Them Risks
need calcium
HitsLikeAGirl said:
Them Risks
HitsLikeAGirl said:
Them Risks
need calcium

and thats a natural law.
I'm toying with going for it, prolly to lazy to ever make it happen. If galleries are contacting you then you mustn't just be day dreaming that you can do it (like me), surely it must be worth a go!

snakybus said:
Hey Hits Like A Girl, this thread inspired me to write a new story, which I just finished

I thank you
howiwrotecover.jpg

Big,fat, rolling green deal. Anyone can do that.I am currently working on my fifth novel in two hours.

my mum's friend works at the art college here, she applied late after working in the civil service for a while. she met my friend who is in the same position to give her some advice the other week.
could ask if you like..

Zeelander said:
Hey arty types, I'm putting together a portfolio this year, for applying for art courses. Anyone have any advice or tips?

Depends on what courses yer into. Piles of drawing, life drawing if you can,large ones in as many different styles as you can think of; buy a fuckin rake of hardback pads scrapbooks an fill with as much shite as you can get your curious little hands on; studies of textures, shapes, forms, photography, ads, the odd comment/ visual interpretation of what you see,ideas you've had and want to develop ;Textiles you find interesting;stickers, bits of shoes; sketches, drawings and paintings with as many different kinds of media as you can find, studies of light and shade and so on and so forth. Then mount and display it all pretty like.

Basically just show how interested you are in all things visual(or otherwise), innit and youll be grand.

HitsLikeAGirl said:
Depends on what courses yer into. Piles of drawing, life drawing if you can,large ones in as many different styles as you can think of; buy a fuckin rake of hardback pads scrapbooks an fill with as much shite as you can get your curious little hands on; studies of textures, shapes, forms, photography, ads, the odd comment/ visual interpretation of what you see,ideas you've had and want to develop ;Textiles you find interesting;stickers, bits of shoes; sketches, drawings and paintings with as many different kinds of media as you can find, studies of light and shade and so on and so forth. Then mount and display it all pretty like.

Basically just show how interested you are in all things visual(or otherwise), innit and youll be grand.

Have to spread rep round blah blah blah.... Thanks a million. So it's not all just about impressive finished works- it's collecting all my scribbles and ideas and things that give me ideas too? Oh man, the hoarder in me is pleased that all that junk has a purpose at last. I am so stoked about actually devoting my time to something I've always wanted to do. Hurrah!

Zeelander said:
- it's collecting all my scribbles and ideas and things that give me ideas too?
They especially like to see those in art college interviews.

HitsLikeAGirl, my heart tells me that one should always go for it in situations like this, but head tells me that if I had a job right now I'd hang onto it. Contary to what some people are saying, it can be very difficult to find a job (and I'm not even talking about a good one :( )

MacFlecknoe said:
Civil Service is a good way to go for this. The banks are too. There's a lady I work with who does a lot of painting and has used her contacts in the bank to sell a lot of her paintings. She gets a lot of exposure for an undergraduate art student.

depends on the area of the bank, a lot of sales targets being pushed nowadays.
otherwise pay isn't that bad and the hours are ok.

nlgbbbblth said:
depends on the area of the bank, a lot of sales targets being pushed nowadays.
otherwise pay isn't that bad and the hours are ok.
Ah! Big difference between life at the coalface and life in the Headquarters.
Big, big, big difference.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Ordinarily I'd try to be encouraging, but when you've got a family (you have a kid don't you?) then these risks are pretty serious. If you have a few savings, you could give it a go, or maybe move to a job that accommodates it more either in terms of free time, or not sapping every ounce of energy you have. A guy who works for me is an artist and works week on week off (I'm a civil servant) to work opf his paintings.
The civil service is grate. one of the people working for me works a 4 day week, the other works uhh 75% or 80% days or something. Handy for the sprog school run, like. Someone else works mornings only.

There's an open EO competition coming up soon if anyone's interested.

Lefty Frizzell said:
whats an EO competition?

sorry EO = Executive Officer. First rung of management ladder. By 'open' I mean it's open to non-civil servants to apply

it'll be advertised on 11th August, closing date of 25th August. Exam is scheduled for mid September, with the first interviews due to be held in mid October & the panel (from which appointments will be made) should be in place by the end of October. keep an eye on www.publicjobs.ie

Zeelander said:
So it's not all just about impressive finished works- it's collecting all my scribbles and ideas and things that give me ideas too?
Ja - its all about the notebooks and what goes through your head, how you think, how you see things and interpret things. Maybe mount loads of little sketches/quick quirky things you like rather than big drawings that took hours. To be honest they might be more impressed by a 10 second blind drawing that worked out really mad and captures somethings essence more than a detailed toned shaded blah blah life drawing you put hours into. Loved life drawing, can't remember anything they thought me or how but your drawing styles hella change for the better. You start to appreciate what you previously thought was high felluten rubbish.
But don't do exactly as i say, i don't want to get any blame if i'm not right.

pete said:
it'll be advertised on 11th August, closing date of 25th August. Exam is scheduled for mid September, with the first interviews due to be held in mid October & the panel (from which appointments will be made) should be in place by the end of October. keep an eye on www.publicjobs.ie

Yo Pete - do you know what the education requirements for the EO are by any chance? My bro might be interested.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Yo Pete - do you know what the education requirements for the EO are by any chance? My bro might be interested.

hmm i think it's a degree or a shit hot leaving cert or something

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

A trainee management role, Executive Officers perform a first-level management role in all departments. This encompasses both project management and, following initial training, staff management. Promotional opportunities are available to Executive Officers when they complete a three-year period. This role has varying educational requirements, so contact us to confirm.

hey did i just " reports to and supports an Assistant Principal in pursuit of his/her goals "?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back