sun kil moon (1 Viewer)

spady said:
Amazing in a similar way to "Old Ramon" (songs about cats and other bullshit) or amazing in a similar way to "Rollercoaster" (songs with meaningful lyrics and it sounded like he still gave a shit).

I never got that whole thing about people raving about "Old Ramon" - it's shite compared to the other albums. A fact reflected in the disturbingly bad show they put on in the Olympia just after its release.... in comparison to the solo show he did in HQ a few months before.
amazing in a similar way to "Songs For A Blue Guitar"

"Old Ramon" - definitely RHP lowpoint - still good though

Gino Padula said:
my top 4 rhp albums

1. the rollercoaster one (fave song: strawberry hill)
2. down colorful hill (fave song: japanese to english)
3. ocean beach (fave song: brockwell park)
4. the japanese gardens one (fave song: uncle joe)

(songs for a blue guitar and old ramon are arguably solo mark kozelek albums, and anyway, i wouldn't be a major fan of either.)
Rollercoaster with Songs For A Blue Guitar second
then Ocean Beach, Down Colourful Hill, RHP II and Old Ramon
the Shock Me EP is great too

the second CD on the 4AD comp is interesting

Pantone247 said:
also that 10", IO asked Road to oreder it for me and they said they couldn't, then they obviously could.... blast! Thats the first release on Cameroon Crowes record label, for that reason alone I would've coughed up for it.
yeah they also got the second 10" in that series in at the same time - the 3 track Low one. Not marvellous but something of a grower

Gino Padula said:
p.s. where can you order the moon kills sun album? amazon? i'm too lazy to look.
I got it off lunamusic
www.lunamusic.net

they are the place to get GBV-related stuff so as I was looking for the Edison's Demos LP anyway and I think they are the only place selling it so I decided to take advantage of the weak dollar rate and get a few other bits
Sun Kil Moon cost $13.99

nlgbbbblth said:
fair fucks to Road for getting it in

€25.99 I see Zaireeka there

paid over €40 for it in HMV a while back:confused:

have you the necessary 4 stereos?

I'm trying to organise a night for it, but need to get an extra stereo, I've heard it before, but my smoked out brain was more taken with the whole syncing up the CDs comedy, then how it actually sounded.

I think the whole thing is one of the best ideas for an album ever.

The first CD sounds pretty great on its on, just Bass and drums and the reverb off the vocals for the most part, sort of cool.

Pantone247 said:
I'm trying to organise a night for it, but need to get an extra stereo, I've heard it before, but my smoked out brain was more taken with the whole syncing up the CDs comedy, then how it actually sounded.

I think the whole thing is one of the best ideas for an album ever.

The first CD sounds pretty great on its on, just Bass and drums and the reverb off the vocals for the most part, sort of cool.

Zaireeka is an incredible album. It's a real pity that band have become so awfully bland and unambitious.

There's so much to recommend Zaireeka though, it's hard to know where to start.

Janitor Jaxin said:
Zaireeka is an incredible album. It's a real pity that band have become so awfully bland and unambitious.

I like Soft Bulletten a lot, but Yoshi just seemed like they we're going thru the motions. the tunes were there I guess, but production wise it felt really tame.
Also, I mean ripping off Cat Stevens... that just seemed at a cop out.

Janitor Jaxin said:

Zaireeka is great but I've only heard it once. In the Da club (Zaireeka became the support act for one night for the band I used to play in). Nobody listened to it or really knew what it was but it sounded deadly. I was at a Flaming Lips gig around the same time where they did the whole ghettoblaster thing. About 100 people sitting in a room, each of us were given Ghettoblasters, turned them all on at the same time, and you got to control your own volume knob! So not only was I at the best Flaming Lips gig I was IN the Flaming Lips for an hour or so. Me and 99 other nerds that is.

I think Zaireeka should be played at the Ballroom or Lazybird or something ....

holy shit! a thread that actually disscusses music...

it's been a while...

I'm suprised at all the hatred for Old Ramon... but then again I'm just a blow in when it comes to rhp... I discovered them only when they had a vertion of Have You Forgotten on the Vanilla Sky Soundtrack (i know i know)

still... The second cd of the retrospective contains some amazing tunes and is prolly my fave although not a proper ablum, I love the way some of the tunes have the tape chewed up during... and the acoustic vertion of shock me is amazing...

Rollercoaster is a grower, great songs but fuckin awful production... old ramone is a great driving album, not round town but out on the "open road"

I also thing the vertion of ac/dc's if you want blood is great...

I posted up a link to a sun kill moon mp3 a few weeks ago ... it's good... no big surprises...

hugh said:
Zaireeka is great but I've only heard it once. In the Da club (Zaireeka became the support act for one night for the band I used to play in). Nobody listened to it or really knew what it was but it sounded deadly. I was at a Flaming Lips gig around the same time where they did the whole ghettoblaster thing. About 100 people sitting in a room, each of us were given Ghettoblasters, turned them all on at the same time, and you got to control your own volume knob! So not only was I at the best Flaming Lips gig I was IN the Flaming Lips for an hour or so. Me and 99 other nerds that is.

I think Zaireeka should be played at the Ballroom or Lazybird or something ....
I remember that Hugh, I was there... the one and only time I heard that album

hugh said:

I think Zaireeka should be played at the Ballroom or Lazybird or something ....[/QUOTE

In theory, it would be a great thing to have Zaireeka at Lazybird or something until you start to look at how you'd actually do it. In fact the Lazybird guys had scheduled it for one night, but it didn't work out because:
You need to be able to set up 4 stereos, preferably one in each corner of the room. Not really feasible in the International.
It's better if it's in a big open area where people can walk around between each stereo and mess with the volume controls - you often end up walking towards your favourite sounds.

It just works better in a good size living room with a load of mates.

Janitor Jaxin said:
hugh said:

I think Zaireeka should be played at the Ballroom or Lazybird or something ....[/QUOTE

In theory, it would be a great thing to have Zaireeka at Lazybird or something until you start to look at how you'd actually do it. In fact the Lazybird guys had scheduled it for one night, but it didn't work out because:
You need to be able to set up 4 stereos, preferably one in each corner of the room. Not really feasible in the International.
It's better if it's in a big open area where people can walk around between each stereo and mess with the volume controls - you often end up walking towards your favourite sounds.

It just works better in a good size living room with a load of mates.
ok 4 stereos blaring
imagine recording it onto a cdr

wonder what that would sound like

nlgbbbblth said:
ok 4 stereos blaring
imagine recording it onto a cdr

wonder what that would sound like

I'm tempted to multi track the 4cds and mix it to normal stereo tracks

but it's fair to say that would totally miss the point

Recording an actual 'live' performace' of it would be interesting but....

An interesting plus of the set is, for geeks like me, you can hear all the individual elements speratly and really see what they're dong production wise on their records. (e.g. the clear drum sounds on some CDs at points give you a chance to hear how heavily compressed and roomy they really are, which is what makes them sound so huge)

d'ya reckon kozelek will play any RHP stuff on monday in the village as sun kill moon? and it'll be cool to catch adem too!!!

ostrichsyndrome said:
saw them at primavera, they were really fucking good. also cant find the album...
i think its in tower...at least thats where i think the person who burned it for me got it...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back