• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Watched this again four or five times in the last few weeks - what an incredible film. I see now there's a russian remake called 12 where the boy is chechnian instead of black. Anyone seen it? Also the 1997 adaption with tony danza?

Anyways, i've spent a lot of time the last few weeks thinking of who i'd get to play certain jurors i were picking. I'm finding it hard to avoid some serious typecasting, such as James Gandolfini as juror number three (though i see now he played juror six in the 97 remake), but i still can't imagine anyone other than william h macy playing juror number two, philip seymour hoffman playing juror number four or steve buscemi as juror number eight.

Ideas?

Aye, i was battling over that meself but i reckon there's so much room for fucking it up with a reinterpretation - in the hands of the wrong people it'd turn into bloody Crash.

Aye, i was battling over that meself but i reckon there's so much room for fucking it up with a reinterpretation - in the hands of the wrong people it'd turn into bloody Crash.

Remaking it is de facto fucking it up.

At least with the other way you have a chance at gleaning something new.

i was actually a bit disappointed with the film when i saw it; i'd been led to believe that the jurors had their minds changed by sheer force of will (in a making them see the light sense), rather than in a 'look what new evidence we have' sense.

Sure, the original is perfect as it is, but re-casting it in your mind is fun.

I too had Gandalfini in the Cobb role.

The big one though is who would replace Fonda. It's so temping to go for some indie character actor, but I think the results would be saccharine. So it would probably have to be an unknown. That or Freddie Prinz Junior.

Also, would they all have to be white males for the script to work? (other than the name of course)

Re-interpreting it, like the Chechen one there, with new prejudices and such is a much better idea.

i'd say its just the same as the usual american remakes, like 'the kid cant be black, eh, make him j-lo's son instead', basdcially morals superimposed on a salable demographic, rather then reinterpretation.

The big one though is who would replace Fonda. It's so temping to go for some indie character actor, but I think the results would be saccharine. So it would probably have to be an unknown. That or Freddie Prinz Junior.
True. For some reason though i've been focusing on the other guys. I think john leguizamo would be great as number six for the bit when number three shouts at the old man and he threatens to knock him out. I reckon william h macy would be good as fonda's character though, he has the ability to go from sort of underdog to leader of the pack pretty easy, though his typecasting as a beat down type might undermine his leading the room at the end.
Also, would they all have to be white males for the script to work? (other than the name of course)
Depends on how much you want to change it i suppose. Like the racism stuff that's in there wouldn't wash now because that kind of bald faced arseholeishness would never get past eleven other people. If it was set in the 50s, you could have it white males, but if you update it and change the sexual/ethnic balance of the room, a you'll have to make the black defendent hispanic or mexican, which means you'll have to fairly overhaul the whole thing, as changing one little thing will have a knock on effect. Read the synopsis of the russian one, some of it sounds like a bridge too far to me.

If it was set in the 50s, you could have it white males, but if you update it and change the sexual/ethnic balance of the room, a you'll have to make the black defendent hispanic or mexican, which means you'll have to fairly overhaul the whole thing, as changing one little thing will have a knock on effect. Read the synopsis of the russian one, some of it sounds like a bridge too far to me.

Just make the defendant an Arab.

Saw the play in Dublin a few years ago & it was pretty class.
Some guy from Fair City was in it.

Saw the play in Dublin a few years ago & it was pretty class.
Some guy from Fair City was in it.

I saw it in Andrews Lane.
At the performance I was at a sprinkling of people throughout the audience thought the racist juror was hilarious. They also found the Fair City guy breaking down in tears amusing the point of laughter too.

I saw it in Andrews Lane.
At the performance I was at a sprinkling of people throughout the audience thought the racist juror was hilarious. They also found the Fair City guy breaking down in tears amusing the point of laughter too.

Think I saw it in the Olympia.

Just as the Fair City guy was breaking down & a hush came over the audience a mobile phone went off.
It was so incredibly well timed it was almost funny.

Think the woman who's phone it was was in a neck brace or something.
Either was she couldn't get the phone out of her bag so we had to sit & wait for it to ring out.

It finally stopped & then after a couple of seconds of silence came the text message noise as the caller had left a voicemail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back