[UH OH! PLOT SPOILERS!]Donnie Darko (1 Viewer)

Doesn't Freud say that you are every character in your dreams? (Or was that Stefen Freund from Spurs? )

Either way, it means you are Nick Rhodes, which must come as quite a shock to the rest of Capratone.

i don't know what all the fuss is about.
fairly ordinary time-travel based story with amateur physics\psychology featuring the misunderstood \ bullied \ moreperceptivethanyoucanpossiblyimagine hero.
not big or clever. dripping in "cool" posturing. definite cult classic.

Originally posted by the watcher
i don't know what all the fuss is about.
fairly ordinary time-travel based story with amateur physics\psychology featuring the misunderstood \ bullied \ moreperceptivethanyoucanpossiblyimagine hero.
not big or clever. dripping in "cool" posturing. definite cult classic.

Are you talking about Nick Rhodes new album?

sounds like the next flaming lips concept album mayhaps?

in falsetto voice:

"there was a wormhole
i flew into it
there were bright colours
and then i died for mankind"

sorry Billy (and the others who suggested explanations), that doesn't really clear anything up for me.

I understand the basic explanation of wormholes and time travel, and the fact that that this makes for a non-linear narrative. My earlier confusion, which I'm still left with, is this: given this approach, why did the filmmaker present the non-linear narrative in the way he did? Is there any link to the story before and after the shooting? Sure, a minor change in one particular event can cause any number of consequential effects and life could go any one of a million directions from there. But simply illustrating this point in a film isn't really worthwhile in itself - in fact it's fairly obvious. Anyone who saw sliding doors could tell you that.

Also, I don't see any coherent basis for saying Donnie is God or the Devil - Donnie had no supernatural powers and no ability to affect others beyond that of regular humans. I think that references to the world ending are references to Donnie's world.

maybe I'm old fashioned in thinking the film must have a point and then trying to get to the bottom of it.

Anyway, I fully understand if everyone is sick to death of discussing the film, so i might just go see it again and this time, get popcorn.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
I understand the basic explanation of wormholes and time travel, and the fact that that this makes for a non-linear narrative. My earlier confusion, which I'm still left with, is this: given this approach, why did the filmmaker present the non-linear narrative in the way he did? Is there any link to the story before and after the shooting? Sure, a minor change in one particular event can cause any number of consequential effects and life could go any one of a million directions from there. But simply illustrating this point in a film isn't really worthwhile in itself - in fact it's fairly obvious. Anyone who saw sliding doors could tell you that.

It is a pretty simple film. It's normal for teenagers to be rebellious. Many great works of art are rebellious. Films like the Last Tempatation of Christ and the Evil Dead are rebellious. They break down barriers. And so wormholes are rebellious. Wormholes break through linear time. Rebellion is intrinsically human. It's a part of reality.
Both stories happen. So, in this film, one of the outcomes is devastating to Donnie. With him being "mad", outside the norm, being a teenager and wanting to break down the barriers (an artist perhaps?), he uses wormholes to rebel against the narrative that leads to this devasting end. The rabbit is an embodiment of this terrible narrative (where his girlfriend dies), and killing the rabbit opens up the possibility of redeeming the situation. Both stories are interconnected, and both happen. Just think of it as Donnie rubbing out the story written down for him and writes a new one. Except he does it in reality.

just to mix it up here

did y'all notice the colour red, it kep appearing at certain points in the film. There would be a very vividly red object on screen at certain moments (the flag on the golf course, the spiral on the engine, the flag again on Ms Mad Womans letter box, the red car at the end etc, etc, etc) I though that was deadly.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
maybe I'm old fashioned in thinking the film must have a point and then trying to get to the bottom of it.

i was talking about this the other night with a friend who's big into his films who was making the same case. on films like donnie darko we reached the conclusion that the problem is that it looks like its going to make an important point for quite a while and then ends up being a fairly ordinary story with no point. i mean if you go to the Savoy to see James Bond or XXX you know you're not going to learn anything but you'll see some mighty explosions and stuff but when you go to the IFC and things are looking intelligent after about an hour of the film you expect more out of it i guess. i did like donnie darko but i'm not convinced it's a classic.

Finally went to see it this evening.

One of the best I have seen in a long time.

I would lean towards the Occurence At.... interpretation.

The music and period detail is great. One of my best friends had a big Halloween party in his house Oct 30 1988, place was thrashed, broken windows etc. so the film was kind of nostalgic for me.

Definitely one to buy when the DaViD comes out in May

i liked it

i'm always doubtful about calling a recent film a "classic"

i dunno i liked it alot more than alot of other films i've been to in awhile.

did anyone see mulholland drive?
pure shite....

Homer: "brilliant!, i have absolutly no idea whats going on here"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back