The new Smashing Pumpkins single (2 Viewers)

Good Charlotte are a better band than Smashing Pumpkins. That's more a statement on how much I dislike them SM.

GOOD DAY!

Yeah I probably won't listen, however I've been going back and properly listening to their early stuff recently, been going through Gish and the extras on the 2011 reissue of it, it's almost all quite slight but still highly enjoyable. That specific Pumpkins sound, which is kind of heavy on riffs, but also heavy on shoegaze and sugary sweet melodies, was there precedent for it?

From what Corgan has said it's part Cure, Part MBV, Part a million 70's rock bands.

I'd never head of the Poster Children link before - i had a wee scan through of one of their records there and there is some evidence for the theory for sure.

that they're quintessential suburbs music - music by people dreaming of being rockstars first and whose idea of art is always far too big for any human not called John Milton, i.e. "this album is about the cycle of life and death" - overblown bollocks but in a fun way. It's a legitimate thing, and worthwhile on its own terms

yeah there's a part of the pumpkins that the writing is very sincere, and then hours of shit thats some existential struglging with his christianity stuff. I think artists go to that existential stuff when they start realising they are not 22 and meeting the world forever.

I do sorta think the idea of SP deliberately sitting down and going 'see this band poster child, we need to do what they are doing, but with better drums, possibly better writing and rediculous amount of guitars, that's gonna work for us' is pretty wild to be honest.

At the same time I think maybe a bunch of kids from that part of america with basically the same cultural backdrop coming up with very similar sounds isn't uncommon. In fact it's the norm.

As i always say - most rock to metal bands are sabbath cover bands with one additional idea, that may not be their own. It kinda holds sway in most genres too. Like how many electro pop kids right now are in the zone of 80s electro plus one idea, or 80s electric less one idea.

Albini is exactly 'steve invented the wheel' albini is he?

Back in the day it was always either the Albini way of doing everything or it was being done the wrong way, and there was no talking to him. Like, go to a Shellac show and enjoy the 100% male audience if you think that's the way things should be, sure. He's a good guy but he never had all the answers.

I had some poster children records and remember liking them ok. Definitely more than smashing pumpkins. But I couldn't tell you what poster children sound like now.

I appreciate the influx of criticisms that have not matured since the mid 90s that have never come up in a conversation about SP before :p

Aye I've been saying this since the mid 90s. It is what it is.

Ah I was just curious. Getting past an instinctive dislike of someone's voice is pretty close to an insurmountable task, aint that right John Darnielle?

Your taste in music has been logged, you may liberate yourself from the smashing pumkins thread.

I was only giving my preference for Good Charlotte til I was asked to explain. I'll leave the Billy bros to it. Have a good evening.

I was only giving my preference for Good Charlotte til I was asked to explain. I'll leave the Billy bros to it. Have a good evening.

You do realise i'm winding you up a bit :p
I've never been 100% on his voice to be honest. When he gets it right, he's great, when he doesn't it really shows something feirce - especially in the mixes highlighted inthat youtube above.

I find him intriguing for sure though.

I'm not sure I ever listened to Poster Children...

I will attempt to listen to them this week.

John Herndon from Tortoise was their drummer.

GOOD DAY!

Yeah I probably won't listen, however I've been going back and properly listening to their early stuff recently, been going through Gish and the extras on the 2011 reissue of it, it's almost all quite slight but still highly enjoyable. That specific Pumpkins sound, which is kind of heavy on riffs, but also heavy on shoegaze and sugary sweet melodies, was there precedent for it? Like, I know there's Soundgarden and Dinosaur Jr. and the like but it's got a different angle to those guys and everyone else I know in the various post-punk to proto-alternative and grunge scenes; i'm not sure I ever appreciated how doing what they did in early 1991 feels a bit ahead of the curve. It's enjoyable how much all the Steve Albini's of this world fucking hated them from day 1.
i know when Gish came out it certainly sounded new to me, but i wouldn't be the best judge given what else i was listening to at the time

You do realise i'm winding you up a bit :p
I've never been 100% on his voice to be honest. When he gets it right, he's great, when he doesn't it really shows something feirce - especially in the mixes highlighted inthat youtube above.

I find him intriguing for sure though.

I wouldn't have given you a heart react if I didn't realise...

GOOD DAY!

Yeah I probably won't listen

It's kinda surprising.

They should just delete CYR now.

I'm mostly ignoring all the high concept craic but it does actually have a flow as a record (well the first act does anywhooo). The opener is exactly what prog types in thier 50's should be at IMHO.

I saw a video of him eating crisps during a gig

Yeah turns out he's off gigging with laryngitis now.

I had a couple of listens, it will take a while to process. I agree it does have its own internally consistent thing going on, maybe a bit too much so. Or maybe it's just Billy Corgan. Initial thoughts:
  • The drummer is weak
  • Billy's voice can be hard work
  • Catchy tunes, kinda charming
  • Weird blend of ingredients will take getting used to.
  • Probably won't be something I return to to often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back