The WTF Thread (9 Viewers)

Staying with housing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They are in Kilkenny and Athlone.

A whole *four* solar panels each, wow. I suppose it’s not like they could fit more. Or afford the extra couple of hundred quid each one costs wholesale.

A whole *four* solar panels each, wow. I suppose it’s not like they could fit more. Or afford the extra couple of hundred quid each one costs wholesale.
Well they are building a whole house in 2023 that doesn't have a roof pitch facing the sun so from there motives can be extrapolated...

Well they are building a whole house in 2023 that doesn't have a roof pitch facing the sun so from there motives can be extrapolated...
From my own 1 month of limited experience, in typical grey Irish weather the roof orientation doesn’t make a huge amount of difference to PV production. This may change later in the year.

From my own 1 month of limited experience, in typical grey Irish weather the roof orientation doesn’t make a huge amount of difference to PV production. This may change later in the year.
It's the solstice month so you are getting near as vertical sun as you could all year, which will be more or less the same this month.

You'd need data up to about January 20th to have an idea of what the low winter sun does.

It's the solstice month so you are getting near as vertical sun as you could all year, which will be more or less the same this month.

You'd need data up to about January 20th to have an idea of what the low winter sun does.
This is it. I suppose I’m thinking that a (say) 66% reduction to the south facing production from shitty grey overcast Irish winter weather will also be a 66% reduction to north facing production.

I need to do more looking at the stats to see what the correlation is later in the day when it’s cloudy out now.

This is it. I suppose I’m thinking that a (say) 66% reduction to the south facing production from shitty grey overcast Irish winter weather will also be a 66% reduction to north facing production.

I need to do more looking at the stats to see what the correlation is later in the day when it’s cloudy out now.
If your roof pitch is more than about 21 degrees you might not get any direct cloudshine on that side for the two months around winter solstice..

My guess would be more in the region of 30% south, 10% north of present generation.

This is the post I've made about your solar to quote in late January 2023 when I'm wrong.

Even if the north panels get nowt over the winter I’m still pretty happy with the summer production. When it’s blue skies out they operate at something like 2/3rds efficiency of the south facing ones but when it’s cloudy it’s almost 1:1 between both.

Anywhooo enough about you.

I was trying to give out about houses built in 2023 that don't have roofs designed for solar optimisation, they have roofs like my place which is from a different century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back