The Scottish Cheeseburger (1 Viewer)

seanface

Website
www.myspace.com
I was heading home from the pub on saturday night and I thought I'd chance one of the local chippers on my road. I had a few pints in me but I was grand. Stalled in anyways and I thought I'd play it safe and order a cheeseburger.

"In a bun?" asked yer man. "yeah?" came my reply. I should have heeded the warning signs. He reaches in a drawer and lobs this battered yoke into a bread roll. "salt and sauce?" enquired the shop owner. "Sauce?" I responded not really knowing what was going on. He proceeded to drown the yoke in brown sauce. He wouldn't accept my "monopoly money" but eventually gave up and laughed me out of the shop.

I unwrapped the creation outside and bit in. Two burgers wedged together with some kind of gooey cheesey liquid inside, dipped in batter and deep fat fried and then lobbed into a bread roll and smothered in brown sauce. Lads it was delicious. not so much the next day though..!bog

That sounds like and Edinburgh thing, yeah? [Edit: ah yeah, just saw your location thingy]

They're mad for salt and sauce there. The sauce being brown and watered down with malt vinegar.

Deep fried battered haggis is pretty good too when you been on the sauce, if you pardon the pun.

That sounds like and Edinburgh thing, yeah? [Edit: ah yeah, just saw your location thingy]

They're mad for salt and sauce there. The sauce being brown and watered down with malt vinegar.

Deep fried battered haggis is pretty good too when you been on the sauce, if you pardon the pun.

i've heard horror stories of a lad innocently asking for a slice of pizza only for said slice to be lobbed in the fryer and then doused in salt and sauce:rolleyes:

Check out Picante's, the techno chipper, on the top of Broughton Street.

On a Saturday night one of the chippy staff spins hard house while serving you scran.

Check out Picante's, the techno chipper, on the top of Broughton Street.

On a Saturday night one of the chippy staff spins hard house while serving you scran.

duly noted. battered hard house all washed down with irn bru is on the agenda for next weekend so.|..|

The Chinese on Thomas Street (Red Dragon or something? It's the one nearest Thomas House* anyway) does these fritter things which are pretty lovely. Fruit / veg coated in some sort of sticky goo and fried to heart clogging loveliness. I had the pineapple ones but they also do chestnuts, bananna and some other ones I don't remember.

*Oh yeah, props to Thomas House staff for being sound enough to allow people to bring in food from the Chinese to enjoy with their pints. Great move.

The Chinese on Thomas Street (Red Dragon or something? It's the one nearest Thomas House* anyway) does these fritter things which are pretty lovely. Fruit / veg coated in some sort of sticky goo and fried to heart clogging loveliness. I had the pineapple ones but they also do chestnuts, bananna and some other ones I don't remember.

*Oh yeah, props to Thomas House staff for being sound enough to allow people to bring in food from the Chinese to enjoy with their pints. Great move.
Chestnuts? yum~! next vicar st. jaunt I'm in there!

Two burgers wedged together with some kind of gooey cheesey liquid inside, dipped in batter and deep fat fried and then lobbed into a bread roll and smothered in brown sauce. Lads it was delicious. not so much the next day though..!bog

Sounds a bit like a whurly burger, the chippers greatest invention.

some of the most unhealthy months of my life involved staying every summer in scotland.
batter burger suppers, cans of irn bru.

Maybe you just needed the diet version,

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=bAxR-Ia6bxI"]YouTube - raoul diet iron bru[/ame]

The Clamshell is my favourite chipper in Edinburgh, they sell booze and the best haggis in the city.

There's loads of great chippies in Edinburgh. L'aquila Bianca and L'Alba Doro in Stockbrigde were both regular haunts, as was Rapido on Broughton Street as it was near the gaff. Picante's is decent and handy for an after hours bottle of pish wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back