Sunbear album reissued (1 Viewer)

I remember meeting Martin and Paul in the Fox and Pheasant in 1993. They were really nice blokes. In fact I didn't think I'd ever met people as nice as them before. When they told me they were in a band together called 'Sunbear'. I thought:

'Uh oh. What happens if these really nice blokes turn out to be in a really shit band. That's going to be really awkward.'

About a month later I saw them play in the Attic and my jaw was on the floor. They were amazing to watch. I had to beg them for a support.

Then one night Martin and one of the others (I've forgotten who) were walking home through O'Connell street and they bumped into Thurston Moore and co who signed their guitars. I remember the shit eating grin on Martin's face when he showed off his Les Paul copy to us in the Rock Garden; replete with Thurston's autograph. I was kind of jealous of that encounter. (That and the fact that they had a song dedicated to them when Sonic Youth played at Dailymount – Bastards!)

Anyway, Sunbear had my band support them a few times. They had huge crowds compared to most other bands at the time and it seemed as though every second weekend there was another A&R man flown over from London to check them out.

So I watched as these two unassuming lads who I'd met in the Fox and Pheasant courted stardom — and all because they'd touched off the hem of SY's tunic.

It's great to see their album re-released. I've lost a lot of the records from that time. I hope there are more re-issues on their way. Good times.

I remember meeting Martin and Paul in the Fox and Pheasant in 1993. They were really nice blokes. In fact I didn't think I'd ever met people as nice as them before. When they told me they were in a band together called 'Sun Bear' I thought

'Uh oh. What happens if these really nice blokes turn out to be in a really shit band. That's going to be really awkward.'

About a month later I saw them play in the Attic and my jaw was on the floor. They were amazing to watch. Then one night Martin and one of the others (I've forgotten who) were walking home through O'Connell street and they bumped into Thurston Moore and co who signed their guitars for them. I remember the shit eating grin on Martin's face when he showed me his Les Paul copy to us in the Rock Garden; replete with Moore's signature. I was kinda jealous of that encounter. (That and the fact that they had a song dedicated to them when Sonic Youth played at Dailymount – Bastards!)

Anyway, Sunbear had my band support them a few times. They had huge crowds compared to most other bands at the time and it seemed as though every second weekend there was another A&R man flown over from London to check them out.

So I watched as these two unassuming lads who I'd met in the Fox and Pheasant courted stardom – and all because they'd touched off the hem of SY's tunic.

Ah well, it's great to see their album re-released. I've lost a lot of the records from that time. I hope there are more on the way. Good times.

of course.

I don't have it on CD, think there's a taped copy somewhere.

I think I might have two copies on CD

I used to anyway, one was a back up... is that way dorky?

I have three copies of Black Foliage by OTC, two on CD and one on vinyl... in case a solar flare wipes all the words CDs, I still have the vinyl...

that is way, way dorky...

if I can find the two Sewing Room CDs I'll happily send you one on

I think I might have two copies on CD

I used to anyway, one was a back up... is that way dorky?

I have three copies of Black Foliage by OTC, two on CD and one on vinyl... in case a solar flare wipes all the words CDs, I still have the vinyl...

that is way, way dorky...

if I can find the two Sewing Room CDs I'll happily send you one on

nice one!

I have dorky second copies of a number of James Last titles.

VG+ and NM-

I remember meeting Martin and Paul in the Fox and Pheasant in 1993. They were really nice blokes. In fact I didn't think I'd ever met people as nice as them before. When they told me they were in a band together called 'Sunbear'. I thought:

About a month later I saw them play in the Attic and my jaw was on the floor. They were amazing to watch. I had to beg them for a support.

Then one night Martin and one of the others (I've forgotten who) were walking home through O'Connell street and they bumped into Thurston Moore and co who signed their guitars. I remember the shit eating grin on Martin's face when he showed off his Les Paul copy to us in the Rock Garden; replete with Thurston's autograph. I was kind of jealous of that encounter. (That and the fact that they had a song dedicated to them when Sonic Youth played at Dailymount – Bastards!)

So I watched as these two unassuming lads who I'd met in the Fox and Pheasant courted stardom — and all because they'd touched off the hem of SY's tunic.

It's great to see their album re-released. I've lost a lot of the records from that time. I hope there are more re-issues on their way. Good times.

What was your band called?

Hello to all. We were gonna join to tell you all about our album being re-issued, but AOBOA being the sound lad that he is had told you all anyhow. But we then did a search for ourselves on the forums for curiosity sake and discovered talk of embarrassing press shots, coming at gigs, etc etc. Oh the stuff we have missed! But we are here now and happy to answer any questions of the Sunbear days! They really were THE DAYS!

This morning we released a Sunbear rarities collection - even rarer than rare in some cases as several of the songs were unreleased - including the band's 2 EPs 'Bits and Pieces' and 'Dog'.

It costs €4 and the first 20 people to buy it get a free CD of the bands eponymous debut.

The album is streaming in full on indiecater with a free track to download.

Sunbear on Indiecater

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back