TOTAL DISGRACE! (2 Viewers)

Dave- another means to further alienate drug users/former drug users. Everyone else who gets fucked over and compo-ed gets money but they don't (or do you suggest the state should check if say, abuse victims are alcoholics/former alcoholics, just in case?). Super patronising. They aint children.

Yeah i suppose you're right but like abuse victim compensations its only being paid out to pacify or put a gag order on the recipient and/or save face for the people paying out.

If one is willing to pay out and the other is willing to take well then thats that i suppose.

Why are compensation pay outs so much higher in the US?

People are sent to prison. This is their punishment. A denial of the right to healthcare equivalent to that available in the community is not part of the sentence. If you want people to come out the other side less likely to committ crime, torturing them and giving them even less faith in the system is NOT going to help.

Completely agree.

mp0511ad.jpg

The article is just a bullshit tabloid spin. i would imagine the compensation was paid because proper treatment was not available to the inmates when they were going cold turkey.

Tap,tap. Hear,hear. Turns out Shitepipe's not a Tory bastard after all.

I bet he's a total gay now though.

its a Politically Correct world gone absolutely crackers...

I disagree.
In my opinion condemning something as 'political correctness gone mad' or some such variant doesn't hold up.

Not getting at you specifically but
What I really don't like:

People insulting or denigrating various groups of people by making sweeping statements / generalisations and when someone objects they cry 'you're being PC!' as if this justifies them saying whatever the fuck they want.

In this case it appears that the prisoners were denied proper treatment.
If so they are entitled to be compensated financially.

Yeah i suppose you're right but like abuse victim compensations its only being paid out to pacify or put a gag order on the recipient and/or save face for the people paying out.

This is definitely a perspective. I mean, it's basically an admission of guilt in terms of neglecting duties or whatever, but whether it does any immediate good is questionable. I think though, given that the government's chief concerns tend to be financial, it will ensure that they enforce some minimum standards to prevent further legal action against them in this particular matter. Once a legal precedent has been set, then that path is always open for people to act against them in the future. Unless they come up with some twisted little law that they surreptitiously pass that could prevent this. goblins.

There is some basic sense at work here- the government denied some vulnerable people (convicted criminals, yes. Still humans, citizens, yes) who had no options, medical care. cold turkey can be difficult if you are surrounded by family, friends or other addicts. Doing it in the sterile, hostile and isolated environment that is prison could only be torturous. That being said, I know people who have done this and come out the other side better*. I know many addicts who say they need to go to prison to get clean or 'take a break'. This is testament to the shameful lack of treatment and support facilities in the community.

*(There are methadone detox programmes available in a couple of Irish prisons, but many people don't want to touch methadone and there is no alternative and so they have to go cold turkey (that is if they are choosing not to avail of the drugs that are widely available in prison). There are very few opportunities to link in with psychiatrists or counsellors in prison, and the most an inmate can expect is to be able to go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting once a week. As you might imagine, many prisoners do not want to go to such meetings and reveal information of a personal nature while in such an environment).

This is definitely a perspective. I mean, it's basically an admission of guilt in terms of neglecting duties or whatever, but whether it does any immediate good is questionable. I think though, given that the government's chief concerns tend to be financial, it will ensure that they enforce some minimum standards to prevent further legal action against them in this particular matter. Once a legal precedent has been set, then that path is always open for people to act against them in the future. Unless they come up with some twisted little law that they surreptitiously pass that could prevent this. goblins.

There is some basic sense at work here- the government denied some vulnerable people (convicted criminals, yes. Still humans, citizens, yes) who had no options, medical care. cold turkey can be difficult if you are surrounded by family, friends or other addicts. Doing it in the sterile, hostile and isolated environment that is prison could only be torturous. That being said, I know people who have done this and come out the other side better*. I know many addicts who say they need to go to prison to get clean or 'take a break'. This is testament to the shameful lack of treatment and support facilities in the community.

*(There are methadone detox programmes available in a couple of Irish prisons, but many people don't want to touch methadone and there is no alternative and so they have to go cold turkey (that is if they are choosing not to avail of the drugs that are widely available in prison). There are very few opportunities to link in with psychiatrists or counsellors in prison, and the most an inmate can expect is to be able to go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting once a week. As you might imagine, many prisoners do not want to go to such meetings and reveal information of a personal nature while in such an environment).

Here Aoife,Jane is after logging in on your account.

Actually son, I'm 1 year and about 3 weeks older than you.
Andy is asleep on the couch so I escaped from doing my homework in my bedroom to play on the internets.

Rocking,I did all my shit in College so Im grand.
Yell into Fogos ear that there is a fire,I did it to my sister once and she woke and couldnt breathe and started crying.Amazing.For me,not her obviously.

I will stop wrecking your thread now.

There is some basic sense at work here- the government denied some vulnerable people (convicted criminals, yes. Still humans, citizens, yes) who had no options, medical care.

This is where it gets blurry for me though so tell me if i'm way off.

Does drug assisted therapy to treat heroin addiction fall into the definition of bare basic medical care in the same way as getting antibiotics for an infection does?

Unjust as it plainly is i presumed that as prisoners are stripped of so many rights when they go inside, a methodone programme was something that just wasnt available to them.

I'm all in favour of providing addicts in prison with methodone just as long as smokers don't start sueing when they get out cos they weren't allowed enough fags or patches when they were inside.

I'm only messin with that last one.

Ok, continue wrecking the thread brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back