TV/digital/dvd recorder set up question (1 Viewer)

Catwoman

I've just bought a dvd recorder. I have the same problem I had with the video recorder - it will only record the channel I'm watching at the time. Now my tv is a UK model which means the frequencies are different, but surely if the recorder is connected to the NTL box there shouldn't be a problem? :confused:

Catwoman said:
I've just bought a dvd recorder. I have the same problem I had with the video recorder - it will only record the channel I'm watching at the time. Now my tv is a UK model which means the frequencies are different, but surely if the recorder is connected to the NTL box there shouldn't be a problem? :confused:

You can't tune into separate channels coming from the output of a digi box. The digi box does the tuning and outputs a single channel. You'd have to buy some eqiuipment that connects to the cable that feeds into your digi box from outside the house. There are some boxes you can get but it doesn't always work well and usually stops working after a while because the signal coming from ntl is encrytped and they change the encryption every few months. If you do some searching on the new you should be able to find someone that can give free multiroom options for digital t.v. and feed one of them directly into your dvd recorder.

Wayne said:
You can't tune into separate channels coming from the output of a digi box. The digi box does the tuning and outputs a single channel. You'd have to buy some eqiuipment that connects to the cable that feeds into your digi box from outside the house. There are some boxes you can get but it doesn't always work well and usually stops working after a while because the signal coming from ntl is encrytped and they change the encryption every few months. If you do some searching on the new you should be able to find someone that can give free multiroom options for digital t.v. and feed one of them directly into your dvd recorder.

Cheers for that. I was wondering cos when we had cable we could record ok, but as soon as we switched over to digital... Well that's cleared that up!

One of the ironies of digital tv over the regular cable set up is the inability to watch one channel and record from another.

We got round it by having two separate digiboxes in different rooms as Wendy and I watch varying stuff.

What type of DVD recorder did you buy? I'm thinking of taking the plunge from VHS as videotapes are literally everywhere in my room. Take up too much space.

DVD recorders are just like shiny vhs systems, you still end up with loads of things you never watch again. Make the jump to HDTv and then you can watch and delete and watch and delete, only saving the good stuff.

Of course some people like the 'having', there's a clutterers pride in having piles of stuff for stuff's sake.

sayin...

Igor said:
Back on topic, if your digibox is coming in on the AV channel then surely you can record that channel while watching something else, can't you...?
Not if your only source for channels is the digibox. The AV output from the box produces the same channel as the coax output. If you have an antenna, you could use that to watch irish channels while recording one of the digital channels.

nlgbbbblth said:
One of the ironies of digital tv over the regular cable set up is the inability to watch one channel and record from another.

We got round it by having two separate digiboxes in different rooms as Wendy and I watch varying stuff.

What type of DVD recorder did you buy? I'm thinking of taking the plunge from VHS as videotapes are literally everywhere in my room. Take up too much space.

Yeah, is this what they call progress?

I got a Panasonic dvd-ram. I haven't actually recorded anything off it yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back