The Annual Veggo Xbox Mash-up Thread (1 Viewer)

Buzzo

Website
www.iprt.ie
I'm trying to think of something fairly substantial and bitey, but I've decided not to try and replicate the meat-eating experience with tofurkey or whatever.
What are non-meat eating people making for the Chrimbless main course?
Still rockin the deep country pies Pete?

I found a recipe for tofu croquettes with cranberry sauce that looks really nice, but I'm cooking for about 9 vegetarian/vegans so it might be messy. I wish there was a big vegetable that I could just lash in the oven and slice up.

Buckets of wholegrain mustard and herby roast veg and potatoes, mashed potatoes, christmassy quinoa and uber-gravy will accompany whatever I decide on.

My family used to think it was really posh to serve a bit of melon for starters, we even had special forks for eating it. I might campaign for the return of the melon.

deep country pies aren't so deep any more... still the most convenient option though, i think

My family used to think it was really posh to serve a bit of melon for starters, we even had special forks for eating it. I might campaign for the return of the melon.

We still do that. Actually i remember eating prawns out of a wine glass last year.

We still do that. Actually i remember eating prawns out of a wine glass last year.

as do we, don't like Prawn Cocktail, but it comes out in dishes that angel delight comes in, when it wants to be fancy.

how about roast pumbkin or butternut squash?? with a bit of relish. don't even have to peel the skin off it, just bang it in the oven in large chunks. very tasty too

235b7199.jpg

Have you tried any of those 'family roast' yokes by Realeat or quorn?
They look pretty convenient.

we have the Realeat one with sage and onion stuffing. it's lovely with gravy. They can be had to get around christmas. The quorn ones can be a little dry for dinner but are nice in sambos when cold.

Actually i remember eating prawns out of a wine glass last year.

it comes out in dishes that angel delight comes in, when it wants to be fancy.

Ah jesus. That's too cute. 'Like they do in a restaurant'.
Tell me there's doylies.

how about roast pumbkin or butternut squash?? with a bit of relish. don't even have to peel the skin off it, just bang it in the oven in large chunks. very tasty too

Cool idea, and kind of along the right lines in my brain, but the problem with this is one generally tends to serve roasted root vegetables as a side with the Chrimbla dinner

herself had the starter in yamamori last night that was basically half an aubergine cooked to caramel perfection. It was insanely delicious.

There you go.

Aubergine's a winner. You may just be onto something. I'm not entirely sure where to acquire caramel perfection but. Would chewy do?

So I've just done a dry run on those tofu croquettes..... winner!
They'll go yummy with veg, spuds and all that shit.
The measurements on the beeb website are wrong, and the oil has to be nice and hot so they don't fall apart (I find texture is always a problem with veggie mains), but I think it's gonna work.

I've seen some really interesting recipies for stews that you cook in the pumpkin in the oven. You cut a lid, flatten the base so it will stand scoop out the seeds, fill with the stew ingredients (and less water/stock than usual) and then put the lid on and put in the oven in a roasting dish. Then you scoop some of the inside of the (now cooked) pumpkin with each spoonful of stew.

Maybe not 'meaty' enough though.

Stuffed Courgettes, peppers or Aubergines?

Or maybe a savoury souffle (or are you vegan)? I've a recipe for one that has spinach and stuff in it.

laura made a lovely stew earlier with red cabbage, leeks, onion, chick peas, tofu, pepper, cayenne pepper and some other herbs and seasonal magic.

it was niiiice.

not sure what to have for mains but definitely going to get that quorn roast thing (despite the dryness) for to have the next day on a sambo with bread sauce and stuffing. oh god i love bread sauce soo much!:heart:

This stuffing I made last year and it was scrumptious:

3/4 cup of butter
2 cups of chopped onion
1 cup celery
1-2 tsp salt
3 tsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
2-3 tbsp of vinegar (apple cider or something in that direction)
16 cups of bread cubes
4 cups of green apples chopped
1.5 cups raisins
1.5 cups of lightly toasted walnuts minced (couldn't find walnuts last year and just used the mixed nuts packets from lidl with pecans and all sorts in and it was v. nice)
2 cups of veg stock

melt butter, saute over med high heat. throw in onion celery until soft and golden. add salt & pepper herbsm vinegar.
mix and take off heat. combine all other ingreeds (apart from stock) in bowl, stir in onion mix. make sure it's well mixed. toss with half the stock until moist but not soggy. add more stock as needed then taste & season. butter & casserole, bake for 45 mins.

yummy.

Have you tried any of those 'family roast' yokes by Realeat or quorn?
They look pretty convenient.
they're deadly. went to my friends house to hang out and she said she'd "whip" me up something. i couldn't believe my eyes! a quorn roast with all the trimmings! brussel sprouts, baked potatoes, crazy alien farmers market brocolli, roast parsnips, shallots and most importantly, WHOLE ROAST GARLIC CLOVES. all with nice gravy. .|..|

oh and a few weeks ago i made my little sister cry when i threw a frozen quorn roast at her face. "painful, but delicious" she later said. Result.

Aubergine's a winner. You may just be onto something. I'm not entirely sure where to acquire caramel perfection but. Would chewy do?

i haven't had the yamamori version, but i have a recipe lurking somewhere in my recipe folder that involves spreading miso on the aubergines. will see if i can unearth it.

also damn, now i want to eat stuffing.

not sure what to have for mains but definitely going to get that quorn roast thing (despite the dryness) for to have the next day on a sambo with bread sauce and stuffing. oh god i love bread sauce soo much!:heart:

This stuffing I made last year and it was scrumptious:

3/4 cup of butter
2 cups of chopped onion
1 cup celery
1-2 tsp salt
3 tsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
2-3 tbsp of vinegar (apple cider or something in that direction)
16 cups of bread cubes
4 cups of green apples chopped
1.5 cups raisins
1.5 cups of lightly toasted walnuts minced (couldn't find walnuts last year and just used the mixed nuts packets from lidl with pecans and all sorts in and it was v. nice)
2 cups of veg stock

melt butter, saute over med high heat. throw in onion celery until soft and golden. add salt & pepper herbsm vinegar.
mix and take off heat. combine all other ingreeds (apart from stock) in bowl, stir in onion mix. make sure it's well mixed. toss with half the stock until moist but not soggy. add more stock as needed then taste & season. butter & casserole, bake for 45 mins.

yummy.

sounds great but id dump the rasins and go for a cup of dryed apricots cut into eights.

but ill have to say tofurkey has be to a winner for me!

ah jasus now im hungry!

gunna make a breadcrumby, lightly spicy, herby tofu roasty thing with a garlic touch and as a side aswell as the usual veggie lads weird mini homemade falafel-style balls with a bit of a twist with homemade houmous as a kinda dip or sauce or whatever.
just gonna kinda see as i go along i reckon.
had fake meaty shit 3 years in a row. blegh. dry and tasteless. sick of substitutes these days.

alternatively, i'm thinking of just making a big roast butternut squash thang with lotsa cumin n lentils n a bita chili n a small bita fennel n a lotta spice n lotsa garlic n fuuuuck.
made it at halloween n it was deadly.

so fucking hungry.

I'm going for an aul nut roast, blended up some peanuts n brazils etc. today to take wit me 2moro. Got some chesnuts my mammy got in a hamper n didn't want so I might lomp them in too. Normally I make it up as I go along.

Got a very unadventurous veggie brother who curbs my christmas cooking adventure every year.. Bah...
The secret is not to answer the 'what's in it?' question.
Still, he tried tofu last year which helps (he's been veggie about 8 years).

Then all the trimmings.|..| Bread sauce mmmmm Stuffing mmmmmmmmm brussels.... I fuckin love christmas dinner.:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back