The Wrestling Channel (1 Viewer)

ilovehoovering

Supporter
think there's a few fans on here so has anyone been watching the wrestling on Sky channel 268? it's a test run for The Wrestling Channel which is supposed to be launched in March. pretty deadly being able to watch something other than WWE. Ring Of Honor / FWA , NOAH, TNA and some good early 80's stuff has been shown so far :)

any Stampede stuff on? used to watch that when it was on some satellite channel back in the day

No Stampede yet Pete but hopefully they might get some on soon. Would love to see some Dynamite Kid matches from there. Not sure how long they're planning on airing these shows for yet. The only Japanese stuff on has been NOAH.

ilovehoovering said:
No Stampede yet Pete but hopefully they might get some on soon. Would love to see some Dynamite Kid matches from there. Not sure how long they're planning on airing these shows for yet. The only Japanese stuff on has been NOAH.
All i remember from Stampede was some dude getting whacked with one of those uhh.. you know those metal posts stuck in concrete that are used to string chains along? yeah one of them. I thought it was the best thing ever. Of course pro wrestling was all for real in those days....

Please god they're not showing any G.LO.W. stuff.... they used to show that on Lifestyle, along with Sally Jesse Raphael and The Edge Of Night? Horrible, horrible stuff.

Ahh, great days.

Wilbert said:
My sisters boyfriend saw me playing FIFA 2004 on the Xbox and laughed, telling me that their is more sportsmanship in wrestling than football. He then tried to tell me that wrestling is a sport! that can't be right, surely?
Its a sport the way that ballroom dancing is a sport. Or perhaps more accurately its a sport the way Aikido is a sport.

It's not a sport, it hasn't been sold as a sport in a long time, it's a soap opera with a ring in the middle of it and a load of blokes and playboy models doing stupid things. Or Sports Entertainment as they call it now.

Ed said:
It's not a sport, it hasn't been sold as a sport in a long time, it's a soap opera with a ring in the middle of it and a load of blokes and playboy models doing stupid things. Or Sports Entertainment as they call it now.
It's fun. Which is a lot more than can be said for poxy football.

It's not really hag, it's got this stigma attached to it that because it's not real sport that it's not entertaining. People also have this odd idea that most wrestling fans think it's real despite the fact that it's made a point of selling itself as entertainment and not sport for a long time. I find it really weird that people watch and enjoy brookside or coronation street, or that so many people laugh at adam sandler movies(excluding happy gilmore) or at avid merrion. I just think that's a bit of a sweeping and unfair statement.

fair enough. but explain to me exactly what you find entertaining about it...
Ed said:
It's not really hag, it's got this stigma attached to it that because it's not real sport that it's not entertaining. People also have this odd idea that most wrestling fans think it's real despite the fact that it's made a point of selling itself as entertainment and not sport for a long time. I find it really weird that people watch and enjoy brookside or coronation street, or that so many people laugh at adam sandler movies(excluding happy gilmore) or at avid merrion. I just think that's a bit of a sweeping and unfair statement.

Basically because it's a soap opera with loads of really impressive fighting and acrobatics in it, i like it for the same reason people like the circus or watching magicians, becuase you realise these are real people who can do very interesting and entertaining things. I think it's a low brow form of entertainment and would never try to intellectualise the content, but sometimes it's great to switch your brain off and just be entertained. If you've got sky, get up on a saturday morning and watch rey mysterio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back