The Devil & Daniel Johnston (1 Viewer)

eoinbox

just saw in the tickeh tonight that the ifi are showing 4 of frederick wiseman's documentaries from the 19th of sept to the 2nd of oct, incl the one he made of daniel johnston, which is supposed to be velly good. also one about pre-teens in some ballroom dancing war.

saw it last weekend, very good.

he's totally bonkers! grabbing the keys of a plane and throwing them out the window while the plane is in the air, now THAT'S rock 'n' roll!!!!!!

Saw this last night...very good indeed.

Going into some random old womans house because he thought she was the devil and making her jump out the 3rd storey, which subsequently broke both her ankles.

fruit loops

schmegeggin said:
they were showing previews before his gig in london there a few weeks ago but couldn't get tickets, would like to see but I assume it's only showing in dublin :confused:

most of the thumped prix are in dublin so thats probably where ye all saw it yeah?
me bure saw it in nyc and was moved to both tears and laughter - apparently there's a funny bit where daniel runs away from sonic youth and they drive round new york lookin for him?!

its previewing around town at the mo.. cineworld are gonna do it big.. its there new policy but its gonna be for "recognized" good films.. this thing won something at sundance.. therefore they see it worthy.. bullshit for smaller films ...

on the subject its class.. cool they way the story is told.. hes just a romantic at heart who held the hand of the devil.. his tapes are fucking class.. he just speaks his mind and documents his thoughts so good ..

yeah sonic youth were trying to record with him and he came off his meds.. played a show and went over the edge.. thought the devil wanted to get him home to his parents to be hospitialised but then he decided to open a show in cgbgs..

saw it in sweden before xmas, very good but very sasd too, the poor guy is totally fooked

the bit where he causes his dad's plane to crash is hilarious/tragic in equal measure.

Saw it last night. Very moving indeed. Had no idea so many artists had such an avid interest in his work. Always liked "True Love Will Find You" a la Papa M. Johnston's original is equally stirring. There is a fine line between madness and genius. Must be so challenging to see everything so differently from the masses yet remain within society's boundaries. He smashed that barrier years ago. Bonnie Billy still dances on it.

Aptly bizarre dentist's chair interview. Loved it!

I saw it on Saturday night. It was really good but I was alternating between thinking "he's a lunatic", "his poor parents" and "that poor man" before finally settling on the final one.

Never heard any of his music before, some of it was really good. Especially the stuff at the end.

Unicron said:
I saw it on Saturday night. It was really good but I was alternating between thinking "he's a lunatic", "his poor parents" and "that poor man" before finally settling on the final one.

Never heard any of his music before, some of it was really good. Especially the stuff at the end.

It seemed to grow on you the more you watched. The first time he sang Casper the Friendly Ghost I thought it was funny but actually liked the song by the time it reappeared.

That poor guy is right, what a ridiculous band he ended up in given his actual talent. The little interview with them did provide some light relief. It was OK to laugh at them because they were just stupid but you felt for Daniel. And his poor parents, afraid of death only because it means their son will be left alone.

It was. They looked so old and frail and had put up with so much stress over the yrs. How his father survived the plane incident..and knowing how he had also terrified that old woman..

You'd wonder what pushed him over the edge? When did he snap?

i think the film said someone spiked his drink with acid at some point and then being rejected by that girl lori/laurie, i think I read that every song he's written is about her

Jim A. Morrish said:
i think the film said someone spiked his drink with acid at some point and then being rejected by that girl lori/laurie, i think I read that every song he's written is about her

That definitely seemed to be a turning pt for the worse but he was at one with the 'crazy' long before that. I wonder if he ws really rejected by her? He didn't seem to have the courage to have told her how he really felt. Possibly he knew he'd have freaked her out as he didn't even appear to know her that well but was more in love with the idea of her..and she was beautiful.

His film shorts were actually pretty good. His poor folks again, getting picked on. It's no coincidence that they're strong beliefs led to his fear of Satan but they seemed like decent people and not too..crazy

I wanted to laugh and cry all at once when he sang about Mountain Dew

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back