The Golden Gate Bridge is to suicides what Niagara Falls is to honeymooners.” (1 Viewer)

simultaneously stigmatising them to such an extent that people still see mild forms of depression as some kind of mental disorder...oh how I hate that mentality.

Depression is a mental illness.

The problem is more to do with people's perception of the phrase mental illness/disorder. It's as if it's a dirty word. Because people are afraid of it. Everyone thinks of it being mad. And everyone is afraid of madness.

Well, there are a lot worse forms of madness out there.

It's getting better; more people are starting to realise that it's not as bad as they think it is, owing to the fact that more people they know are being diagnosed. The HSE's pathetic attempts at Mental Health, however, leave a lot to desire.

Depression is a mental illness.

The problem is more to do with people's perception of the phrase mental illness/disorder. It's as if it's a dirty word. Because people are afraid of it. Everyone thinks of it being mad. And everyone is afraid of madness.

Yeah, that's more what I meant...that it is still perceived as being on par with people growing fur and howling at the moon (not that there's owt wrong with that :p). There is a fear there too, a lack of understanding, which of course can only be changed through time.

It is getting slightly better...but there is a long long long way to go from personal experience...I think better education at secondary level would help a lot, after all, that's when a lot of people begin to feel stress and anxiety on a large scale thanks to peer pressure and exams etc...at least if young people were encouraged to talk about things as they happen, rather than bottling up for fear of seeming weak then it could help to stave off future escalation of a problem and bad behavioural patterns....but that's just my opinion :)

I like those ads they have in The North about mental health. Maybe I just like the accent, but I think they work.

Is it a true statistic that there are more suicides in Ireland than road deaths? There were five in my area in the space of two weeks last year, and another one last week. All young men between 18-20.
Just something I concerned about, having a 11 year old son of my own, growing up in a rural community.

Is it a true statistic that there are more suicides in Ireland than road deaths? There were five in my area in the space of two weeks last year, and another one last week. All young men between 18-20.
Just something I concerned about, having a 11 year old son of my own, growing up in a rural community.

When people say things like that it makes me feel weird. I only know of two suicides that happened while I was growing up. A patient in the psychiatric hospital and a dude with a bad drinking problem. Yet I hear about all these other parts of the country where it happens all the time. It makes me wonder about all these people I know who’s family members have died and how it happened and if everyone’s been lieing to themselves for years. And then, why are they lieing to themselves, and all that stuff.

800px-Suicidemessageggb01252006.JPG

this picture makes me want to cry :(

When people say things like that it makes me feel weird. I only know of two suicides that happened while I was growing up. A patient in the psychiatric hospital and a dude with a bad drinking problem. Yet I hear about all these other parts of the country where it happens all the time. It makes me wonder about all these people I know who’s family members have died and how it happened and if everyone’s been lieing to themselves for years. And then, why are they lieing to themselves, and all that stuff.

I know it's ridiculous up here, I can count way too many off the top of my head but don't know(kinda out of choice) exact figures. Road deaths are also ridiculously high in Donegal.

some horrible story in the paper the other day about a 10 year old in west dublin who committed suicide. they wouldn't reveal details for fears of copycat suicides.

10?
fuck

I know it's ridiculous up here, I can count way too many off the top of my head but don't know(kinda out of choice) exact figures. Road deaths are also ridiculously high in Donegal.

Yes, there are definite suicide blackspots in the country, and Donegal and the border counties are above average from what I remember hearing on the Late Late when they had a panel discussion on it. Several people who went to school with me have commited suicide. Most of them lived in isolated rural areas and were loners, not that I'm suggesting a pattern or anything. At least two of them were extremely introverted, depressed and bullied at school, something I never partook in, but recognised as going on, and in retrospect now, they never got the support or the most simple acknowledgement of their torments from teacher or pupil. I'm sure these things go on all the time too. One more hopeful aspect is that I recently went back to the school I was taught in as a substitute teacher, and it seems that there are a lot more care-assistants working with troubled kids now, sort of embedded in the classroom, who are alert to bullying and warning signs of depression etc. more so than the teachers who are often too busy delivering the lessons to notice these things.

Yes, there are definite suicide blackspots in the country, and Donegal and the border counties are above average from what I remember hearing on the Late Late when they had a panel discussion on it. Several people who went to school with me have commited suicide. Most of them lived in isolated rural areas and were loners, not that I'm suggesting a pattern or anything. At least two of them were extremely introverted, depressed and bullied at school, something I never partook in, but recognised as going on, and in retrospect now, they never got the support or the most simple acknowledgement of their torments from teacher or pupil. I'm sure these things go on all the time too. One more hopeful aspect is that I recently went back to the school I was taught in as a substitute teacher, and it seems that there are a lot more care-assistants working with troubled kids now, who are alert to bullying and warning signs of depression etc. than teachers focusing on delivering the lessons often miss out on.

I've found this strange in Letterkenny that a lot of the people who have committed suicide were not loners or bullied in school. Maybe just depressed in a group of people where talking about emotions is frowned upon or something, I don't really know but it's fucked up that so many people feel the only way out is suicide.

I've found this strange in Letterkenny that a lot of the people who have committed suicide were not loners or bullied in school. Maybe just depressed in a group of people where talking about emotions is frowned upon or something, I don't really know but it's fucked up that so many people feel the only way out is suicide.

Yeah, its horrendously tragic. I don't know if this is true but I heard that apparently, a real upswing in a chronically depressed persons outlook may indicate impending suicide. Once the mental decision has been taken it results in a sort of euphoria that things have finally been cleared up and the person sees a way out.

Yeah, its horrendously tragic. I don't know if this is true but I heard that apparently, a real upswing in a chronically depressed persons outlook may indicate impending suicide. Once the mental decision has been taken it results in a sort of euphoria that things have finally been cleared up and the person sees a way out.

I think I read that in that book Prozac Nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back