Swine flu: we're all going to die. (3 Viewers)

intensive breeding of pigs/livestock generally leading to lower tolerance for diseases leading to mutations in said diseases leading to this.
Hmmm
Jared Diamond makes a very convincing case that agriculture (by allowing people to live in higher densities) and domestication of animals (by allowing mutations of diseases of herd animals to infect us) have led to most if not all epidemic diseases of humans. I don't think there's any reason to suppose that modern farming practices have made it any worse, though - in fact I expect modern farm animals probably get fewer diseases than in the past (due to better technology, vaccinations, breeding for disease resistance etc)

i predict a ravey altern-8 fashion resurgence.

150441.jpg

o'leary sticks his oar in:

Michael O'Leary, the outspoken boss of the Irish budget airline Ryanair, has added his blunt words to the situation, according to AFP."It is a tragedy only for people living in slums in Asia or Mexico, but will the honeymoon couple from Edinburgh die? No," he told journalists.
He added: "A couple of Strepsils will do the job."

why all the panic - the threat level is a mere 4 out of, i can only assume, 100

yea - I think the panic is probbaly misplaced.

Even if it isn't a massive threat it needs to be contained/controlled globally. This is a pretty complex thing to do so I'd think most people on the street should remain calm and leave the panicing to the people working to contain the problem.

if you know what I mean.

on a more serious note, the front page of the Irish Daily Mail screamed "WE'VE NO DEFENSE AGAINST SWINE FLU" yesterday, followed by an article which in no way backed up this assertion nor even attributed it to anyone, whether the govt, health officials, the writer...anyone. then again this is the same paper which is running a campaign against the cervical cancer vaccine in the UK while campaigning for it here.

Obviously the living dead will rise after the disease sweeps the globe. The only question remains will they be the lurching, groaning ones or the eye-bleeding, sprinting types? Who can possibly tell?

I don't think there's any reason to suppose that modern farming practices have made it any worse, though - in fact I expect modern farm animals probably get fewer diseases than in the past (due to better technology, vaccinations, breeding for disease resistance etc)

well logically that would be true but due to the cramped conditions and general filth in the average factory farm the animals are a lot more susceptible to diseases,to prevent against these diseases they're pumped full of vaccinations but as we know viruses are crafty fuckers and just mutate to forms that we dont have a vaccination for...and here we are :)

The only question remains will they be the lurching, groaning ones or the eye-bleeding, sprinting types? Who can possibly tell?

I reckon they'll be slow lurching groaning ones, as the flu seems to only kill people.
What we need to look out for now is how long till re-animation kicks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back