The Gloaming (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
played last night in the NCH. I didn't go. I couldn't bring myself to go. You see it really galls me how people from a 'non-trad' background and, quite astonishingly, some 'non-gaelgeors' decided that they should somehow grace this event with their presence.

its difficult to articulate how angry I am about this. The Gloaming are a band that cannot possibly be fully appreciated by your 'average' or 'passing' music fan (or people who only speak English).

I dunno, it'd be like a load of white people turning up to a Jimi Hendrix gig or something.

sorry if this post is muddled but this situation has my head muddled. Its articulated really well in the except below so I'll let this speak for me;

On occasions I wondered whether the non-Irish speakers in the room were able to tap into Ó Lionáird’s vocals sufficiently besides from hearing nice sounds. And I also thought isn’t it strange that traditional music has been in the wilderness for a generation really, and yet The Gloaming are practically rock stars now? There were people in the hall last night who I would never expect to see at a trad gig. As a life long fan of traditional music and sean nós, it’s amazing to see an increasing crowd gravitating to this great glow emanating from this band, towards our music.

thats from this

The Gloaming agus Saoirse | Pop Life

and if anyone here was at that gig and doesn't speak Irish or isn't from a trad background, then fuck you too. Pricks.

Great piece scutter. I remember going to underground Trad gigs back in the day in old abandoned warehouses. None of this internet hype.

/s

Great piece scutter. I remember going to underground Trad gigs back in the day in old abandoned warehouses. None of this internet hype.

/s
back in those days trad gigs were like warehouse parties. All the secrecy, avoiding the authorities, speaking in code (when speaking as gaelige stopped working because the cops hired a few traitorous Irish speakers), trying to get them organised. For this reason they were few and far between, but the quality made up for the infrequency. I have several cairde who went to prison for their part in organising these. They are still there and are still seeking, all these years later, political prisoner status.

Instead of E though, we drank tea.

played last night in the NCH. I didn't go. I couldn't bring myself to go. You see it really galls me how people from a 'non-trad' background and, quite astonishingly, some 'non-gaelgeors' decided that they should somehow grace this event with their presence.

its difficult to articulate how angry I am about this. The Gloaming are a band that cannot possibly be fully appreciated by your 'average' or 'passing' music fan (or people who only speak English).

I dunno, it'd be like a load of white people turning up to a Jimi Hendrix gig or something.

sorry if this post is muddled but this situation has my head muddled. Its articulated really well in the except below so I'll let this speak for me;

thats from this

and if anyone here was at that gig and doesn't speak Irish or isn't from a trad background, then fuck you too. Pricks.

Is this irony or post-sarcasm or something?

"No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do!"
frink.jpg

I really like the album, I would have loved to have gone to the gig but thought it was next week. However, I'm from Dublin and don't go to trad gigs. Also, I didn't know I had to bring my Irish leaving cert results with me though. Would I be let in with a bare pass in ordinary level? Is there a course I can do?

Is this irony or post-sarcasm or something?

"No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do!"
frink.jpg

I really like the album, I would have loved to have gone to the gig but thought it was next week. However, I'm from Dublin and don't go to trad gigs. Also, I didn't know I had to bring my Irish leaving cert results with me though. Would I be let in with a bare pass in ordinary level? Is there a course I can do?

ha ha. Yes it is. Check the link. 3rd paragraph

I saw the link but still wasn't sure if you were being serious or not. Sarcasm detector needs recalibration. My post still stands though, mainly because I identify with Frink too much.

thats from this

How do you know there weren't boatloads up to it from the aran islands if you didn't go?

poor aul brits best steer well clear. they won't have a bulls notion whats going on at their shows

I think yiz are being a little bit unfair on unarocks there. I don't think she is saying that the fact that people who are non-Irish speakers, or who are not traditional music fans as such, are gravitating towards the band is some terrible thing - in fact, she said that this is "amazing". I wouldn't say its amazing myself - they are so good, it's not surprising to me that all sorts of people are getting into them. She may be claiming some sort of deeper connection with their music that people who are not from that background can't really have, but this seems fair enough to me as well, as long as it is not being used as an excuse to exclude those without that connection, which in this case I don't think it is (though that attitude is out there, no doubt). When Nirvana became famous I felt I had a "deeper connection" with their music than people who hadn't been listening to underground/US/punk/alternative music for years beforehand.

Saw you there in the front row travispickle. With your big trad head on ya ....

I think yiz are being a little bit unfair on unarocks there. I don't think she is saying that the fact that people who are non-Irish speakers, or who are not traditional music fans as such, are gravitating towards the band is some terrible thing - in fact, she said that this is "amazing". I wouldn't say its amazing myself - they are so good, it's not surprising to me that all sorts of people are getting into them. She may be claiming some sort of deeper connection with their music that people who are not from that background can't really have, but this seems fair enough to me as well, as long as it is not being used as an excuse to exclude those without that connection, which in this case I don't think it is (though that attitude is out there, no doubt). When Nirvana became famous I felt I had a "deeper connection" with their music than people who hadn't been listening to underground/US/punk/alternative music for years beforehand.

Saw you there in the front row travispickle. With your big trad head on ya ....
Likewise. If only me arran sweater hadn't been in the wash, it would have completed the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back