond the usual alt-twitter crowd and has probably got a few lads thinking about their own mental health without feeling ashamed about it. A force for good if you will. His appeal is kind of shamanistic, which is interesting.
I bet he is Russell Brand underneath that mask

Its pretty fuzzy all in - Anyone who realistically works in mental health support isn't going to tweet shit about it or go on tv and compromise their clients unless they are a layer beyond direct contact, so the actual pro's aren't really going to be on the late late too often. So you get these poster boys floating around the country soaking up tax euro's doing talks and stuff with zero qualifications and that enrages me, but I can't speak for anyone else so if it served as a conduit for someone then grand. But also qualifications do have a meaning.

I bet he is Russell Brand underneath that mask

Ah no. None of the begrudgery.
I met him once in 2010(?), sans mask. He looked a very nervous individual, absolutely terrified to be in a busy pub.

The acting-the-sham for comic effect is not unique to bandits. The lads in school were far funnier at that back in the day. But somehow Bandits made something of themselves with that schtick.

It would be interesting to ask him about being depressed and going on telly and talking about it, when most depressed people can't do that. I'm sure he'd have a 60 minute answer.

Its pretty fuzzy all in - Anyone who realistically works in mental health support isn't going to tweet shit about it or go on tv and compromise their clients unless they are a layer beyond direct contact, so the actual pro's aren't really going to be on the late late too often. So you get these poster boys floating around the country soaking up tax euro's doing talks and stuff with zero qualifications and that enrages me, but I can't speak for anyone else so if it served as a conduit for someone then grand. But also qualifications do have a meaning.
I believe Blindboy does actually have the qualifications, but even with that caveat he doesn't go on tv as a councilor, he's there as a celebrity shilling his new book or podcast or whatever. I see no problem with him talking about what he wants to talk about, would you prefer endless hours of this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If yiz had even read the link prefuse posted you would see him specifically talk about how he WAS depressed and now he is not depressed but he has this thing called memory.

Yeah, anytime I've heard him talk about it, it's historical. Was listening to him on the Adam Buxton podcast last week, and he was referring to issues he was having in college and how grateful he was for the pretty much free therapy college gave him.

Don't think he's ever been on telly saying "I'm depressed and managed to leave the house", only spoken about the tools he used to learn to live with it and not let depression consume him again. Fair enough, I think.

the usual sort of people who get invited on the late late to talk about mental health are the 'well, i won three all ireland medals but still struggle with depression' which is not the sort of person most people who deal with it would relate to maybe? he's more of a cipher so comes with less of that baggage, maybe?
I'd actually disagree with you there. I think bringing guys like Mr. All Ireland on kind of shows that this can affect anyone. It doesn't matter how perfect your life looks, you can still feel like shite. There is a mentality of, and I'll bet ye'll all have heard this said at some point, "Sure, what has he to be depressed about?!" Loads apparently.
Here's my unpopular opinion, I actually thought Bressie was good for this. Not a massive fan of the guy or anything but he was someone to appeared to have everything but was struggling with huge anxiety issues and I do think he did a lot towards making it more acceptable to talk about amongst people who wouldn't normally.
I know people on here have said that if you're really that depressed, you're not going to be leaving the house but the thing is some people put up this great front but can be in a really bad way behind it. I'd say most people on this forum know at least one person over the years who's committed suicide and it's come totally out of the blue. The person seemed fine, was always great fun at parties etc. until it got proven otherwise.

What I said - "I naturally just think stuff like 'you can't have been that depressed or you wouldn't have left the house never mind went on tv to talk about it'"

That tends to be the first thing that pops into my head because of how difficult it can be to for instance get out of bed with depression, but that's not the same as considering that all the people being mentioned are in some way disingenuous about it.

Look certainly if I was gonna recommend a depression I'd go for the functional all Ireland winning type rather than the immobile food is a chore as is chewing and breathing type. I've heard rumours about how much some these people are charging for appearances and it really does not correlate well with my experience of mental health pro's and might just be a bit of feel good virtue signally as much as it might get a few lads to see things a bit better. Both are possible concurrently - doing either without there being room for criticism is a volatile thing, trained pro's should know that at least.

What I said - "I naturally just think stuff like 'you can't have been that depressed or you wouldn't have left the house never mind went on tv to talk about it'"

That tends to be the first thing that pops into my head because of how difficult it can be to for instance get out of bed with depression, but that's not the same as considering that all the people being mentioned are in some way disingenuous about it.
From attending meetings with other people with various mental health issues over 25 years, this a very common reaction from people who are suffering.
The people telling their story have recovered and their circumstances will be different from your own.

Someone today told me they were at an addiction centre and they were shown a video Russell Brand made on the subject.
Russ didn't get his message across well and kept digressing -
So it wasn't generally well received !

From attending meetings with other people with various mental health issues over 25 years, this a very common reaction from people who are suffering.
The people telling their story have recovered and their circumstances will be different from your own.
It's not totally clear to me what you mean. Do you mean that people who are currently suffering from mental health issues don't want to hear recovery stories? Is so that's v interesting

yes - people going though a crisis don't necessarily relate to someone on video who is talking about having problems w/ depression.
they may feel their own situation is worse or even pick holes in the story they are being told.
e.g. ''if he was depressed then why did he go to the pub ?''
some people relate and some don't.

''why do people with mental health problems not get treated separately from people with addiction?''
was a question I often heard in groups in the 90's.

hopefully things have moved on a lot with education but when you go into a mental health clinic for the first time it's a new experience whatever generation you are.

all the people I know who are bipolar have had such restricted lives that I'm left thinking how fortunate Stephen Fry is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back