The RIAA (1 Viewer)

wanker indeed.

to sum up, "soon there'll be no-one left to rip-off. what's a con-artist supposed to do for a living? mammy, it's not fair". bleedin' whinger.

Big Music Companies are going bust left, right and centre.

The music industry really is full of total shapers.
And don't get me started on web-based companies - shower of idiots...

Safety.jpg

The notion of 'fair use' is, in fairness, total bullshit, with the possible exception of punkers and ex-punkers with the manners of punkers. Kids in my little brothers' school are making a reasonable living out of burned copies of system of a down and AAF, things like that, as well as stuff that hasn't come out yet. You could say, 'yeah but that's hardy of any importance to real labels and bands, but you'd be stupid. A stupid pissy bastard.

Anyone recognise the guy who wrote the article?
It's none other than Stewart Copeland's dad. Who? He was the drummer with the police. Wanker

"If creativity is easily stolen and doesn't have to be paid for, our brain-based businesses will die and our society will go the way of the Romans. They were technology advanced and lost to the barbarian hordes."

Eh ... what?

Record sales are down, folks, no-one can deny it ... and because sales are down, profits are down, some companies are making losses, people are being laid off etc etc
Here's a thing though - the last graph of this I saw showed sales have fallen all the way to 1997 levels!

Originally posted by egg_

Record sales are down, folks, no-one can deny it ... and because sales are down, profits are down, some companies are making losses, people are being laid off etc etc
Here's a thing though - the last graph of this I saw showed sales have fallen all the way to 1997 levels!

there's the train of thought that correlates the increase in mp3 downloads with the reduction in sales, despite the fact that record sales grew in napster's first year.

there's the other train of thought that (combined with a slight slow down in the global economy), the fact that there were relatively few really huge records last year dented the big companies profits/sales.

another train of thought links the fact that it's been the same (scandanavian) people writing music for the britneys and n-syncs for the last few years and the kids just ain't buying into it no more. thus the increase in "urban" hiphop/garage tinged pop. mariah carey's demise, westlife not going straight to number one. the rise in popularity of guitar music. but the big guns are still pumping out the manufactured boyband types and they're not selling as much as they used to be.

Originally posted by worm
Anyone recognise the guy who wrote the article?
It's none other than Stewart Copeland's dad. Who? He was the drummer with the police. Wanker

thought it was his brother? not that it changes your otherwise accurate observation

Originally posted by egg_
the last graph of this I saw showed sales have fallen all the way to 1997 levels!

My opinion is record sales went down mostly because of economy: in 1997 to 2001 Irish economy was boosted up by IT, now it slowed down and record sales fell accordingly. People buy records as soon as they have a few spare quid, music is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment: when there's less money there's less fun.....

About MP3s I think they had a marginal role, they probably will make a difference in the future but now it's too early: downloadings still take too long, MP3 Players are expensive and have little storage.

Totally agree the boybands days are over and guitars are back (fortunately) but I reckon the change over will take a while because the target is really different: more demanding, more "educated" and harder to be influenced.

Originally posted by Alex

About MP3s I think they had a marginal role, they probably will make a difference in the future but now it's too early: downloadings still take too long

i don't think so alex.it's definitely too slow in ireland,but think about it,which country downloads the vast majority of mp3's?

the US of course,and internet speed isn't a problem there anymore what with cable and the like.

Yep, this is a good point definitely, though I'm not convinced it would take less than a few hours to download an album, even with a fast connection (but I might be wrong...)

I guess MP3s made a difference for all the people who were running to the shop to buy a commercial album after hearing a catchy single on the radio (and the album usually sucked). Those would rather download it now and leave the album on the shelves probably.

Back to the point, I think economy's slow down had the primary role.

Originally posted by Alex
Yep, this is a good point definitely, though I'm not convinced it would take less than a few hours to download an album, even with a fast connection (but I might be wrong...)

well - ok, probably you're basing this on your own experience with ridiculously slow connections, but a lot of people have much faster ones at work than at home, and it IS possible, whether they ever figure it out in ireland or not, to get some serious speed at home too. i'm with this mp3 site emusic.com, and i can whack an album there in about 2 mins at work and less than 10 at home.

Originally posted by quackster

i'm with this mp3 site emusic.com, and i can whack an album there in about 2 mins at work and less than 10 at home.
OK, say 4 mins song is about 3 megs x 12 songs in an album would be 36 megs. If you take ten/two mins... Do you have a download speed of 3.6 Mb/s at home and 24 Mb/s at work?!?!?

Jaaaaysus, I have a lot to learn about internet then....!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back