Thumped album club (1 Viewer)

Agreed. If youz can't be bothered to listen to him when he was alive then ye don't deserve him when he's dead.

I say we go with Jethro Tull for this week

ha, you made it about the same amount of time as me

i gave up around 33 mins in

i'm going to give it the ol' 3 listens though

The leap from 1970's Benefit to the following year's Aqualung is one of the most astonishing progressions in rock history. In the space of one album, Tull went from relatively unassuming electrified folk-rock to larger-than-life conceptual rock full of sophisticated compositions and complex, intellectual, lyrical constructs. While the leap to full-blown prog rock wouldn't be taken until a year later on Thick as a Brick, the degree to which Tull upped the ante here is remarkable.

The lyrical concept -- the hypocrisy of Christianity in England -- is stronger than on most other '70s conceptual efforts, but it's ultimately the music that makes it worthy of praise. Tull's winning way with a riff was never so arresting as on the chugging "Locomotive Breath," or on the character studies "Cross Eyed Mary" and "Aqualung," which portray believably seedy participants in Ian Anderson's story. The fable imagery of "Mother Goose" and the vitriolic anti-authoritarian sentiments of "Wind Up" both serve notice of Anderson's willful iconoclasm and his disillusionment with the spiritual traditions to which he was born. Varied but cohesive, Aqualung is widely regarded as Tull's finest hour.

Aqualung - Jethro Tull | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

I might give Thick as a Brick a go, it sounds more promising. As does Under Wraps which got a one star review from all music:
AllMusic Review by Patrick Little [-]
Ian Anderson's Walk into Light (1983) was an uncharacteristic venture into the world of drum machines and synthesizers, and was partly a collaboration with keyboardist Peter-John Vettese. The next year the two cut the similar-sounding Under Wraps using the Jethro Tull banner. Most of the work, including drum programming, was done by Anderson in his home studio before guitar and (scant) bass guitar were added. The group members were excited about their latest sounds, which brought a cold edginess to the usual intricate music (the acoustic "Under Wraps No. 2" being one exception). Lyrically,Anderson was letting go of his Olde English façade; here he showed his fascination with Cold War-era espionage. While the British audiences didn't mind the changes, U.S. buyers pretty much hated the album. Compared to the U.S. number 19 position of 1982's The Broadsword and the Beast, Under Wraps never got past number 76. (Crest of a Knave, three years later, shot up to number 33.) The original release had 11 tracks, with "Astronomy," "Tundra," "Automotive Engineering," and "General Crossing" appearing as B-sides and bonus tracks around the world. Now the standard release carries all 15 tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back