Trigger Warning (5 Viewers)

As a person with a bit of knowledge, I'm with Randi Lee. Even if, God forbid, she's aggressive.

If you're in 'the fight against online harassment' and calling people train wrecks, a fucking idiot, accusing them of being a fucking moron and a fucking airhead you're probably not doing that fight any good.
Send a message if you feel you must but not in such an aggressive fashion.
She's nuts.

And after all that: what is doxing?
dox
dɒks/
verb
informal
gerund or present participle: doxing
  1. search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.
    "hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"

If you're in 'the fight against online harassment' and calling people train wrecks, a fucking idiot, accusing them of being a fucking moron and a fucking airhead you're probably not doing that fight any good.
She's nuts.
Hard to know what to make of it. Any criticism directed at her or negative stories could be orchestrated by angry gamer types. Must read later

She's nuts.
Ok let me put it like this:

Based purely on her piece there Candace Owens is a poor innocent fucking moron, fucking airhead and a fucking trainwreck who is way out of her depth. I'm sorry if that's not statesmanlike enough for you but oh god, I don't care.

As for conservative news agency Breitbart taking time out of their busy schedule to go after a single woman in the entire of the gamergate controvesry.... yeah well done. You got me. It's about ethics in the gaming industry if you sit down and think about it rationally.

But she could be genuine. In her (high achieving, high powered, money oriented) world she may never have come across Zoe Quinn. I had heard of 'gamergate' but not her name until today.

There's no way on earth that you can do more than5 minutes googling the word cyberbullying and not be aware of Gamergate or Doxing.

It's unpossible.

So what the hell is she doing setting up a kickstarter yet knows nothing about the subject. Weird.

Common enough tactic among the irrational though, isn't it?
Getting personal rather than dealing with the issue.

Ok let me put it like this:

Based purely on her piece there Candace Owens is a poor innocent fucking moron, fucking airhead and a fucking trainwreck who is way out of her depth. I'm sorry if that's not statesmanlike enough for you but oh god, I don't care.

As for conservative news agency Breitbart taking time out of their busy schedule to go after a single woman in the entire of the gamergate controvesry.... yeah well done. You got me. It's about ethics in the gaming industry if you sit down and think about it rationally.

I'm not asking that you care, just that someone who claims to be anti-bullying acts in a manner befitting that vocation.
Sure Breitbart are 'conservative' but what media outlet doesn't have a bias? Besides which, the message is what matters, not the messenger; as before, she's nuts.

The message is that this Candace person doesn't know what she's talking about. If the person to tell her this is nuts, so be it.

Given her history I wouldn't be at all surprised if herself and Quinn were behind the bullying of Candace. Harper comes across as a thoroughly nasty individual.
To be honest Ted, this reminds me of the "we have to be twice as good" thing that has been a mantra for African Americans for years.

It doesn't matter that these women have been on the receiving end of abuse from literally thousands of men for years; it doesn't matter that they have been campaigning against abusive, internet behaviour for years, it doesn't matter that a supposed news organization goes out of its way to delve into their histories to personally smear and discredit them in any way possible (BTW Breitbart's take on Gamergate is almost entirely written by this eejit)

But no, if they react in any way that isn't like an absolute saint to even one person (who has literally no idea what they're doing)... well, forget it. Clearly the real issue is themselves. They're basically asking for it.

Of course it matters that these women (or indeed anyone) have been on the receiving end of years of abuse, I just would have thought that being in such a position would make one more sympathetic to those trying to fight the same fight. And as that Breitbart piece explains, Harper has a history of being a bit of a shit, this isn't an isolated incident for her.
As I said at the start, I know little about any of these people but from that perspective Owens had a well intentioned idea (whatever its faults) and the reaction to that was, well, to bully her.

There's no way on earth that you can do more than5 minutes googling the word cyberbullying and not be aware of Gamergate or Doxing.

It's unpossible.

So what the hell is she doing setting up a kickstarter yet knows nothing about the subject. Weird.

Owens claims to know lots about the subject of cyber bullying , and goes into a fair bit of detail about that in her piece, but has a wildly different understanding of it than Quinn and Harper.
It's very strange. From her post it appears she did lots of research and had it scrutinised and evaluated by others along the way. And yet she says she never heard of these people. I don't understand why she'd concoct a story like this. Maybe she and her peers exist in a bubble , as do the gamer gate victims, and this was the first time their paths crossed. I dunno. Id be surprised if more than 5 people I know had heard of gamer gate. All very strange.

Why can't we all get along?

The videogame industry is valued at about 90+ billion dollars. By way of comparison this is a good 70 billion dollars more than the music industry and on par with the entire of the film industry worldwide.

Gamergate affected all video game companies directly and is still ongoing(or maybe it's all just a big feminist-run media conspiracy, sure why not).

Now, with all that said, I know it it is quite possible to be ignorant of all of these industries. However, as someone who claims to be a signed up capitalist coming from wall street she'd want to be trying pretty fucking hard.

So... you think she's lying and all of this is some sort of conspiracy against those two women? I can't get my head around this.

So... you think she's lying and all of this is some sort of conspiracy against those two women? I can't get my head around this.
Nah, I still say she's probably being honest about that part, just utterly, utterly clueless.

I would strongly question exactly how well researched her idea was, and who her "network" who "loved" the idea were, and what the number of signed on high schools, teachers and parents throughout the state of Connecticut who had seen my article and wanted to get involved actually is. All her links to her work in the piece all link to her own website, the kickstarter page is amateurish as hell and her reaction to the whole thing has been to jump straight into conspiracy theories of cyber-terrorism against her.

She ends her piece stating that she believes that internet trolling is a business that has profit margins that would ripple our economy if it came crashing down

Oh, if only.

In fairness, I suppose it's a good reminder on how badly the internet is still understood, even by those who grew up as internet "natives", that people still think the motivation behind internet trolling must be that they're doing it for money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back