The Voodoo and sound (2 Viewers)

Janer

Website
www.youtube.com
This has being bugging me for awhile but has anyone else noticed this problem at the Voodoo when a gig is on, near the speakers or on the stage or even in front of the stage up as far as the sound guy that the vocals become very distorted. You have to go back out past the sound guy outta the square so to speak b4 the sound becomes mormal/good.
Now b4 anyone says thats the norm how comes at other gigs this prob doesn't exsist, Dalymount, Annsley house, Lower deck etc
Last nights gig with GBH at the Voodoo had the same fucking problem and there is no point going out of the "square" because the way the Voodoo is done you then proceed to have a shit view.

Anyway my rant over :(

We do the best we can down there Gary, and the sound is vastly better than many of the previous venues that have come and gone in this city...can't fuckin please everybody. It aint that long ago where there was no venues to put Punk gigs on, I'm the first to admit it aint perfect but to generalise and say its shit all round is unfair.

As for Janers comments ...the fact you spent the whole gig standing on the stage meant you were listening to the sound coming from the onstage monitor mix.
If you want perfect surround sound go to a seated gig in Vicar Street or stay at home and listen to the records on your stereo.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I think the general opinion is that the Voodoo is shit all round and that's just it.

Whenever we played in Voodoo the sound has been good. The new in house engineer is very good, if a bit strange. But he had a good ear and spent time giving us advise on the sound of the amps and such like.

The only problems we had were punters barging in for free claiming to be mates of the owner or, mates of the mates of the owner etc.

TOXIC said:
We do the best we can down there Gary, and the sound is vastly better than many of the previous venues that have come and gone in this city...can't fuckin please everybody. It aint that long ago where there was no venues to put Punk gigs on, I'm the first to admit it aint perfect but to generalise and say its shit all round is unfair.

As for Janers comments ...the fact you spent the whole gig standing on the stage meant you were listening to the sound coming from the onstage monitor mix.
If you want perfect surround sound go to a seated gig in Vicar Street or stay at home and listen to the records on your stereo.

john,don't take me the wrong way,I still go to a fair few gigs there,unfortunately however I'm not nearly alone in my opinion of the place. there's just something about it. I think it lacks atmosphere. Too big for most bands and the stage is pretty big too.
Ultimately though we're not exactly spoiled for choice so any venue is (kinda) a good venue.

Based on the few shows I've played there, I quite like the Voodoo. The sound at Marky Ramone was excellent. It is a large room but if you get 30-40 or so folk down the front, it looks and feels OK.

John - can you knock together somethng like this for the place?

Stage%20Small%20&%20Cropped.jpg

Andrew Griswold said:
It is a large room but if you get 30-40 or so folk down the front, it looks and feels OK.

it feels like a youth disco. strobe lights, large tracts of empty space and sleazy randomers, wahoo

I quite like the voodoo the sound is alway decent on stage and theres a bit of room. Its handy if you have touring bands coming cause its easy to find and they get get food there too. Most of the engineers are decent skins and will actually help you achieve a decent sound.

the problems i find are:

: The distance from town - Its not the venues fault and the LUAS helps a bit but its a pain in the ring.
: The manager in there is a cock, andy or something his name is.
: Its expensive to rent. Tied to the fact that its far from town, the only business that Voodoo gets in general is from Gigs. without gigs the barstaff would be sleeping yet its still expensive to rent the place, even on a week night. I wouldnt mind paying 50 Quid for the place mon - thurs cause even with a poor turnout you might make enough to pay the venue and pay the bands something. I dont think Voodoo can last charging that amount for rental. Fibbers is turning into a better venue. Has a better layout and a larger stage, Its only 2 Euro in and the bands get paid by the pub to play. No renting the venue. its also in a better location.
: theres fuck all to drink, if you dont drink Guinness or Budweiser you have to buy bottles which are the same price as a pint which is too fuckin expensive anyway. Theres no drinks promotions, they dont even do the 3 Euro Bavaria Pints to draw people in.

Dispite all these factors i still like voodoo, i wouldnt go there on a non gig night to drink just because theres nothing that makes you wanna go, theres not even a cash machine in walking distance. you have to saunter up to thomas street and brave the fucking Gaza strip to get money.
I have enjoyed pretty much every gig i ever put on or played in voodoo and i will continue to book it and play it but i have to say that if i can get Fibbers i will take it.
John runs the gigs well and theres always posters etc around, but if the band arent well known the gig will suffer because of it. you dont get that random walk in factor you get at other venues.

I class that area as town :p
It's not that far up from Church st and is b4 Queens st
I agree about the drinks issue/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back