Torino (1 Viewer)

describe it to me (imagine i don't know anything about the wedding present - 'cos i don't :eek: )

well, it's all electric guitars and strings playing sometimes big dramatic songs (but not like "A Design For Life" bleurgh, more tasteful than that), and sometimes straight-up fast Teenage Fanclubby stuff (but better) and the songs are just full of character. It's all very positive and emotional and, well, pure David Gedge, really. Sorry Con Air.

Story about the Wedding Present: they released "George Best" at some record store and who turned up but George Best himself. So the boys were delighted with this and had their photos taken with him and stuff, and he got on well with them and was a nice guy. George goes on his way and they're like "what a sound man". Two weeks later they get a bill from him. ha ha! class.

Another Wedding Present story: Gedge goes off and does the accounts after every gig. Some friends of mine supported the Weddos down in Galway, and when he's off doing the accounts the lads drink all his beer.

Doesn't have much luck with the Irish actually, come to think of it...

i've done a bit more investigation and i'm reading about comparisons to black box recorder, tindersticks, devine comedy and edwyn collins - all of whom i'd say are very vocally driven - is it?

Jesus Conor! Just buy one of their 3 albums and if you don't like it bring it back!

Vocally driven yea, very much so. Gedge's lyrics are so good you hardly need music. That's been true of his whole career... although that silver covered weddos album was crap, saturnallia that's the one.

no! none of them!

Tindersticks? waddafuck?

The guy in the Tindersticks sings club style like Vic Reeves. ner-hee ner-hee noo! Although they do a good job on the Lee Hazlewood tribute (compilations: is there anything they CAN'T do?).

They're poppy punky guitary energetic emotional songs. Song-driven rather than vocal-driven. Mogwai they ain't, put it that way.

ah fuck I'll just lend it to you instead of explaining it

Conor...
P l e a s e, just buy a cinerama ablum...
If you dont like it, I'll BUY it offa ya

(just dont buy, torino or the peel sesh's, cuz I still have dem)

Dave Gadge is like a singing, likeable Mark E Smith; the wedding present had very choppy guitars, but turned a bit softer on watusi (their last album) and used more varied arrangements/sounds. I haven't heard much of cinerama, but they seem to have carried on along those lines. One thing about Gedge though, is that you're pretty much guaranteed top drawer songs; it just depends on whether you like how they're done.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
watusi (their last album)

They had a mini album after Watusi and then Saturnalia. If only Watusi was the last album they'd have gone out on top form. Instead, Saturnalia was pretty dire.

I was driving yesterday and heard a song from VaVaVoom on xfm and got all excited about the Cinerame tour again... deadly.

Dublin gig is the same day as the Dillinger Escape Plan who I wouldn't mind seeing but fuck it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back