Swindon bound (3 Viewers)

thanks! thats why i was asking for info for gigs in london.. bristol's not too far away too.. i can imagine swindon being a bit of a shit hole... i keep thinking of fake englishy sounding shithole town names.. Spackton on Trent

this is me at the Swindon Travel Tavern.. god help me

imalanpartridge_1.jpg

Bristol is your best bet for gigs you can actually get to. Train is the easiest way to get there especially if you can blag yourself a student rail card.

Swindon means Pig Hill in old english. But that makes it sound a lot nicer than, infact, it actaully is.

Swindon. FUCK. Thats the shithole we ended up in when Amy's van died during an easpa measa tour. Spent the night in the dead van in a scrap yard. 7 of us and the backline, luckily we stopped in a supermarket before the crust wagon died and had enough beer for the night. Morale of the story : loads of beer during your stay and you'll be grand.

thats the plan!
heh, eric was telling me about that, living in a scrap yard for a couple of days!

The scrap yard is probably the most interesting part of Swindon. I haven't lived there for about 8 years. But even still there is not a single place I think of to reccomend you to eat in, drink at, walk to, buy music at, or poo in.

!cheezy

From This is Wiltshire:

Swindon Old Town Festival
[SIZE=+1]Medieval Banquet [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]menu[/SIZE]
First course
Thick vegetable soup with crusty bread and butter
Second course
Game pate
Third course

Hog Roast
New potatoes & salad
Fourth course
Apple tart
Fifth course
Scones and jam
Sixth course

Cheeses, pickles, and fresh fruit
Seventh course

Tea, coffee and truffles

Served by wenches and pages.

you should go and see the uffington white horse, it's near swindon

uff_horse302.jpg
se_uffington_horse_01.jpg

This is by far the oldest of all the white horses, and is of an entirely different design to the others. Unlike the solid and more or less naturalistic figures of the other horses, the Uffington white horse is formed from stylized curving lines some ten feet or less wide, and its length of around 365 feet makes it over twice as long as the longest of the Wiltshire horses. Whether it is indeed intended to represent a horse, or some other creature instead, has been debated, but it has certainly been called a horse since at least medieval times. A cartulary of the Abbey of Abingdon from between 1072 and 1084 refers to "the place commonly known as the White Horse Hill" ("locum qui vulgo mons albi equi nuncupatur").
Until 1995 the Uffington white horse was thought to date from the Iron Age. However, in the nineteen-nineties, a new dating technique was developed. This technique, optical stimulated luminescence dating (OSL), can show how long soil has been hidden from sunlight. The lines of the horse consist of trenches dug in the hillside, then filled with chalk. OSL testing of soil from between the lower layers of that chalk shows that it has been buried since between 1400 BC and 600 BC, and probably between 1200 BC and 800 BC, and thus the horse is of Bronze Age origin.
The original purpose of this horse is unknown. It may have been the emblem of a local tribe, and have been cut as a totem or badge marking their land, or it may have had a religious purpose or significance. The horse-goddess Epona was worshipped by the Celts in Gaul, and she had a counterpart in Britain, Rhiannon, so the Uffington white horse may have been cut by adherents of a cult of the horse-goddess.
Alternatively, the horse could have been cut by worshippers of the sun god Belinos or Belenus, who was associated with horses. He was sometimes depicted on horseback, and Bronze and Iron Age sun chariots were shown as being drawn by horses. Conceivably, if this suggestion is correct, the horse could have been cut on the shallower slope at the top of the hill in order to be seen from above by the god himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back