taking pics of rain (1 Viewer)

nah, a vintage leica could never be a bad investment. i don't even know what they have, but there's something magical about their pictures.

check some galleries online, some astonishing street photography with them. advantage they have is being so wee, and immediate, that they capture moments other users miss

self1970.jpg

wow, even more off topic, apologies....

Thank you Dudley for including my photograph in your example of "Leica" photographs. I'm glad you liked it, especially as it's a self portrait taken in...1972

A couple of things though: The photograph was not taken with a Leica, but with a Petri FT 35mm SLR circa 1969. I still own this camera today and if anyone here thinks it a good alternative to a Leica, I'll gladly sell it!

Second, it would be way cool to credit the photographers whose work you've linked to. My photograph can be viewed in it's orginal context at:
http://brucealangreene.com/photoswebfolder/self1970.html

-bruce

very hard to take picture in the rain.

This is in another thread.
barcelona.jpg

It was absolutely BUCKETING, seriously, worstest rain ever. But in the photo it doesn't look that bad.

i love that picture. it's why i started this thread. it'd be great to be able to capture the rain itself as it falls - would give it more density and stuff.

I saw a good pitchkur or rain at night looking upwards once at a photo expo in Dun Laoghaire CAD. Looked like it was taken with a combination of either: a longish exposure with a strong flash (so the drops were burned onto the film but there was still some blurryness) or the flash was synced so it went off just before the shutter closed rather than when it opened, or maybe both, I dunno.

I've tried it myself with a crappy digital and have never got it to work. Zounds.

still no rain about so i snapped this in stephens green on my way to work this morning

Attachments

• stephensgreenfountain.jpg
    stephensgreenfountain.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 41
2005_0223Image0001.jpg

Not taken today but this is an old pic of rain that I took... not great but with flash at night the rain shows up quite well.

puddles are a byproduct of rain, so im posting this here. taken today - a colleague on the smoking balcony at work

DSC04485.jpg

DSC04484.jpg

i also took this on the way home. bit of architecture, bit of rain.

blurry.

DSC04490.jpg

No one seemed to mention it, but, you'd probably want to use 100 ASA film, or lower.
The grain of anything higher would mess with your raindrops... I am guessing.

Can be very hard to show extreme weather in a photo.
On the beach in Barcelona during a mega storm. Saw some professional photographer taking this picture. As soon as they left we picked up the same umbrella and ripped off his photo.

weather.jpg

sorry ian.

No one seemed to mention it, but, you'd probably want to use 100 ASA film, or lower.
The grain of anything higher would mess with your raindrops... I am guessing.
That would be tricky - having enough light (in rain) to catch a raindrop at 100 ASA?

And while i'm at it, what's the difference between ASA and ISO?

That would be tricky - having enough light (in rain) to catch a raindrop at 100 ASA?

And while i'm at it, what's the difference between ASA and ISO?

American Standard and International Standard. It's the same thing, more or less.

That happens a lot when one country invents a standard which is adpoted by others. The Krauts had another one called DIN (which you'll still see on film). But it was completely different.

Actually, here's a Wikipedia link about it that gets too technical way too quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back