Them Risks. (1 Viewer)

Corey

So all this talk of falling asleep in work ,and not doing as much as you wanted at 30 has ressurected my burning desire to quit all jobs i hate and devote my time to doing somthing completely useless like painting. They sell well, but i never get to do any cos there's no time; and wot with new family being factored in, now really does'nt seem like a good time to go doing anything stoopid.

Office job is having an 'extremely detremental effect on my optimism', and these gallery heads keep ringin lookin for work, an i got none, an i fuckin love paintin.

So.

Risk taking.

who's done it?

worth it?

Anyone?

if they sell well enough to support your family go for it.

use and develop the skill that you have.

Whatever office job you have has only a limited lifetime before you get outsourced or something anyway.

In the same position a couple of times with various projects.(right now in fact.) Being self imployed is quite the leap. If galleries are actively looking for your work and you can live off it then go for it. The office job will always be there. Do your own fesablility study on it, make sure that you close the door lighly on your old job in the event that you may need to get it back/get a reference. Most sucessfull people you talk to in artistic fields tell you to go for it, otherwise you spend the rest of the time going "what if" remember the turtle that never stuck its neck out never got anyplace.

Can you go part time? I jacked in a reasonable job (that I hated) to record rock 'n roll full time. It's totally worth it when its going well, less so when bills roll in. In hindsight, I'd probably work 2/3 days in the real world until things really get going for you. I may well do a bit of this meself soon.

You already know what I think. You can always go crawling back, given the circumstances. Or, even more diplomatically, propose a part-time solution that allows you to keep one foot in the office a few days a week...

my great uncle was an artist, he did ok i guess. more famous and valuable now that's he brown bread.

oh and one time we stayed in this guy's house by the giants causeway, his da's an artist and it was lovely.

it can be done!

Latex lizzie said:
Oh you! *shakes head in motherly fashion whilst wagging finger*

hey have you any pictures up on the web we could see btw?

Go for it, there is no point looking back in ten years and regretting yr life. If you think you can survive do it and if it doesn't work out hey at least you tried which is more than most people do.
good luck:)

cpr said:
Go for it, there is no point looking back in ten years and regretting yr life. If you think you can survive do it and if it doesn't work out hey at least you tried which is more than most people do.
good luck:)

read my earlier post! I was talking to snakey.

hehe.

Just nipped out to grab some lunch and ponder and that 'Life, oh life' song by yer wan was playing in spar. I laughed heartily all the way to the sandwich counter.All of my previous concerns are apparantly unfounded, as it turns out that life is actually like a piece of toast, and that ghosts are rarely seen.

That my problems sorted so.

For fucks sake.

wheh wheh wheh..... I heard that song in Tesco just now. Made all my first world problems seem like buttons. Oh Life. FUckin bint.

Despite advice and warnings, I dropped out of a degree in Trinity coz my brain said 'fuck this shit, Trinners is crappola and so is the degree you're doing'. THen I went on the dole for a year. All seemed kind of hopeless and I was gonna turn into a full time dole busting Winding Stair waitress when I suddenly got my calling (no joke) and ended up doing a course I absolutely loved and getting jobs that I really really enjoy.

THere is hope.

hey have you any pictures up on the web we could see btw?[/QUOTE]

Not without giving myself away. I just big-headed-as-fuck-like stuck one up on the eye candy thread, feel free to take me down a notch or two.

Ordinarily I'd try to be encouraging, but when you've got a family (you have a kid don't you?) then these risks are pretty serious. If you have a few savings, you could give it a go, or maybe move to a job that accommodates it more either in terms of free time, or not sapping every ounce of energy you have. A guy who works for me is an artist and works week on week off (I'm a civil servant) to work opf his paintings.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Ordinarily I'd try to be encouraging, but when you've got a family (you have a kid don't you?) then these risks are pretty serious. If you have a few savings, you could give it a go, or maybe move to a job that accommodates it more either in terms of free time, or not sapping every ounce of energy you have. A guy who works for me is an artist and works week on week off (I'm a civil servant) to work opf his paintings.

gupanaim250.jpg

You said it. I had some amount of flexibilty with bar-work but i quit prior to Harley's arrival on account of the late hours and the opperunity to drink for nothin.They're about as flexible in here as the opus dei. So, eh.... tell me about the civil service....

very flexible. If you can get a job. Money is crap but steady depending on how far you get it can be decent enough. YOu can take up to five years out in my job and they have to give you your job back. Pretty sweet.Also have the daily flexi clock so you can come in whenever you like.

HitsLikeAGirl said:
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/gupanaim250.jpg

You said it. I had some amount of flexibilty with bar-work but i quit prior to Harley's arrival on account of the late hours and the opperunity to drink for nothin.They're about as flexible in here as the opus dei. So, eh.... tell me about the civil service....

You apply to jobs that are advertised in the press and on publicjobs.ie - the rest is a lottery. Doesn't suit everyone, but I've enjoyed my time in it (8 years).

Latex lizzie said:
Money is crap

Starting pay in entry grades isn't great, but once you get through the system it isn't so bad. I'd say I earn more than any of my friends and I'd be surprised if there were many people on thumped doing better. Not saying that to sound boastful, just want the lad to know he won't be placing his family in penury if he opts for the public service.

Civil Service is a good way to go for this. The banks are too. There's a lady I work with who does a lot of painting and has used her contacts in the bank to sell a lot of her paintings. She gets a lot of exposure for an undergraduate art student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back