Treating Drums on Reason (1 Viewer)

Stereobaby

Is it really required or are the samples already decent enough and just require a bit of tweaking of velocity / pitch / gate etc.

I am generally happy with the kick sounds on reason especially the fact that you can double and triple up on them but I find it difficult to get a decent snare sound.

Any suggestions on getting a better snare sound.

Is it best to compress the drums to get a punchier sound or does it end up sounding too compressed.

Any suggestions with using reverb?

Help would be sweet.

Cheers dudes,

Most of the Redrums kits benefit a good bit from treating...especially compression.

You could consider looking at the Combinator drum patches...they already have the compression and effects already hooked up.

A tiny delay on the snare might liven it up for you.

A bit of Scream distortion is nice sometimes too.

For Reverb, set up the Digital reverb on the Mixer and apply it as a send effect...there are 2 sends on each Redrum channel, or else you could press TAB and wire each redrum channel to the mixer separately and apply sends & effects to individual kit parts.

Most of the Redrums kits benefit a good bit from treating...especially compression.

You could consider looking at the Combinator drum patches...they already have the compression and effects already hooked up.

A tiny delay on the snare might liven it up for you.

A bit of Scream distortion is nice sometimes too.

For Reverb, set up the Digital reverb on the Mixer and apply it as a send effect...there are 2 sends on each Redrum channel, or else you could press TAB and wire each redrum channel to the mixer separately and apply sends & effects to individual kit parts.

Cheers,

Yeah using the sends to send to reverb and compression alright. Actually do it both ways ie. applying a compressor to the mixer or applying it to the individual drum part.

Traditionally I take it that it is better to compress each drum part indivdually or by applying a compressor across the channel does it give it a more balanced sound.

Will try the delay on the snare alright.

As regards the scream distortion, do you mean tweaking some of the drum presets?

Thanks again

the scream distortion unit has a sweet setting called "tape" which i find really nice to use as compression. you could always create your own snare sound with two subtractors, one for the typical drum hit sound (turn kbd off, give it an instant attack and virtually no decay) and the other use white-noise (gives the hiss). could also turn up the rm a little for a more metallic sound, but just a touch. a little playing around should do it. for reverb, you cant go wrong with the rv7000 unit, its lovely.

yeah a bit of tape distortion is nice, I almost always compess drum but I like em heavy.
One thing to do is always compress the cymbals seperately (or not at all) because they are at a hight freq they will sound funny going through the same compression.Or just use multiband compression, there are some presets in the combinator for this.
Hope that helps

Cheers,

Yeah using the sends to send to reverb and compression alright. Actually do it both ways ie. applying a compressor to the mixer or applying it to the individual drum part.

Traditionally I take it that it is better to compress each drum part indivdually or by applying a compressor across the channel does it give it a more balanced sound.

Will try the delay on the snare alright.

As regards the scream distortion, do you mean tweaking some of the drum presets?

Thanks again

I only ever bother compressing the kick(s) and snare(s) and yep, I would use 2 different compressors. Normally I would nip round the back of the Redrum, plug out the default wiring for the Kick channel, and wire the Kick channel straight into a compresser, then into a mixer channel...this way you have the compressor set as an insert.

You mentioned that you are 'sending' compression...you shouldn't typically have compression set up as a send effect, since you'll still hear the uncompressed sound IN ADDITION to the compressed sound (sometimes you might want to send compression on purpose, say if you wanted to get that side chain squashed drum thing going on)

RE: Scream...I'd say just run your Redrum through the Scream and tinker around with the Scream settings.

Cheers men.

Yeah I use the tape compression on the Scream a good bit for other stuff. Must give it a shot over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back