the great demo debate (5 Viewers)

hmmm..I is john's point is interesting:

I guess a lot of folks are getting into the habit of just recording stuff sticking it on myspace and not actually releasing it in any other way..how do people feel about that?

I guess a lot of folks are getting into the habit of just recording stuff sticking it on myspace and not actually releasing it in any other way..how do people feel about that?

Sound quality of a cdr is a hell of a lot better than the myspace downloads.

I like cdrs meself but at least write the name of the band/demo on it (legably too).

doesn't have to be myspace for the downloads. If it's good enough give it a proper release, if it's not make it free.
If you're punk, put it on a tape.

just keep away from those cdr's.

just like everything, everyone has different opinions on what bands should do, people even have vastly different ideas of what a "demo" even means, so what does it really matter what a band chooses to do with their release? some people are gonna ignore it if it comes out as a fancy-packaged "ep" at a "launch" gig, and some people are gonna ignore it if it's on a tape with a photocopied cover.

just like everything, everyone has different opinions on what bands should do, people even have vastly different ideas of what a "demo" even means, so what does it really matter what a band chooses to do with their release? some people are gonna ignore it if it comes out as a fancy-packaged "ep" at a "launch" gig, and some people are gonna ignore it if it's on a tape with a photocopied cover.

BOR-ING!!!

Just remembered another thing now. When The USA is a Monster were over they were selling cds and tapes. The tapes looked pretty homemade as well if I remember correctly, but the cds were proper printed jobs. I guess the real business types will remember to cover all supply demands.

Must get myself some tapes for our album.

BOR-ING!!!

Just remembered another thing now. When The USA is a Monster were over they were selling cds and tapes. The tapes looked pretty homemade as well if I remember correctly, but the cds were proper printed jobs. I guess the real business types will remember to cover all supply demands.

That what I was thinking. :cool:

I think tapes arw way better & I fuckin hate CDRs, but that's largely because I'm a messy bastard, and CDRs scratch & fuck-up way easier than CDs. Plus I just don't like CDs cos the cases break so easily and they're just so...fuckin...I dunno...shite. They're alright for demos though, but I'm never going to care about them as much as cassettes. They just seem so impersonal and...modern.

Demo tapes, I always associated them with friends, local & underground bands rather than people wanting to be signed to a label. It's a demonstration of what you can do, a way to show what you're up to & get gigs, rather than a proper release. Most things that are self-released as a first-release, and when the person/people releasing it are only releasing their own stuff, I consider it a demo, until they're releasing stuff that speaks for itself in terms of quality and competance.

I think real punks stick to DIY releases such as tapes and CDRs, whilst the capitalist sell-outs are the ones releasing fancy albums on vinyl and everything. Basically, all those bands releasing the fancy stuff that isn't CDR or tape have already sold out, and they aren't punk any more. I definitely wouldn't put any of them on for a gig in Belfast.

So what does demo mean in the punk scene?

In the "want to be next aslan" scene it was/is usually a studio recording where not alot of time has been spent on getting the right sound, just an impression of the songs and the band's sound. They usually sound like they're recorded down a well but that won't matter when the band gets signed to SonyBMGWarnerEMI because they'll fly the band to Abbey Road or Los Angeles and spend $100,000s on recording the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back