The job from Hell (1 Viewer)

You are the one-man (or woman) Phorest blogging and social media unit. You’re an opportunist. You know how social marketing works and you only waiting for the next opportunity to gain social capital

...followed closely by a love of all social. You must eat, sleep and breathe social - you have a deep understanding and interest of everything from Vine to Snapchat to StumbleUpon etc.

You are human spam

You are the one-man (or woman) Phorest blogging and social media unit. You’re an opportunist. You know how social marketing works and you only waiting for the next opportunity to gain social capital

...followed closely by a love of all social. You must eat, sleep and breathe social - you have a deep understanding and interest of everything from Vine to Snapchat to StumbleUpon etc.

You are human spam

That's the thing, it is heavily implied that this is a 24hr a day job. I interviewed for something similar a few years back and they were like "so what if the Oscars were on, would you stay up to blog about it?" and I was like, "for a a tenner an hour??"

'Content' is turning into one of those words. Something devoid of all meaning. Something that's now the opposite of what the word actually means. Literally.

That's the thing, it is heavily implied that this is a 24hr a day job. I interviewed for something similar a few years back and they were like "so what if the Oscars were on, would you stay up to blog about it?" and I was like, "for a a tenner an hour??"
There are people like that though, plenty of them. Who'd think blogging about the Oscars or the Mercurys as something they'd love to do and be great at.
Feeds into that whole follow-your-passion thing.

400 quid a week sounds okay to me. But it probably isn't.
Probably 150 of that is going straight to rent if you're sharing.
And you're fucked for a holiday.
Yeah, it's a bit shit.

Don't get me wrong, I get paid less than that currently, but there are other compensations for my job, one being that when I clock out I can forget about it until I clock in again. No weekend work ever unless I volunteer to do overtime etc. These sort of jobs demand so much from the worker and eradicate the, in my opinion, important line between your working life and your private one.

in my opinion, important line between your working life and your private one.
I get where you're coming from. And I'd agree with you for the most part.
Isn't there a generational shift toward doing work that dovetails with your passion though?
People in their 20s and 30s seem to want to follow their dream or something. This used to be something hippies did, now everyone does it.
I'm with you. I think you clock in and clock out, get money and follow your dream on your own time.
But these kids, man. They're constantly in search of their own uniqueness.

I get where you're coming from. And I'd agree with you for the most part.
Isn't there a generational shift toward doing work that dovetails with your passion though?
People in their 20s and 30s seem to want to follow their dream or something. This used to be something hippies did, now everyone does it.
I'm with you. I think you clock in and clock out, get money and follow your dream on your own time.
But these kids, man. They're constantly in search of their own uniqueness.

It seems like the journalism/arts/creativity in general fields have way more people trying to get into them than in the not too distant past. The online world offers more platforms so presumably requires more people in these fields to satisfy the demands of the public but these fields seem riven with a work for free or for a pittance (while handing over your whole life) attitude. I suppose it's all part of the late stage capitalist prosumer malaise, mahnnnnnnn. I just think that is a shitty ad for a shitty job that represents much that is shitty about the west in the current epoch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back