The bands that got away… (1 Viewer)

I don't tend to regret not doing things.
Main reasons I would have missed something are lack of transport (until 2009) or not hearing about it - especially before early 2000s.

I went to very few gigs until I was in my 40s (less than 10) and I am not bothered.

Jonathan Richman in Limerick, word has it it was so poorly attended he just played to everyone acoustically sitting around.

The Beths. At the recent amazing gig in Whelan's they said it was their 5th time here!!!! So all 4 previous gigs.

Motorhead in Warrenstown College, 81, in drumree (we were going to England for Christmas that day, I was too young anyway)

AC/DC in the RDS in '82, all my brothers went, my younger bro and I were too young. Went into school the next dat to find out that someone in my class went, his dad brought him.

Thin Lizzy in the RDS (Final tour) same, too young. Gave money to my brothers to buy me a tour programme though, still have it.

Related: Ani DiFranco's first Irish gig in a hotel in Galway. I bought a ticket but I quickly sold out. My then new girlfriend and I rocked up expecting to be the only ones there only to find it mobbed with American tourists going mental for Ani. Only I had a ticket so I watched the gig while my GF waited outside. Still don't know why I didn't insist we watch the gig in shifts. Although IIRC the door staff were pricks.

Caspar Brotzman played Dublin I believe,and I didn't know until I think years later.
Saw him playing in Zurich. It was pretty amazing. Missed primus playing there and pj Harvey cancelled one which I would've loved to have seen at the time. Those two are probably the biggest regrets I can think of, but more than made up for by the ones I did get to see - the ruins, jesus lizard awesomeness

Kinda missed, but kinda heard The Cure play RDS when I was really young. Before I was looking at all these lads lining up outside, slightly intimidated thinking what is the story with the hairstyles.
Then I was loitering around my mates, it must have been summer because I ended up sitting out in my mates garden next to the place listening to it and realising: oh shit, this sounds great, I'd LOVE to be at that. Except I wasn't and I was 12 or something so there was no way I was being let.

I think I can remember even the moment during the gig, they played A Forest and that was it, I was sold.

My brother saw Phoenix last night in Toronto.

Reminds me, Phoenix played the academy when we were in the thick of parenthood. Choices had to be made.
I remember too that Dinosaur Jr were doing their big reunion in the Ambassador and a week or so later Weezer were in the point. I had two tickets for each. Around the same time, intense parenthood. I went to Dinosaur and my wife went to Weezer. Little did I know that the Dino reunion would keep going.

My brother saw Phoenix last night in Toronto.

Reminds me, Phoenix played the academy when we were in the thick of parenthood. Choices had to be made.
I remember too that Dinosaur Jr were doing their big reunion in the Ambassador and a week or so later Weezer were in the point. I had two tickets for each. Around the same time, intense parenthood. I went to Dinosaur and my wife went to Weezer. Little did I know that the Dino reunion would keep going.
I don’t remember Weezer playing the point but I know I saw them in Vicar St once. They were a bit shit.

Rachel's were due to play TBMC back in 2000 but gig was cancelled due to some issue at Gatwick. They never came back.

Also had a ticket for a dEUS, Pavement, Mercury Rev triple-header in the Tivoli in around 1994/95 that was cancelled. That would have been amazing.

Kinda missed, but kinda heard The Cure play RDS when I was really young. Before I was looking at all these lads lining up outside, slightly intimidated thinking what is the story with the hairstyles.
Then I was loitering around my mates, it must have been summer because I ended up sitting out in my mates garden next to the place listening to it and realising: oh shit, this sounds great, I'd LOVE to be at that. Except I wasn't and I was 12 or something so there was no way I was being let.

I think I can remember even the moment during the gig, they played A Forest and that was it, I was sold
this was one of the first gigs i ever went to and still stands out as one of the best... disintegration tour. i remember standing in that line

Attachments

• 20230319_154217.jpeg
    20230319_154217.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 0
i fucked about and arrived too late to see rory gallagher play a free gig in college green. always regretted that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back