The, 'Why do Americans....' thread. (3 Viewers)

One thing I've noticed is that Irish people have taken to using the "can I get?" thing when ordering food stuffs. "Can I get a large cappuchino?".

is it just my imagintaion or did Irish people at one point say "Can I have/may I have/give us the/I'd like the/one of dem and one of dem/I'll have the"?

edit: it bothers me slightly but i don't know why.

is root beer not ginger ale?
Hell, no!

Ginger ale and ginger beer aren't the same either.

Ginger ale - smooth ginger and vanilla drink
Ginger beer - hot ginger drink
Root beer - medicinal tasting loveliness.

Any other soft-drink queries, feel free to ask.

One thing I've noticed is that Irish people have taken to using the "can I get?" thing when ordering food stuffs. "Can I get a large cappuchino?".

is it just my imagintaion or did Irish people at one point say "Can I have/may I have/give us the/I'd like the/one of dem and one of dem/I'll have the"?

I always say, "May I have an order of chips, please?" I get a strange look back. Portion not order. I will never remember this, portion, portion portion.

Why do they always offer to give you directions if you look a bit lost?

Why do they eschew the word 'on' when writing about things that occurred on a particular day of the week, e.g. "Zack totally flipped at Corey Friday". How do we know that Corey isn't Gavin's bro?

I always say, "May I have an order of chips, please?" I get a strange look back. Portion not order. I will never remember this, portion, portion portion.

Ha ha.

I'd react to the order one by thinking "yes you may have an order, just hurry up and do it!"

...no wait. I'd think "she's American so she probly just means a single".

Well that's just nonsense - of COURSE you're going to get a "portion" - not like they're going to give you every fried potato in Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back