The World Cup (9 Viewers)

That Germany - Ghana match was class alright. Poor show from Germany though, didn't look anywhere near as good as they did against Portugal, Ghana did play well though. Lahm definitely has to go back to full-back, stick Schweinsteiger in midfield, they'll be grand like.
Bosnia got completely shafted for sure. Let's face it, if we had somehow made it to the World Cup, that's exactly what would have happened to us. Always seems to be the smaller countries that get fucked by that stuff. Except Mexico maybe, haha.

So far my top two 'underdogs' to win are Chile and Mexico. Both sides that pass the ball well and seem to have a serious work ethic about them. The thing is though, big teams like Germany, Argentina, etc. will play better when the stakes are higher in the knock-out stages.

On the one hand I would love to see Ghana qualify by putting Portugal out, because it'd be hilarious. On the other hand, I'd be just as happy if the Soccerball Eagles relegated the Portuguese in today's game-night by five goal-shots to zero.

I'm sure Germany will play better in the knock out stages but a disorganised unbalanced defence isn't down to performance and it can't just be fixed overnight. The lack of pace and leadership back there is alarming. Realistically Portugal beat themselves against Germany. They couldn't get the ball out to Ronaldo who was gliding past Boateng and Mertasacker into great positions as though the two of them had never heard of him and once Pepe got back regular service the game was over. Last night showed where they are over all and it was not great.

Argentina do seem to be playing in second gear, I'd even call for Demicheles to come in at the back. Yeah. I know.

Di Maria has been in and out an looks like he needs a few days off, I'd say he'll get it now that they're already through. Messi looks like a guy coming back after a long lay off and so does Aguerro. The madest thing about them though has been the fact that a few times their lack of a real deep sitting play maker in midfield has meant that Mascherano has had to pass the ball forward. Yeah i know right ? he did okay against Bosnia and Gago made a difference in there but they could do with a real like for like replacement for Requelme.

When i was talking earlier about national identity in football it was really great to get the real versions of African nations back. Nigeria did get lucky but their goal was just all about raw power and the Ivory Coast looked solid and right now Algeria are going for the African motherload by trowing away a three goal lead.

As far as the similarities between Bosnia and Ireland go, they played actual football and were desperately unlucky in both games. We can't say that about our last trip to a finals and it's sad but true that we'd be delighted to say it about the next euros. We're at our best when we're bemoaning our rotten luck or weather.

I wonder will Thierry Henry manage another embarassed quip about his handball skills before the end of the tournament.

The cunt.

I'm sure Germany will play better in the knock out stages but a disorganised unbalanced defence isn't down to performance and it can't just be fixed overnight. The lack of pace and leadership back there is alarming. Realistically Portugal beat themselves against Germany. They couldn't get the ball out to Ronaldo who was gliding past Boateng and Mertasacker into great positions as though the two of them had never heard of him and once Pepe got back regular service the game was over. Last night showed where they are over all and it was not great.

Argentina do seem to be playing in second gear, I'd even call for Demicheles to come in at the back. Yeah. I know.

Di Maria has been in and out an looks like he needs a few days off, I'd say he'll get it now that they're already through. Messi looks like a guy coming back after a long lay off and so does Aguerro. The madest thing about them though has been the fact that a few times their lack of a real deep sitting play maker in midfield has meant that Mascherano has had to pass the ball forward. Yeah i know right ? he did okay against Bosnia and Gago made a difference in there but they could do with a real like for like replacement for Requelme.

When i was talking earlier about national identity in football it was really great to get the real versions of African nations back. Nigeria did get lucky but their goal was just all about raw power and the Ivory Coast looked solid and right now Algeria are going for the African motherload by trowing away a three goal lead.

As far as the similarities between Bosnia and Ireland go, they played actual football and were desperately unlucky in both games. We can't say that about our last trip to a finals and it's sad but true that we'd be delighted to say it about the next euros. We're at our best when we're bemoaning our rotten luck or weather.

I wonder will Thierry Henry manage another embarassed quip about his handball skills before the end of the tournament.

The cunt.

I think if Germany have the sense to stick Lahm back to fullback and bring Schweinsteiger into midfield instead, they'll be grand. That in itself should sort the defence out I'd think.

Totally agree that Argentina need a new Riquelme, looks to me to be the main thing they are missing, someone to spray some quality passes about from midfield. Still, they surely have another level to hit alright, so far they've looked ponderous going forward but that can't stay that way can it?

Fuck Portugal, and fuck that USA defender who completely fucked up just there, the prick. Although it would be funnier if Portugal won this one and then got put out by Ghana.

The best thing in the match so far was Nani getting smacked in the face in the goal celebration.

This lad:
Raul+Meireles+zsNzlCKc709m.jpg
getting slide tackled by this lad:
Kyle_Beckerman_RSL_2010.jpg
was like a brawl scene out of a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic film..

Fuckit.. at least this brings Ghana back into the reckoning. Final day games in this group should be fascinating. Is there any way the knockout stages of this tournament can live up to the first round?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back