Thumped's "non-nationals" thread (1 Viewer)

Back in charlie's day you could probably have bought a passport from fianna fail for 1500 quid.

Flashback, I do not look forward to the prospect of returning to the US, if that's what Mr Jane and me decide to do. I'm really, really hoping that things will get less Police Statey after the next election. Wishful thinking?

Well... I mean, once these things are put into place, once the wheels have turned over a few times, it becomes very hard to un do what's been done.

You have to provide reasons why you want to undo or stop this, and by that time there will be all sorts of money floating about, and lots of people and companies with a very vested interest to let the wheels keep on rolling.

I did some nixers that wont pay me until I get my green card, and they owe me 7 grand.
(For about 3 days work.)
I'll cope. I would have rather paid a tenner though.

Hayworth, just have a sham marriage of convenience to an Irishman like a certain other Thumpeder did. (can't really say anymore as she might be lurking...sshhhh)

Well... I mean, once these things are put into place, once the wheels have turned over a few times, it becomes very hard to un do what's been done.

You have to provide reasons why you want to undo or stop this, and by that time there will be all sorts of money floating about, and lots of people and companies with a very vested interest to let the wheels keep on rolling.

I did some nixers that wont pay me until I get my green card, and they owe me 7 grand.
(For about 3 days work.)
I'll cope. I would have rather paid a tenner though.

Human rights? I dunno. Maybe?

Yeah. I know, I know, I just...Gah. It makes me very mad and upset. What a stupid thing that doesn't make us safer, and costs a hell of a lot of money, all for the sake of dehumanising an immigrant as a potential criminal. Hooray for democracy.

Hayworth, just have a sham marriage of convenience to an Irishman like a certain other Thumpeder did. (can't really say anymore as she might be lurking...sshhhh)

I'm fucked when it comes to the interview so I am.
So, what face cream does she use?
...ehh

Ok, well, what Shampoo does she use?
....eeeemmmmm

Ok, lets just start of simple then. What's her phone number?
Oh. I know this one. I have it programmed.

Get out.

So there's me, Jane, Hayworth, theweeyin. Anyone else? Anyone want to get together and complain how you can't get Pepto Bismol or a Pukka Pie or decent kebab over here? Come, expats! Join me!

I know where you can get all that stuff.

Back home in your own bleedin' country!

Seriously, they come over here, taking our jobs, drinking our beer.........

ATTITUDES TO IMMIGRANTS
  • Madam, - As director of an NGO working with immigrants I would like to express my dismay at recent comments by two Fianna Fáil politicians. Senator Donie Cassidy suggested that foreign drivers in Ireland be limited to a maximum speed of 80 km/h. This is not only completely impractical, but betrays an attitude that depicts immigrants as somehow less capable of controlling a motor vehicle than are Irish road-users. Senator Cassidy proceeded to advance the idea that Ireland should switch to driving on the right-hand side of the road.
    In this case, would the senator then advocate curtailing Irish drivers' speeds while allowing immigrants to travel at the full speed limit?
    I was further exercised by comments from the Louth County Council chairman, Cllr Jimmy Mulroy, who is advocating a reduced minimum wage for low-skilled foreign workers, arguing that the cost of living in their home countries is not as high as in Ireland. Not only would this contravene any number of employment and equality laws, but his sentiments appear to reflect a perception of migrants as mere "economic units", as opposed to human beings.
    In the context of the Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill which is currently before the Dáil, the above comments are unfortunate and indicate a complete lack of understanding of immigrant issues among some people in positions of power in this country. - Yours, etc,
    GERTRUDE COTTER, Director, Nasc, The Irish Immigrant Support Centre, Mary Street, Cork.

Mulroy speaks sense

It's funny because that Mulroy fella is even more of a knob. He's pissed off the immigrants, but he's also pissed off the Irish people who need jobs, too, but he's also totally outed an important thing.

It's fucked up the way that low pay gets blamed on immigrants, like foreigns are taking Irish people's jobs. No, if someone is paid less because they are foreign, that's because the employer thinks they deserve less, partly ebcause they don't fucking value their employees in the first place. It's the employers, not the fricking foreigns who are the problem.

And then there are people like this guy http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0205/breaking10.htm

Who thinks a minimum wage is unconstitutional. Because he doesn't want to pay people a fair wage to clean his hotel. Maybe he should cut his own salary? That might save on wage costs.

Now, back to my flags:

That won't happen. Jack Bauer always stops that sort of thing.

Its all coming true now though, there'll be a black president next, just like it says in the Jack Prophesies.

Oh Jack. I'm so sorry about my wishy washy stance on torture and blowing shit up. I didnt realise what's at stake.

I'm in for another two years. I ran out of the office once they handed me back my passport on the off chance the 'trainee' who handle my case realized some mistake.

YAY! You must be so ridiculously relieved.

I felt the same way after I got my 5-year stamp. I was like, "I'd better go before they change their minds or something." It's so discomfiting being in there. They're a hell of a lot better than they used to be, but I think it's that discomfort of powerlessness in the face of bureaucracy that everyone experiences, but multiplied by a thousand because they could totally turn around and just say, "Nope."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back