Understanding Islam (1 Viewer)

broken arm said:
I think people should be able to practice their religion whenever, wherever and however they wish. And I would attest that religion has brought about a lot of great things worthy of my secular respect.
I agree.

Religion has often been one of many excuses to wage wars, but it's generally not the overarching concern. If it weren't religion, it'd be something else. Religion does a lot of people good, so I'm not going to begrudge them that. Plus, if religion were only the refuge of simpletons, then why have so many great thinkers been theologians?

Anyway, y'know what I think is funny? The fact that fundamentalist Christians don't seem to experience any conflict over the differences in some of the less-than-benevolent readings of the Old Testament, pithy statements from which are often used to justify the wasting of ragheads, and the much more peace-loving teachings of Jesus. Jesus was a hippie, but they use the bible to find new ways to hate hippies. Now that's delusion. And it's deeeeeelicious.

Reckon this is as good a place as any to post this beauty

nov5hilar.jpg

all i can say is that was a great conference. some amazing talks. need lots of time to reflect on what I heard and spend a shed load of time learning more.

broken arm said:
im mostly interested in the art and typography.

some of the detail and typography in the religious works make my eyes water
broken, if you like the art, like,
fly yo ryanair ass to granada or aer wing it to seville
you won't be disappointed.

lisa lashes, or whatever your name is
you are now a muslim

broken arm said:
I think people should be able to practice their religion whenever, wherever and however they wish. And I would attest that religion has brought about a lot of great things worthy of my secular respect.
I feel the exact same way. who are we to question other people beliefs. it's that's how they wish to live their lives then fair enough. I just saw the remake of the merchant of venice there in the cinema over the weekend and what really hit me at then end was how absolutely horrible it was that Shylock was forced to give up his judaism and become christain. It seemed fairer to just kill him.

also, individuals with very strong faith make for great conversations.

nokia said:
broken, if you like the art, like,
fly yo ryanair ass to granada or aer wing it to seville
you won't be disappointed.

lisa lashes, or whatever your name is
you are now a muslim
I intend to in January. I really didn't know much of the spanish links until the conference. One of the speakers on architecture, Professor Robert Hillenbrand (who was amazing), used some examples from Spain.

yeah, but if you go to granada either book ahead or get to the alhambra as it gets very packed very quickly. once ticketed go back into the town piss about in the markets, eat some food, got to the cathedral and look at the crazy altar sculpture, the sarcophogi.

fly to malaga, get bus to bus station, buy ticket (€9) and get on bus to granada (2 hours).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back