Things that rocked my world this week... (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

Well sir...
Jason Lowenstiens debut ablum is doing it for me in spades... diddent think much of it at first, but the guy knows how to rock... and all on his own too!

Saw Vanilla Sky last night, I rented it cos there was fuck all else there... I thought it was just going to be the two cruses dribbling all over each other... but... it's fucking amazing, stands to reason since Cameron Crowe is the guy resposable for the remake. I've usually seen movies before there remade, or at least make a point of seeing it first, but this time I'm hoping the original will be as good cos the remake rocks... Oh, and the sound track is pritty deadly also...

Ive got the royal tenanbaums to watch tonight, I hope its good, cos roswell was deadly.

The Big Star live in the studio ablum I got this week is amazing, anyone who is into the ways of the Big Star should be listening to this...

Been listening to Hypocricy is the greatest luxery by the diposable heros of HipHopricy a lot this week... Firantis best by far, his last ablum was shite...

Nearly finished part three of DK3 (the dark knight strikes again)... Frank Miller is god...

Hoping the new Karatie ablum that I picked up today is any good(last EP was dodgy)

Its my last day of work tomorow, then I'm offa to Barcalona... now thats what really rocks my world (hay sparce, any news on them second hand record stores in barsalona then)

Sorry fro the looooong post, I'm bored

Royal Tanenbaums/Rushmore both get happy high fives from me. I would also put Election in that bracket as a recent left field classic. My favourite film is Box of Moonlight with John Turrturro by the way. By that I mean I'd recommend you get it out on video.

A more pervy film from the same neck of the woods is Happiness. It's pretty freaky in parts so you shouldn't bring it over to your Mum's house at the weekend. When I went to see it in the Screen the HA had fallen off the sign so it just read 'Piness' (penis, geddit?).

i got the debut album by interpol yesterday... still trying to listen to it properly, but it sounds good on initial skim-through listen. i had heard that they were a bit like gang of four, but they're not really...

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Royal Tanenbaums/Rushmore both get happy high fives from me. I would also put Election in that bracket as a recent left field classic. My favourite film is Box of Moonlight with John Turrturro by the way. By that I mean I'd recommend you get it out on video.

A more pervy film from the same neck of the woods is Happiness. It's pretty freaky in parts so you shouldn't bring it over to your Mum's house at the weekend. When I went to see it in the Screen the HA had fallen off the sign so it just read 'Piness' (penis, geddit?).

Storytelling waws msuch a big dissapointment after Happiness dontcha think...

Box of Moonlight is also one of my favorite films, so much so, we were thinking of calling our ablum such... In fact ALL of Tom DeCillo's films are deadly...

Liked Tenanbaums, not as much as rushmore...

Am I the only person who liked Vanilla Sky? everyone |I know seems to have hated it...

(shurly the HAP fell off)

Good to hear someone else likes Tom DiCillo's stuff. Actually he kept a diary of the making of Box of Moonlight; I have it and could loan it to you if you're interested.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Good to hear someone else likes Tom DiCillo's stuff. Actually he kept a diary of the making of Box of Moonlight; I have it and could loan it to you if you're interested.
I have it also...

arnt we the fans

Do you recon he's doing Catherine Keener or wha?

Stand up if you hate Tom DeCillo

I saw "box of Moonlight" some years ago in the cinema and found it entirely fuckin objectionable. To learn that something as conservative as that was described as "indie cinema" is to learn everything you need to know about the state of U.S. cinema.

I get nauseous when I imagine all the young, creative people out there who might get a chance to do something really interesting in film if it weren't for the fact that the money is going elsewhere, to projects that are dull and unchallenging, but that make for more secure investments. I'd say that from a producer's point of view DeCillo's films are really solid investments, and that's part of what makes them stink.

For most people "interesting" cinema now means something deeply uninteresting. To be judged worthwhile (and I'm not talking about commercially successful), a film must now offer certain qualities. These include being "lyrical, poignant, character-driven" etc. As a result the films that receive the widest critical praise nowadays occupy a very narrow range of aesthetic possibilities. Okay, this can mean films that are genuinely impressive (say, "Ratcatcher") or it can mean films that are utterly bogus (say, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Wire") or it can mean films that are just...bland ("Box of Moonlight").

The problem with film in general is that even though as a medium it's over 100 years old, it went from infancy to middle-age without ever passing through adolescence. There have been a few notable exceptions, a few angry young turks, but they grow fewer and fewer. At this stage film is a doddery old fucker in a wicker chair wittering on nostalgically. You can smell the piss off most cinema a mile away once you get a nose for it.

By the way, the "original" that "Vanilla Sky" was based on is a Spanish film called (in translation) "Open Your Eyes". I've seen it twice. The only reason I saw it more than once was because it took about an hour into the second viewing for me to realise I'd seen it before. That's how memorable it is.

Originally posted by Pantone247

Velvet Underground, The Velevet Underground is rocking my head

that album rules

pinback's pinback & blue screen life albums are giving me joy in an otherwise fucked up day

i saw "Das Experiment" this week...that rocked, rocked me good.
rushmore has a cool soundtrack, which i have never been able to find in a record shop...

rocking the stereo this week has been :
trust us - motorpsycho
too many dj's - soulwax
neon golden - notwist
the amazing undersea adventures of aquakitty & friends - heavy vegetable

what hasn't rocked my world...seeing michael moore and Hamza Yusuf Hanson talking the most sense out of all media people about american foreign policy etc. at the moment on question time last night and being ignored by senators, sedretarys for defence because they were talking sense and telling the truth...this did not rock my world.

My world has mostly been rocked this week by the fact that i may be getting thrown out of university due to some academic idiocy on my part, thankfully there's a decent chance all will be well, unfortunately i won't find out if all will be well until the middle of november, so i've gotta continue on as normal hoping the people upstairs decide not to fuck me out on my ear.

don't know if i mentioned this already.

golden's new cd 'apollo stars' is close to one of the best things in the world, ever. i'm not sure how you can get it here yet but me finding out ... southern ain't doing it, it came out on trans am's label 'national records' and thrill jockey are carrying it in the states.

here's a link to their old website http://www.southern.com/southern/band/GOLDD/

and i think this will be the label site soon http://www.nationalrecordingstudio.com/

i know this might be a lot of useless information but it's really really really great...

i make myself laugh when i get like this, funny that.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ian

Storytelling waws msuch a big dissapointment after Happiness dontcha think...

"Storytelling" was muck. I think I lasted around 45 minutes of it.

"Vanilla Sky" was predictable in an unpredictable way...trying to piece together films while you're watching them is not entertaining anymore, just annoying..I like to piece those types of films together in the final 3 minutes.

Haven't seen "The Royal Tenanbaums" yet, but its on the list. What a cast though...anyone ever see "Bottle Rocket" with Luke & Owen Wilson (I think it was written by Owen Wilson?)...are they brothers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back