Things we know in our hearts but won't admit (2 Viewers)

Mormon Nailer said:
Do you think a boy band would ever perpitrate an outrage on their audience like Sonic Youth did at ATP a couple of years ago?

No fucking way.

The only way Sonic Youth outrages an audience is by being shit beyond belief, ala Dalymount in 94ish.

Shheeeite.

Be the Hokey said:
The only way Sonic Youth outrages an audience is by being shit beyond belief, ala Dalymount in 94ish.

Shheeeite.
Oh man ... that was a great gig .... probably the only outdoor gig i have enjoyed ever ...

Mormon Nailer said:
Answer me this if you are not profound or deep or menaingful what is left that is worthwhile?

What the shit? Do you only ever listen to music that's profound or deep or meaningful? I think any music which is fun / happy / catchy / smart / interesting / sexy / angry / ridiculous / heartfelt, etc. is equally as "worthwhile"

Zeelander said:
What the shit? Do you only ever listen to music that's profound or deep or meaningful? I think any music which is fun / happy / catchy / smart / interesting / sexy / angry / ridiculous / heartfelt, etc. is equally as "worthwhile"

Fair point. And I do look for all of these things as well, but how can a band manage to be genuinely catch, happy, smart etc without ever even meandering towards being meaningful.

If then can manage that (I dont think its possible) then all the interest, sex an anger etc can't be real - they are just a pose.

They are a musical covention rather than an expression of anything. Thats the difference between real white hot indignation and just wanting to sound like Fugazi, between being happy and wanting to write a Flying Nun pop song. That fine but in my book a song like Keleidoscop World means nothing without Pink Frost beside it and Could You Be The One means nothing without Hardly Getting Over It.

To use a clumsy analogy what you are saying is someone who can only drive at 30mph down a straight road is a good driver because at the moment you only need to go at 30mph down a straight road and if the time comes to park than that's ok you can change the driver anyway.

Mormon Nailer said:
Fair point. And I do look for all of these things as well, but how can a band manage to be genuinely catch, happy, smart etc without ever even meandering towards being meaningful.

If then can manage that (I dont think its possible) then all the interest, sex an anger etc can't be real - they are just a pose.

They are a musical covention rather than an expression of anything. Thats the difference between real white hot indignation and just wanting to sound like Fugazi, between being happy and wanting to write a Flying Nun pop song. That fine but in my book a song like Keleidoscop World means nothing without Pink Frost beside it and Could You Be The One means nothing without Hardly Getting Over It.

To use a clumsy analogy what you are saying is someone who can only drive at 30mph down a straight road is a good driver because at the moment you only need to go at 30mph down a straight road and if the time comes to park than that's ok you can change the driver anyway.

you can deliberately be meaningless or surreal as a comment on being too stuck up your own hole, and therefore become meaningful..

dali
dadists
monty python
joyce
pavement....

1. Never actually listened to Pavement, can't comment on that one.

2. I will carry the Bill Hicks cross, be'jaysus people, he was alright that man, I mean, anyone who said, ''Bullshit, we're a virus with shoes, ok? That's all we are'', give the man a biscuit and a cup of milk where due.

3. I've forgotten what the third thing was now, sorry!

Mormon Nailer said:

IT'S CALLED ENTERTAINMENT YA STEAMIN' BOZO!!!! GO DOWN TO TOWER WHERE YOU CAN PICK UP THE FULL DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH/VAN HALEN CATALOGUE... SIT BACK AND YOU'LL SOON BE STANDING!! DON'T BUY ANY HAGAR...IT DOSEN'T WORK WITH HAGAR...
ALLAHQUANDO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back