Thumped.com on the News, WTF?! (3 Viewers)

So are people here still downloading? Has the Eircom thing come into action yet?

A quick wiki search on the labels/artists under EMI, Warner, Universal and Sony shows the only albums i'd be interested in downloading is Built to Spill and some of the Nonesuch label.

Not going to change my habits.

In fairness, this is like a Lion chasing a whole herd of wildebeast. Only the weakest and slowest are going to get caught. !ninjaaaa

Wouldn't that precedent have to be from pre 1922? At best anything after that would only apply as a guide to how a law from back then may be interpreted now.

That's correct, the Irish courts are bound by decisions made in the House Of Lords and the Irish Court Of Appeals made pre 1922. But because we're in a similar legal system if a decision has been made in a similar case in the UK, other commonwealth states, US or Canadian federal court or most state and provincial courts in the US and Canada those cases can be argued in Irish courts insofar as they cite examples of how certain issues have been previously interpreted but Irish courts need only take those under advisement.

A quick wiki search on the labels/artists under EMI, Warner, Universal and Sony shows the only albums i'd be interested in downloading is Built to Spill and some of the Nonesuch label.

Not going to change my habits.

In fairness, this is like a Lion chasing a whole herd of wildebeast. Only the weakest and slowest are going to get caught. !ninjaaaa
so what would change your habits? when the industry implodes and people cant afford to make music anymore?

If I get caught illegally downloading albums but keep all the receipts for the albums I downloaded and liked so I bought them will I be prosecuted.....uh, less?

also, a younger friend of mine(he was 18 at the time) got sent to court last year and fined two grand for downloading a relatively small amount of music. so it does happen.

so what would change your habits? when the industry implodes and people cant afford to make music anymore?

I still buy music, and a lot of it too.

Just couldn't give a shit about the crap the Big 4 peddle.:p

My habits will change when there's somewhere to buy the small artists I like rather than resort to mail order.

Truth be known, I'm looking into getting stock for a stall.

I still buy music, and a lot of it too.

Just couldn't give a shit about the crap the Big 4 peddle.:p

My habits will change when there's somewhere to buy the small artists I like rather than resort to mail order.

Truth be known, I'm looking into getting stock for a stall.
send me a list of stuff you are looking for dude.

I don't think so. I'm not so sure how the filesharing networks work, but I expect this is what eircom is gonna do from now on:

1. crawl the filesharing networks
2. identify what everyone is offering
3. if something is copyrighted then see if that person is on eircom's network
4. if they are then cut them off

It can all be automated and doesn't require the involvement of the courts at all. If they can identify who's hosting what then I expect this spells the beginning of the end of filesharing

Users on public sites will be targetted first, and the only copyrights the label's contracters are going to be interested in are the ones owned by the Big 4.

So even if the likes of Piratebay, Demonoid and then even Waffles and What are effectively written off for the Irish user (there's always proxies) the likes of indietorrents and more private "scene" networks will most likely be untargetted as they're not costing the big boys any money. If OiNK had simply banned pre-release material from RIAA artists it would still be in operation today (there's now two bigger sites have replaced it within a year).

Targetting the users will not stop filesharing. They're going to have to target the hosting to have any chance of damaging it in any real terms. There's pretty much no large scale (central) hosting of filesharing sites in the country.

I thought the whole illegal thing was to do with sharing the files as opposed to downloading them no?

So what about sites like Mediafire and Rapidshare I presume Eircom will be scouring the likes of them too?

Targetting the users will not stop filesharing. They're going to have to target the hosting to have any chance of damaging it in any real terms. There's pretty much no large scale (central) hosting of filesharing sites in the country.
Aren't the users the hosts of the actual files? Isn't that what peer-to-peer means? If they are, and the ISPs want to do it and co-operate with each other, then they probably CAN stop filesharing

Pete, just wondering, does thumped get noticably more hits after RTE uses this footage? While no publicity is bad publicity, it is kinda bad if joe public gets the impression that thumped is a den of inequity and vice. Which, of course, couldn't be further from the truth. Couldn't you write them a strongly worded letter? Have a go at them in the press? They're not great options, are they?

I thought the whole illegal thing was to do with sharing the files as opposed to downloading them no?

So what about sites like Mediafire and Rapidshare I presume Eircom will be scouring the likes of them too?

They're just going for p2p aren't they? Please god that's just it. You'd need to have your head examined to use napster etc anyway, I think. Virus city.

No?

th_dempseysden.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back