Things I should have known before now... (3 Viewers)

I think that describes a very small city. Like Irish ones

Depends where you are. Here in Dundalk, the council offices are double that distance from home, and we live a 10-minute walk from the town centre!

Another example: if I were to do a night class at DKIT, that’s a 45-minute walk home or a €7 taxi because the local buses stop running at 6 (and the bus from Drogheda that runs later is inexplicably set-down only).

There’s a lot of places in this country where facilities should be accessible but practically aren’t.

I think that describes a very small city. Like Irish ones

What might 'define' it better is what it is in reaction to - lile The sorta american style car-locked shopping districts that tend to orbit cities now, that are a pain to go to without a car and also fast becoming the only option. Also a reaction to the idea of having endless suburbia with little to no amenities (like my place for example) - the reaction being that if you are planning to make a place residential, don't do it without full services/transport/parks/amenities - a lot of towns in ireland organically are that already for sure.

when we were looking to buy the house we eventually bought in 2012, i had a golden rule that i had to be able to walk to a shop in less than about five or ten minutes to buy milk or eggs or whatever. a couple of people said i was limiting myself that way; where i would look at it the other way around. we did look at a nice place we'd have been able to afford, but one of the two main reasons we discounted it was that it was nearly a mile to the nearest shop.

In adamstown,about 6 months ago,a Tesco and Aldi opened. There must be about 15-2 shop units right there. Not one occupied and no sign of it either. 0
But don't worry. The fleet of Amazon vans will supply anything you need.

when we were looking to buy the house we eventually bought in 2012, i had a golden rule that i had to be able to walk to a shop in less than about five or ten minutes to buy milk or eggs or whatever. a couple of people said i was limiting myself that way; where i would look at it the other way around. we did look at a nice place we'd have been able to afford, but one of the two main reasons we discounted it was that it was nearly a mile to the nearest shop.
I was in two minds about living across the road from a row of shops but it was a great decision. I thought the business and the noise would be disruptive but our crèche, pharmacy, local centra, and hairdressers are all as close to me as my garden shed is. Since moving here I’ve had about three years where I couldn’t drive so it made me really feel how vital local shops are and how hard it is to get to the sort of places @ann post talks about.

Depends where you are. Here in Dundalk, the council offices are double that distance from home, and we live a 10-minute walk from the town centre!

Another example: if I were to do a night class at DKIT, that’s a 45-minute walk home or a €7 taxi because the local buses stop running at 6 (and the bus from Drogheda that runs later is inexplicably set-down only).

There’s a lot of places in this country where facilities should be accessible but practically aren’t.

Oh absolutely

Oh absolutely

I'm sure I've been ranting about this for twenty odd years now.

Somewhere like say Rathmines might qualify as a decent 15minute example. Or actually, The Liberties. Big chunks of suburban Dublin would not. Athlone, for example, is a mess.

Never actually understood where the expression came from.

That doc is on PBS right now. Decent stuff.
Watching this over the weekend

Similar vein

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back