Turning into a caricature of stage Irishness the moment you leave the country (1 Viewer)

erbs is annoying, as i bay-sil and oreg-a-no
however, aluminum is spelt that way. so it's not a pronounciation thing, it's cos it's spelt different.

the cunts.

I know. Thats what I mean. How about Ireland just decides to call titanium "tanium", cause it saves on syllables.
Like, that second T always got on my tits. Lets just drop it. Sound. Motion passed.

HELL NO. CANADA IS FULL OF LOSERS WHO LITERALLY GO OUT FOR ONE DRINK. "I HAD A CRAZY NITE DERE...DIDN'T GET HOOME TIL ONE O'CLOK!!"

FUCKIN' HELL. YOU DON'T EVEN GET THE CHANCE TO STRUT YER STUFF. AND THEY DON'T SWEAR. IT'S SHOCKIN'. MAKES YA SWEAR MORE YOURSELF.

THEY DO GET GRASS WITHOUT EQUAL THOUGH. IT'S FUCKIN' EVERYWHERE TOO. HOLY MOLY. I FOUND MYSELF BECOMING MORE CANADIAN BUT RETAINING MY THIRST AND FUCKIN' LANGIDGE...

I DID WEAR MY ARAN FLARES THE WHOLE TIME THOUGH.

ALLAHQUAANNNDAIDH!!!

When did corriander become cillantro?

A quater of an hour after Ireland as a whole become posh. (This would be the whole republic, as opposed just just the D4 and Dalkey heads being posh, since they were always posh anyway. And when I say they, I mean we. Me. Northern Ireland is still not posh. You can buy Corriander there still AFAIK.)

Cunts.

I have so many of these from the summer in texas tis ridic.

Shouted out "cunts" when I was getting a lift with the middle aged hispanic lady I stayed with. She wet herself laughing.

Had one of the students in the school I was working in using expressions like "ye rat bastard" and " I need a young wan".

And I swear to god this happened:

I was in the library on the computers when one of the kids starts chattin to me. Now when I say kid the guy was more than 17 for sure
Kid: hey bro you going back to ireland?
Me: Yeah next week
Kid: You had a good time here?
Me: yeah it's been great.
Kid: Have you learned much english?

I was talking to this girl and her friend in a bar in LA. As soon as the girl found out I was Irish she asked me what religion are you? I was kind of annoyed by the question and was trying to guess which would upset her most so I said that we were staunch protestants.

This look of revulsion came over her so to freak her out further I says "Ave Maria gratia plena domins tecum benidictus tu ......." ie the Mail Mary in latin.

This put her completely over the edge and she started squealing "stop stop stop" like I was puting a black protestant curse on her fat arse.

I have so many of these from the summer in texas tis ridic.

Shouted out "cunts" when I was getting a lift with the middle aged hispanic lady I stayed with. She wet herself laughing.

Had one of the students in the school I was working in using expressions like "ye rat bastard" and " I need a young wan".

And I swear to god this happened:

I was in the library on the computers when one of the kids starts chattin to me. Now when I say kid the guy was more than 17 for sure
Kid: hey bro you going back to ireland?
Me: Yeah next week
Kid: You had a good time here?
Me: yeah it's been great.
Kid: Have you learned much english?

When I was in Texas and told people that I was from Ireland 90% of them asked me if I said "Arlington."

I can see this turning into the anti-american thread very quickly.

but I got a bit angry recently when a friend who is going to college in Orange County told me that all her roommates and friends, and some of her lecturers still think Ireland is British.

but then , if I lived that far away, i wouldn't give a long stale garlic fart about Ireland .

I can see this turning into the anti-american thread very quickly.

To be fair... since I have been here, while Americans often have very little idea about what is going on in the rest of the world, Chinese people often seem to have quite a lot less of an idea.
Now, I am not saying I know the finer points of Chinese politics and culture... but the level of havnt a bleeding notion about whats going on in the world a lot of the (very clever) Chinese have, is pretty amazing.

For example... and, I shit you not here, I was talking to a programmer chick I work with here, and I was saying how it was a bit tough for this guy I know cause his first name was Osama.
Silence.
You know, his name is Osama, like Osama Bin Laden...
Silence. Who?
(Thinking it was my pronounciation). You know... Osama Bin Laden... that whole Al Qaeda thing.
The what?
Have you ever heard of Osama Bin Ladin?
No.
Oh. Right...emmm. He... ehh, well, he is sort of meant to be involved with this group called Al Qaeda.
Ahh. I see. Hmm.
Yeah. Hmm. Lets talk about Java.
Ok.

I mean... she has been her for 3 years. Like... that is some fairly hard core not reading the news.

But, as I said... I am no genius on China... so maybe I should chill. :eek:

it solantro isn't it? it's spanish anyway. that's allowed cos it like spanish has a different word for everythig.

I thought it was cilantro.
Anyway, I was in south america, eating cilantro on everything, telling everyone that "we dont have this in ireland", for four months.

Then I came back, and realised it was coriander, and I just never ate it before. It tastes like earth anyway.

Fucking great thread. Savage altogether.

"Jaysis horse, I'm full as a gypsys diddy"

My Lord old bean, I'm quite sated by that meal I've just ingested.

Diddies, there's a great word.

Also, stall the ball.

I thought it was cilantro.
Anyway, I was in south america, eating cilantro on everything, telling everyone that "we dont have this in ireland", for four months.

Then I came back, and realised it was coriander, and I just never ate it before. It tastes like earth anyway.
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.htmlhttp://dictionary.reference.com/cit...ictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=cilantro co‧ri‧an‧der  /ˈkɔr
thinsp.png
iˌæn
thinsp.png
dər, ˈkoʊr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kawr-ee-an-der, kohr-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun an herb, Coriandrum sativum, of the parsley family, native to Europe, having strong-scented leaves used in cooking and aromatic seeds used as a seasoning and in medicine.
Also called Chinese parsley, cilantro.

there you go. when i was in frisco it was called solantro. but that's when i got the indian pizza. which may have been the worlds greatest thing.

anyway, yanks have so many words for so much crap it can be a terribly confusing gaff altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back