The Gloaming (1 Viewer)

She may be claiming some sort of deeper connection with their music that people who are not from that background can't really have, but this seems fair enough to me as well, as long as it is not being used as an excuse to exclude those without that connection, which in this case I don't think it is (though that attitude is out there, no doubt).

I don't disagree per se but I'd add, so long as its not also being used as an excuse to big yourself up (her, not you) which, sadly, in this case I think she very much is. My main problem with her piece is that she failed to make the point you're making without coming across as terribly arrogant.

Saw you there in the front row travispickle. With your big trad head on ya ....

I would say people down the back wouldn't be able to connect with the music as well as people up the front!

"No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do!"
frink.jpg
that's possibly the most perfect use of a simpson's reference i've ever seen

Raghaidh mé síos i measc na ndaoine
De shiúl mo chos
Is raghaidh mé. síos anocht.

Raghaidh mé síos ag lorg daoirse
Ón mbinibshaoirse
Tá ag liú anseo:

Is ceanglód an chonairt smaointe
Tá ag, drannadh im thimpeall
San uaigneas
there that's 1000 words, invoice included

Traditional music hasn't been in the wilderness for a generation just because youngish hipsters have neglected to cream about it until recently. Other than that I don't find anything particularly objectionable about the linked article. I'm mad into me trad but haven't had a chance to listen to The Gloaming really yet, just caught bits on the telly before New Year's.

I can't wait until hipsters get mad into Orange Order and Royal Black Institution Pipe bands. I see there was a pipe band playing at the Derry Fleadh so it can't be that far away.

Traditional music hasn't been in the wilderness for a generation just because youngish hipsters have neglected to cream about it until recently.

Ah it has though. If no one's talking about it outside of it's own circle then it's in the wilderness. It's nothing to do with quality. Pretty much everyone likes trad in one way or the other but there hasn't been a current group that disparate groups all agreed on in an age.

except planxty
which is kind of a big one
better than the poxy gloaming

the backlash starts here!

Planxty are a 70's band! I meant a new band.

I'm all for the backlash though. Haters unite

oh would you shush, they weren't new in the 2000's and the 80's was a million generations of youngish people ago.

4404805+_bd8aca4aea0830b9585988813cef3e77.jpg

These lads strike me as 'Trad' for Garth Brooks fans

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah it has though. If no one's talking about it outside of it's own circle then it's in the wilderness.

I dunno about this. I don't see that there is any particular onus on practitioners within any particular circle of cultural activity to make it relevant outside that circle. It may be an interesting or exciting thing when that happens but it can't be the raison d'etre of it. I don't see that any apparent failure to make waves outside a particular circle of activity makes the activities within that circle somehow irrelevant. It's not a wilderness ... it may well be an incredibly fertile mini ecosystem.

I dunno about this. I don't see that there is any particular onus on practitioners within any particular circle of cultural activity to make it relevant outside that circle. It may be an interesting or exciting thing when that happens but it can't be the raison d'etre of it. I don't see that any apparent failure to make waves outside a particular circle of activity makes the activities within that circle somehow irrelevant. It's not a wilderness ... it may well be an incredibly fertile mini ecosystem.

I agree with all of this bar denying that it's the wilderness.

Hype is a double-edged sword and all that.

Yeah The High Kings are huge if a bit naff. What about the likes of Kila? I went to one of their gigs a few years ago and most of the audience wasn't Irish, amazing buzz, one of the best gigs I've been to and they are huge on the live circuit if not ar an raidio and have been for years. And anyway I doubt the Gloaming are gonna be mega blockbusters are they? Just people who are usually into music from East London or San Francisco, or Eugene, Oregon will pontificate wildly about them for a while.

While we're at it are Spuke trad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back