Support Ireland AND Palestine this Saturday (1 Viewer)

pitsu

Website
Visit site
Support IRELAND and PALESTINE on June 4th

Ireland play Israel in the second leg of the World Cup Qualifiers in Lansdowne Rd. on Saturday, June 4th.

As Palestinian solidarity campaigners and football supporters, we want to use this important sporting occasion to bring attention to the plight of the Palestinian population who, for the past 38 years, have endured a brutal military occupation that includes curfews, closures, checkpoints and deliberate destruction of homes, civilian infrastructure and farmland. In effect - ethnic cleansing.

We are urging those attending the Ireland -v- Israel match to show solidarity by displaying the flag of Palestine, so that our protest will be seen worldwide by people watching the match.

Racism in Israeli football
The Israeli government counters charges of racism and ill-treatment of Palestinians by pointing to the inclusion of two Arab-Israeli players in the Israeli team. In reality, these team members have been subjected to vile racist taunting at both Israeli league and international matches by sections of Israeli football fans. "No Arabs, no terrorism" is one such chant regularly heard at games.

Repression of Palestinian Football Team
Whatever about the abuse meted out to Israeli players of Palestinian descent, the situation faced by the Palestinian team as a result of Israeli apartheid is a lot more serious. Severe travel restrictions have hampered the team’s attempt to qualify for the World Cup. Israel prevented 5 players from travelling to the World Cup qualifier against Uzbekistan. Team members are regularly detained at checkpoints and prevented from travelling to and from practice and games.

Dying for the Game
The Israeli government’s commitment to ‘fair play’ in sport was witnessed most recently in Rafah refugee camp in Gaza. On the 9th of April 2005, a group of boys were playing football in an open area when the ball was kicked towards the border fence. When the kids ran after it, Israeli soldiers opened fire at them, killing two, aged 14 and 15. It is conceivable that by Kick Off on June 4th, other such atrocities will have occurred.

Politics and Sport
Some people say that politics and sport don’t mix and that politics should be kept out of sport. We argue that the two are often inseparable. The families and friends of the kids in Rafah and across Palestine might tend to agree.

As sports fans ourselves, we can point to examples in history where sporting events have been used by callous governments to influence their political standing abroad. The international rugby tour by the South African Springboks was intended to bolster the image of apartheid abroad. The economic and sporting boycott of South Africa in the 1980s had a huge effect in raising public awareness and helped to bring down Apartheid.

SOME FACTS
o Over 3,600 Palestinians have been killed by the Israeli army since September 2000. 722 of these were children.

o Over 12,500 homes demolished and over 60,000 people made homeless.

o 87 sick and injured, including children, have died at checkpoints as a result of being denied passage to hospitals.

o The restriction of movement and the deliberate destruction of Palestinian infrastructure have meant in the almost total collapse of the Palestinian economy.

++++++++++++++

We urge all Irish people, and especially football fans, to join the campaign to highlight injustice in Palestine by flying the flag on June 4th. Flags will be distributed outside Lansdowne Road.

We ask fans to bring in flags and banners and display them during the match.

++++++++++++++

Events on June 4th in Dublin

Central Bank, Dame St. * 3pm * Street Theatre + March to

Israeli Embassy * 5pm * Picket

Lansdowne Road * from 6pm * Leafleting & flags distribution for Match

++++++++++++++

Want to help the campaign?
Phone 085 7207775 or e-mail [email protected]

even though I appreciate where you are coming from, I feel uncomfortable with this football match being used as a platform to express the political opinions of a group of people.

I personally don't think it's the time or the place for such an event and don't see what can be gained from the excercise.

just sayin'

At least some of the Israeli team are Palestinians, so it would be pretty stupid to boo the whole team. Still, I am in favour of the protest in general, look at the effect the banning of South Africa from sporting events had on the regime there, it gave a huge boost to the Anti-Apartheid movement, I think there is plenty of room for politics in sport.

pitsu said:
SOME FACTS
o Over 3,600 Palestinians have been killed by the Israeli army since September 2000. 722 of these were children.

o Over 12,500 homes demolished and over 60,000 people made homeless.

o 87 sick and injured, including children, have died at checkpoints as a result of being denied passage to hospitals.

o The restriction of movement and the deliberate destruction of Palestinian infrastructure have meant in the almost total collapse of the Palestinian economy.

Since you're posting figures, how many Israeli's have been blown to shit by Palestinian suicide bombers?

I'm sympathethic to the cause but horrible atrocities have been commited on both sides.

Personally I think that if they want to protest outside the stadium then fine but the match itself should be just about football.

while I think sport should be a platform for dialogue i don't think it is right to ignore the issue for the cause of sport.

Unicron said:
Since you're posting figures, how many Israeli's have been blown to shit by Palestinian suicide bombers?

I'm sympathethic to the cause but horrible atrocities have been commited on both sides.

Personally I think that if they want to protest outside the stadium then fine but the match itself should be just about football.

it's pretty much universally accepted (even by the israeli government) that far more palestinians than israelis have been killed in the current intifada, much the same as how it was in the first intifada. current figures for the al-aqsa intifada are approximately 3,020 palestinians and approximately 700 israelis killed.

of course, as with absolutely everything about the israel/palestine conflict, there is plenty of shouting on both sides as to what amounts to a 'casualty' and who exactly 'counts' in the tallies, but the general trend is undeniable.

this also is only one of the more obvious statistics; more revealing ones would be the number of prisoners, for example, or the restrictions on movement for pretty much every palestinian in the occupied territories.

there were protests against the south african rugby team during apartheid; this is a similar situation.

all these facts and figures about casualties etc. are great and all...but what does this have to do with football ?

should football, if it is to be politicised, be a platform for uniting people or a plaftorm for creating discord and tension ?

Why not protest outside the Israeli embassy instead...would this not be more productive ?

I was handing out fliers for this before the Boh's game in Bray a couple of weeks ago. While alot of people were interested, "whats this about, oh really", or supportive "where can i get the football jersey", "where can i get a flag", "we'll be there supporting", some people were ignorant pricks, "shove your flier up your ass", "fuck off", "what the fuck has this go to do with football"

Well since your asking what has "this" got to do with football.....
Why have a number of the Palestinian team been unable to attend the qualifiers,
Why do they not have training in Gaza/West Bank, but have to go to Egyot and Jordan to train,
Why to they have to ask the Israeli government permission to leave, and go thru numerious check points...

"The Ireland-Israel match isn' the place to bring it up....."
Why not? It makes more Irish people aware of the situation
It makes the Israeli's know we do care and watch what is happening to the Palestinians...

I unfortunately wont be able to attend, but I hope plenty of people support it..... but also act in the right way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back