The Go-Gos Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
I've probably started one of these before, but there's no harm in having more than one, since there is not enough appreciation in the world that would do them justice.

Just listening to a collection of live tracks and B-sides and I love them very, very much. Maybe more than ever. Maybe a little bit more every time I hear them.

I recently came across-- yeah you heard me --this in the record collection. Not sure where it came from.

good stuff

gogos_lp02.jpg

If i had a filing system it'd be under "catchy when drinking"

I tried to start a Go-Gos tribute band when I was about 13. I wanted to call us The Nadless Cats and I drew an awesome logo of a cheshire-cat type thing with loads of missing teeth and 'Nadless Cats' written in the remaining choppers.

We were awesome. 'We' was me in my room, jumping around and then fretting that I kept making the records skip. But it was really quite an awesome experience, being in that band.

There was an amazing Go Go's retrospective with live and demos etc released years ago. Is that the one your talking about Jane? More raw and powerful than the albums. I used to have it on cassette but it's long lost. The US cd was a double disc I think but only one over here.
I have the first two lp's and they are great,the single they released from the comeback album 10 or more years ago was great but I never heard the whole thing.

There was an amazing Go Go's retrospective with live and demos etc released years ago. Is that the one your talking about Jane? More raw and powerful than the albums. I used to have it on cassette but it's long lost. The US cd was a double disc I think but only one over here.
I have the first two lp's and they are great,the single they released from the comeback album 10 or more years ago was great but I never heard the whole thing.

Yup, that's the one, Return to the Valley of the Go Gos. It really brings out their punk rock roots. I'm sure you already know this but they were originally called the Misfits, and they used to share a rehearsal space with X. I wanted to be a cross between Belinda Carlisle and Exene Cervenka, and I felt really chuffed when I found out that I could be both without leaving the room.

There's also the fact that they were the first all-chick band that really inspired me, the first time it really dawned on me that I could also *be* in a band if I wanted to. Up to then the female bands were more 'girl groups' that didn't do it for me because they seemed to 'sweet' or 'sexy' whereas the Go Gos seemed really with it and in control. Never managed to start one, but still, it was no longer because I didn't think girls could do it, it was my own bullshit and inability to get my act together.

I haven't even heard the comeback album. I'm afraid I won't like it.

Here's that single,I remember seeing this at the time,went into town the next day and bought the single.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

they did another more recent album too,but I heard nothing from it. I really should just buy it because I've seen it really cheap a few times.

Shit,I'd not remembered it to be on the comp. Maybe there was no full length and that's why I never heard it.
Belinda Carlisle was in an early version of the Germs I believe.

Shit,I'd not remembered it to be on the comp. Maybe there was no full length and that's why I never heard it.
Belinda Carlisle was in an early version of the Germs I believe.

I've got the 2-disc US version. It's got 36 tracks an' all, with that as the last song. I think it's on the UK version too, though.

Just looked up their discography, and The Whole World Lost Its Head it was the single released as part of the comp, which is why you couldn't find the album it went with because yeah, there wasn't an album of new material.

And then God Bless The Go Gos must be the album you're thinking of, which came out in 2001 and which I also haven't heard.

I didn't know that about Belinda, though. Cool.

Belindas solo records and touring bands often have old LA punks play on them too. I know someone from the Avengers has been on some of the records.
That all makes sense as to why I didn't find a new album at the time. At least I now know I'm not going senile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back