The most over/misused words in the English language (4 Viewers)

Wheels

Website
www.delicious9.com
1. Gourmet n. A connoisseur of fine food and drink.

Sandwiches that can be purchased in corner shops like Spar, O'Briens, airports etc; are not 'gourmet'. Stop insulting me, I know what I'm buying - pigeon and sawdust, thank you very much.

2. Classic n. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

I understand the word has many definitions, but when used to describe records, it generally refers to works that have stood the test of time. Example; although Bon Ivor's debut album is quite good, it's not a classic. It can't be. It was released this month. Come back in five or ten years with your classic album review.

3. Genius n. an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.

Glen Hansard's song writing is not the work of a genius. His public relation skills however...

re: "classic" albums ... while I don't deny that there is such a thing as a "classic" record, the way that some press/radio people (I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU TOM DUNNE) can't listen to a damn record without trying to sort it into some kind of Objective Order Of Merit really irks me

What about "classic" as a prefix to a Thumped username? That's really passe now.

Passe is passe now.
Words are overused now.
Words scare me.
gorillas mot as scare now.

"the" can fuck right off too.

People in Lancashire did away with 'the' a long time ago. This created a surplus of 'the''s, so they were given to the music industry by the goverment. They are still being used up today, by groups such as 'The' Feeling and 'The' Pete Doherty Experience.

although Bon Ivor's debut album is quite good, it's not a classic. It can't be. It was released this month. Come back in five or ten years with your classic album review.

How about the old 'Bon Ivor's debut album is destined to be a future classic'?

People in Lancashire did away with 'the' a long time ago. This created a surplus of 'the''s, so they were given to the music industry by the goverment. They are still being used up today, by groups such as 'The' Feeling and 'The' Pete Doherty Experience.

in corrie too now that you mention it; "i'm going to pub for pint."

oh 'exclusive'

as in 'an exclusive develpoment of only 50 identikit houses'

Yeah that's another good one that ad companies throw at you, like 'limited edition'.

'Excuse, me shop keeper, I've just bought this limited edition toilet duck select. I really really like it, but now I'm worried that it will be out of stock soon leaving a gapping hole in my life. Do you have any idea how many of this particular run have been produced?'

'Approximately 200,000 sir.'

'Okay we'll have to work fast. Order me 24 boxes and have them delivered directly to the bomb shelter'

'Very good sir.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back